Dynavector 1/48 Douglas A2D-1 Skyshark- The Skyraiders "Younger Brother"Finished

9 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Interesting subject for sure. 

It looks like the Wyvern that ate all the pies!

Q

As David H mentioned earlier, It was like Douglas had a "Hold my beer moment" when it learned of the Wyvern. But the U.S never quite got the hang of making Counter-rotating  work consistently.:drink:

• Like 1

Last of the printing done, I think, finished up the bang seat. I split it between 3 main parts plus the yoke. 

50979635258_8a0e1874b9_c.jpg

Rotten thing is on the head rest one of the ejection handles broke off I'll have to see if I can bend some thin wire to make a stand in. As thin as they are I'm surprised I still have one.

50980341646_8a1767375c_c.jpg

• Like 4

All painted up and ready to install

50979635238_28a4d02712_c.jpg

Went with the stock white metal instrument panel

50979635288_cba5ab16ba_c.jpg

Masking tape for belts and I've run out of spare belt hardware so I took some very thin wire and wound it to make harness buckles and brass wire to make the buckle clips.

The oxygen hose is from small wire with thread wound around to make the corrugation.

• Like 5

With that all installed time to add the wings.

50980341681_219958806e_c.jpg[

The fit for once came out surprisingly good, which for me is a minor miracle.

50979635303_25b5075769_c.jpg

Painted the wheel wells and speedbrake/tail wheel  boxes. I'll add a touch of filler at the joins,  then finish off the flaps area and add the control  surfaces  before laying paint. 

It's starting to look like the Skyraider's younger brother, a humpbacked, pug nosed brother, but a Douglas family member none the less.

• Like 6

I really like to see these Dynavector kits go together Loren - this is an interesting aircraft - I am working through a Scimitar and I really think the Dynavector maker really  produced some convincing kits - shame they are no longer around.

CJP

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CJP said:

I really like to see these Dynavector kits go together Loren - this is an interesting aircraft - I am working through a Scimitar and I really think the Dynavector maker really  produced some convincing kits - shame they are no longer around.

CJP

Thanks CJP, they do spoil you as to quality and what not. The Scimitar is on my wish list, I may find one somewheres one of these days that's affordable.🤔

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Something for everyone in this build - vac, white metal, 3D printing and good old-fashioned modelling cojones! Looking good.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian it has been challenge in a few spots.

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

Excellent job so far. I’m really impressed (and jealous) of your 3D printing skills - the bang seat looks great!

Thanks BIllin. Some parts of the bang seat are the smallest and thinnest I've done so for, hence pieces breaking off with my hamfisted movements. And I've learned the limitations of the durability of the resin as well. Like the Counter prop system. A regular ABS printer might be more able to handle the stresses of movement but not too sure it can print at that detail level for the scale. But like anything else its all OTJ and I figure I can do it cuz I aint never not done it.:hmmm:MOre updates on the way soon.

Managed to get a fair bit done today, after smoothing out wing joins I added the control surfaces

50983417557_8583e276aa_c.jpg

For the flaps I covered the interior portion with some plastic strip and layered a coating of glazing in a curved shape.

50983311886_4dcf5000c6_c.jpg

And added Milliput to the flaps themselves as the upper portion of the flap is narrower than the bottom, fitting underneath the wing.

50983417477_3368d108f2_c.jpg[once they harden the I can round the ends and smooth everything else.

Added the more of the external bits, antennas, rocket rails, catapult hooks and guns. I'm entirely sold on the look of the guns. I might just cut some sections of brass rod and replace them

as they bend real easily.

50982607628_b444fb111d_c.jpg

I'll let this dry over night and with luck I can begin shooting a layer of paint. Since this is an experimental test unit and not an active duty unit, I'm not going to add much weathering to it.

• Like 4

Pretty hefty beast! It's no B-36 but still a big aircraft for a single-seater.

You've really brought it under control and maintained your good humor throughout! Good job, sir!

• Thanks 1

Interesting subject and looking good so far. I hadn't seen a Dynavector kit until recently, that is until I purchased the Sea Vixen and the Gannet. The Gannet is off the carrier sheet. The Sea Vixen is mint, can't understand why, as I recently sold off my Airfix kit!!!

I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Alan P said:

Pretty hefty beast! It's no B-36 but still a big aircraft for a single-seater.

You've really brought it under control and maintained your good humor throughout! Good job, sir!

Thank God for that🥴 But you're right it is a hulking beast for sure.

3 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Interesting subject and looking good so far. I hadn't seen a Dynavector kit until recently, that is until I purchased the Sea Vixen and the Gannet. The Gannet is off the carrier sheet. The Sea Vixen is mint, can't understand why, as I recently sold off my Airfix kit!!!

I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin

Thanks Colin, I have the Gannet in the stash to build eventually. The Sea VIxen I just finished for the Interceptor GB Its a good kit. be wary of the taik pylons though, I had one slightly twisted and didn't catch until too late. not a bad deformation but enough to notice. HAd I caught it sooner I could have softened the plastic in warm water and corrected the twist. BUt live and learn. Be warned, Dynavector models will spoil you when doing any other vacs though.

Thanks for the pointer Loren, I may have a crack at another Airifx kit but not overly worried due to it's size. The Gannet however, I worked on as sproggy air mech in the FAA, so there is a connection. I also have a chance at a Classic Airframes injection kit, sadly at a price!

I don't look at the quality of vacform kits and compare the, they are all a challenge of orts. It's just a pity more modellers don't consider trying one.

