"Flying" display stands for 1:72 aircraft

worcesterjohn

There's a couple of models I'm thinking of building that I would like to display flying. Can anyone direct me to the best, inexpensive display stands on the market ? Back in the day we used to get a little stand with Airfix kits FOC. I've looked at a few stands that are just plastic but cost more than the kits I'm building ! I'm Scottish, so I can't buy these as I would come out in a rash !! 🤣

• Haha 1

I have built a couple of bases from wood. All I do is varnish/wax/paint the edge then find a relative pic from the internet, print off and fix to base. I then get a piece of 2 or 3mm brass square bar and bend it in a slight 'U' shape (or however you wish to pose your model) and fix one end in base , the other in the airframe (done during the build so you have something to locate the square bar into) and that is pretty much it.

Here is one I baked earlier;

33783043748_791360278b_c.jpg

After I took this pick I cleaned up the base, printed of a picture of RAF Khormaksar taken from several thousand feet, fixed and then waxed the edge of the wood. This idea employs 'forced perspective' and I find it effective. I will put a better pick up this weekend if you wish.

The only cost is the brass bar, I think you get 3 in a pack so potentially up to 3 stands.

All the best

Gary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I have built a couple of bases from wood. All I do is varnish/wax/paint the edge then find a relative pic from the internet, print off and fix to base. I then get a piece of 2 or 3mm brass square bar and bend it in a slight 'U' shape (or however you wish to pose your model) and fix one end in base , the other in the airframe (done during the build so you have something to locate the square bar into) and that is pretty much it.

Here is one I baked earlier;

33783043748_791360278b_c.jpg

After I took this pick I cleaned up the base, printed of a picture of RAF Khormaksar taken from several thousand feet, fixed and then waxed the edge of the wood. This idea employs 'forced perspective' and I find it effective. I will put a better pick up this weekend if you wish.

The only cost is the brass bar, I think you get 3 in a pack so potentially up to 3 stands.

All the best

Gary.

That's Brilliant Gary, and amazingly one of the two builds I have in mind for this is a EA Lightning F.2A. That looks so much better than a plastic stand. I'd love to see a photo of the finished base with the "forced perspective". Any tips for bending the brass bar so you get a nice even curve ? or is it a pretty easy job ? I've never worked with brass bar before.

4 minutes ago, worcesterjohn said:

Any tips for bending the brass bar

Not really, I do it by hand as it is a simple 'U' shape and a slight twist to give it a 'banking' look. If you wanted a more intricate pose I would have to experiment first but the good thing with brass is that it is pliable but don't bend too many times in one spot otherwise it will crack. I do use a modelling vice and pliers to put a twist in.

Here you are.

50959869346_2a3e3a3a54_c.jpg

50959969257_b60a1fc9df_c.jpg

Ignore the shadow, I have just hastily taken the pic indoors.

The Lightning is a great subject for this sort of stand because you could pose it in so many dramatic positions. Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Not really, I do it by hand as it is a simple 'U' shape and a slight twist to give it a 'banking' look. If you wanted a more intricate pose I would have to experiment first but the good thing with brass is that it is pliable but don't bend too many times in one spot otherwise it will crack. I do use a modelling vice and pliers to put a twist in.

Here you are.

50959869346_2a3e3a3a54_c.jpg

50959969257_b60a1fc9df_c.jpg

Ignore the shadow, I have just hastily taken the pic indoors.

The Lightning is a great subject for this sort of stand because you could pose it in so many dramatic positions. Good luck with your build.

Brilliant Gary thanks.

• Like 1