It's a Tornado (Jim) but not as we know it.

Hello all

Built in parallel with the An-2 here is my latest out of the shed, the Valom B-45A Tornado made completely OOB. I grew up in a small village a few miles from RAF Sculthorpe so have always fancied making one of these. My dad talked about often seeing them in the circuit, including those with RAF markings.

The plastic and resin mouldings are crisp and nicely detailed and there’s a nice little fret of etch for the finer detailed parts. I chose to finish it in the markings of the 84th BS (47th BG) circa 1952. (According to the kit instructions)

Everything is fine until you try to put it together as pretty well all the parts need reshaping to make them fit. There’s also quite a mis mould between the wing attachment points on the fuselage halves resulting in one wing appearing lower than the other. The internals are highly detailed but disappear when the fuselage is closed up which is a shame. The resin engine parts are smaller than the points they attach to resulting in big steps.

In short, a bit of a fight to get it together, but hey, that’s what short run modelling is all about. Lots of adjustment, filling and sanding. The end result doesn’t look too bad I think. Maybe the darker panels are a bit too dark.

So here it is.

Pete

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 68
  • Thanks 1

This is superb! A wonderful jet bomber of the early period that produced so many bizarre aircraft. The natural metal and the canopy frames are fantastic.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Everything is fine until you try to put it together...

With that said, you certainly tamed the beast! Wow, that's the best B-45 I've ever seen. Beautiful work.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Last 2 times I had to go to Tatterset business park I got to see the ospreys practicing at Sculthorpe

Hi, yes on the way home I've seen them there too, and a Herc on one occasion 😀

Cheers

Pete

10 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Fantastic end result with that kit! 

Had similar problems with their Voodoo attaching the wings.

Nice aluminium paint quality. Which paint did you use?

Thanks very much. I only use enamels and for metal finishes I use Humbrol 27002 as the base colour. If I want different shades of Aluminium I add Humbrol 27003 or Xtra colour greys. The whole lot is sealed in a mix of Xtra colour Matt and gloss varnishes to create a sheen.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

Looking good! Sculthorpe still seems to get a few visitors occasionally, I’ve seen Hercs and Ospreys doing circuits there. There’s an excellent Hawk & Owl Trust nature reserve just down the road too, well worth a visit! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JrivasK said:

WOW such a good job with those metallics! if you don't mind asking what paints did you used?

Thanks very much. I only use enamels and for metal finishes I use Humbrol 27002 as the base colour. If I want different shades of Aluminium I add Humbrol 27003 or Xtra colour greys. The whole lot is sealed in a mix of Xtra colour Matt and gloss varnishes to create a sheen. All of it airbrushed.

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 11:07 AM, Pete in a shed said:

Everything is fine until you try to put it together

LOL.  This is the best B-45 I've seen yet.  Really!  It's a master act on your part.

BTW: the Valetta fits together quite well, aside from the wing-to-body join, so I'd say Valom is trying to clean up its act a bit...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mike N said:

From my own experience with their RB-45C, I know how much effort you've put in to get such a fantastic result. I didn't have the guts to go for the metallic finish either, so top marks to you!

Thanks very much Mike. It became a bit of a labour of love to get it finished, although not enough love to do another one😄. But seriously, thank goodness for the smaller firms that produce models of aircraft we would otherwise not get to play with.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1