Colin

I agree Colin they are fun and challenging. And for the most part as easy as an injection kit. The Gannet I have When its time I'm going to do a rare wings folded look.  That always reminded me of something from the Karate Kid, and it takes up less space. I have to replenish my stock of FAA colours and clear out some shelf of doom deadwood before I start it.

Vacforms appear to be a dieing breed.  Nowadays short run stuff seems to be all resin and will probably soon be 3D printed.

I’d quite cheerfully build a vac or two if I could find one in the right scale that I want to build. But I at least have made a few home brewed ones.

Home brewed is always a great way to go, it its feasible. With the demise of, both Koster and Combat/Roberts models to name a few, I'm finding it harder and harder to locate subjects in 1/48  that aren't the typical mainstream. Combat models wasn't in the same league as Dynavector or Aeroclub, but he did have some nice subjects that now unfortunately probably wont get reproduced. With a little care ,finesse and some stout budgeoning you could make a nice model out of them . But his were definitely not for the beginner. Unless I get lucky and find them at a garage sale or on evilbay for next to nothing I'll have to go the route of total scratch build or 3d print as you say. Although my little Mars isn't quite big enough to do the hulking monsters I'd like to do. I've been contemplating restarting an old XB-35 I had shelved  7-8 years ago. I think now I can finish i to a respectable level that I want. But first I have to finish this Shark and see if I can clear enough space on the bench for something thats got a 4 1/2 Ft wingspan. So we'll see.

Finishing up small stuff here, added extra braces and cabling to the tailwheel.

50992702638_0e89c9201d_c.jpg+

Cut off the old guns and used some .010 Brass tubing

50992702603_c40e526bfb_c.jpg

Although hard to see I added some thin strip to the canopy back for a little bit of detail. hopefully it will show up once I've painted it .

Specking of painting, got the dark blue on and a couple of coats of clear lacquer to make it nice and shiny. I still have to mask off for the exhaust ports. And I installed the prop.

Which is real nose heavy with those prop blades. IT's almost ready to fly.:pilot:

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:59 PM, LorenSharp said:

I agree Colin they are fun and challenging. And for the most part as easy as an injection kit. The Gannet I have When its time I'm going to do a rare wings folded look.  That always reminded me of something from the Karate Kid, and it takes up less space. I have to replenish my stock of FAA colours and clear out some shelf of doom deadwood before I start it.

Crack on with the Gannet, the Shelf f Doom can wait. Mine now stretches to two shelves. I just like opening boxes!!!

Colin

• Haha 1

I will be getting to it here soon, but I must knuckle down and get this shelf of "oooo look another pretty, pretty, shiny airplan..." Sorry, where was I? yes Shelf of Doom. thinned down before  I start it. Yes I know that is a futile statement.

My shelf of doom is actually shrinking 

478ac914-c5c9-4df0-b140-637caba72366.jpe

Only six projects, hardly worth mentioning. Hmm the Taube and the HP only need an hour or two each ( mostly rigging) must get the finger out and finish them. The fuselage second from the right is earmarked for the anything but injection GB ( way less than 25% of the whole build) the Jeep just needs its wheels painted, leaving the Albatros and the Swallow which are both early in their respective builds. And I only have two on the bench.

Edited by Marklo

I don't have many either, they're just Big. 4 old projects 1 going back about 7 years., Smallest and nearest done is the Lily. but the enamel paint still hasn't cured and is sticky to the touch, so it has to be stripped down and repainted once I get the Acrylic colours I need in. The Others in various stages of beginning but a lot of work to do.. But that's my resolution for this year to at least all done but the NB-52A completed. but it has to be at least 50% completed.

50997503026_39fc4e1a02_c.jpgStrip and repaint Lily, I made new canopies for the side gun blisters so it can be closed up the finish the landing gear bays on the wings

A XB-35 that I started  then realized I didn't know how to do the intakes well. I have that figured out now .

50997503026_39fc4e1a02_c.jpg

Then theres the B-47 and the NB-52A, working out where to put them when done. May have to take out my ceiling fan  The fuselage on the -47 was almost ready to close when I stopped. Need to finish rear gear bay. The -52 ha most of the cockpit done but not much else. long ways to go on that one.

50997503006_f936da9c71_c.jpg

50997621492_48f66002e0_c.jpg

All kinds of Fun!:pilot:

Back to the build at hand,  I swaped out the soft metal Pitot tubes for brass rod and thin wire fir the tip.

50998077497_b3597741f3_c.jpg

Moving to the landing gear didn't add much to the legs themselves just some thin wire for the brake cables.

50997261813_5d7e3f1c14_c.jpg

Finished off the canopy

50997963836_59ea8af8a5_c.jpg

and Finished the speed brake

50998077557_de1211963b_c.jpg

used thin rod for the hydraulics and strip for the brace and bumper.

• Like 1

Then for the next few hours  spent time building up the rest of the gear bay's bracing pistons and arms for the gear doors

50997963806_7252fd50ac_c.jpg

50998077482_52e8805858_c.jpg

50998077507_f76e6c14d4_c.jpg

50997963796_7b6df138ca_c.jpg

Had I though about it some I probably should have printed out the bracing and actuator arms and pistons, but they would have been very fragile by themselves. so this will have to do for now.

50998077462_4d8cb71eec_c.jpg

Its hard to see but after painting the exhaust areas Burnt metal, I sprayed transparent Sepia, Violet and Blue on the trailing edge of the exhaust pipe for the look of hot metal.