Possible Airfix 1/72 Avro Lincoln

T-21

A recent Airfix Workbench showed the LIDAR scanning of the DH Mosquito B.35 in the RAF Museum Cosford. One of the photographs by the Airfx design team was taken from the Captains seat of the preserved Avro Lincoln. As the team gained access to the Lincoln to save costs did they also scan the Lincoln ? Hoping maybe to see a kit release in the future, would it sell well ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The aircraft of the same name was used by Australia and Argentina - so more marking options.
On the other hand, the Manchester was used during WW2 and an interesting comparison to the Lancaster.

Would be a nice quad boxing from Airfix; Manchester, Lancaster, Lincoln & Shackleton  

Abraham_Lincoln_O-77_matte_collodion_pri

• Like 3

They were actually scanning the Miles Monitor that RAFM found at the back of a hangar when they finally moved a load of left over promo material for the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain that had been on the curator's 'to do' list for some time. Airfix hope to get two releases out, one in RAF markings and the other as a Royal Navy aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

In truth, I would be very happy with a Lincoln (And a Manchester!!)

I don't really mind who produces either as long as they are in a proper scale (1/72).

As would I, although I would be even happier with a Lancastrian.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

That's a good idea. Maybe Airfix could reissue at some point with alternative parts included.?
 As they did with the Whitley.

Probably a more complex conversion. The transport variant of the Airfix Whitley has fairings which are a direct replacement for the turret parts but is otherwise largely the same as the bomber variant.

I stand to be corrected but I think fitting Lancastrian nose and tail fairings to the existing Airfix Lancaster kit would necessitate some cutting of the Lancaster fuselage halves. Realistically they would probably need to produce completely new Lancastrian fuselage parts. All perfectly doable of course but it does push up their production costs.

Airfix don't do 'conversions' of the type you describe.

Better look to ?Blackbird? who did a conversion from a Lancaster to a Lincoln.  Not for beginners but a posting, some years ago, showed that in skilled hands a fine result could be produced.

The same goes for a Manchester, oft requested of Airfix.  On the Hannants website there are future Blackbird conversions (or should it be 'reverse engineering') from a Lancaster.

True these are all Avro, but why does nobody want an Albemarle?  An important type, no line up would be complete without it...

The Blackbird Manchester came out in at least in 2018 as I bought one off Glenn at SMW that year. 

I think the if difference between taking a punt on a relatively (to some aanyway) lesser known, but smallish aircraft like the Swift and a much larger aircraft like the Lincoln is that a loss on the Swift is probably bearable. Not seen many Swift kits around, so did Airfix manage to offload the first run that presumably covered costs? The Swift kit always surprised me the 'new' Airfix seemed to be following a very safe path in terms of releases. 

7 hours ago, -Ian- said:

I stand to be corrected but I think fitting Lancastrian nose and tail fairings to the existing Airfix Lancaster kit would necessitate some cutting of the Lancaster fuselage halves. Realistically they would probably need to produce completely new Lancastrian fuselage parts. All perfectly doable of course but it does push up their production costs.

It would involve two fairly simple cuts, no more complex than the one needed for the glass-nosed Wellington kit. A more difficult job would be to work in the cabin windows, which would probably mean that a complete new fuselage would be a better option. I'd still be on for several, though!

On 2/26/2021 at 12:11 PM, Beermonster1958 said:

Of course, I have no doubt that we will now see hordes of modellers rushing forward to give all sorts of reasons, based on who knows what, that will tell us that such kits would be "not economically viable" or, "commercial suicide".

Have you ever wondered about the background of the many members of this forum ? Maybe some collaborate or have collaborated with model companies. Maybe some own or have owned hobby shops. Maybe some have been involved in the hobby at a professional level. Maybe some have been in the hobby for long enough to know people who are professionally involved and have collected information. Maybe some have seen companies coming and going and seen which kits flew off the shelves and which remained unsold for ages. Maybe some are professionally involved in markets that have similarities with our hobby

So maybe when some members discuss the commercial potential of something do so based on their own experience, some even their professional experience... may not be always the case so you can sure classify any such comment under the "these guys don't know anything label" but may well be that sometime when members comment on this they do it because they do know one thing or two... 😉

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 8

Some very good points Giorgio, although I have never been directly involved in kit design, production or sales, I have spoken to enough people who do all three to understand a bit of where manufacturers come from.  Like everyone else I have an aircraft (other subjects are available) that I would like to see being done and my heart thinks would be a seller. My head however knows it might happen, but perhaps better get the short run Aeroclub kit out. If your livelihood depends on getting subject choices right, then you have to think very carefully about what you are going to produce. Much as I would like a Lincoln from Airfix and would love to be proved wrong, I think it is too big a kit to risk, especially given the still  delicate financial position of the Hornby group. 

I have it on good authority that Revell will reissue the entire range of 1/32 WNW kits before Airfix will release a Lincoln in ANY scale.   You can take that to the bank.  😇

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, John Thompson said:

No, no - you're wrong - the whole world is desperately awaiting the entire Yak-9/VK-105 family, in 1/72 - LALALALALA - I CAN'T HEAR YOU - LA LA LA LA LAAAAA... :mental:

John

Vulcan b1 Vulcan b1 Vulcan b1 Vulcan b1