Vickers Wellington B.III X3667 of 75 (New Zealand) Squadron

I'm always looking for an excuse to build a model kit, an 'old' one if possible, and this great ANZAC GB is an excellent reason. I do have the 'new tool' Airfix kit of the Vickers Wellington but always had in mind doing the old one from 1959, which I never built in my youth. In fact, the subject that Airfix chose was B.III X3667 'AA-D' of 75 (New Zealand) Squadron - a fitting entry, I think, for this GB. Here is the 'red stripe' boxing with Roy Cross artwork - everybody's guns blazing as usual.

8pOSGfl.jpg?1

The Instructions just say it is a 75 (NZ) Squadron aircraft without mentioning any back story (as they have done for the new tool kit re. the VC for James Ward) so I'll have a dig into that. It will be interesting to see if the camouflage layout matches that of the more modern kit.

F8kKO9D.jpg?1

It's the 'locate and cement' Instructions so I'll know what all the bits actually are!

h7EiRJU.jpg?1

All the pieces are in the lovely black plastic so I'll preserve as much of that as possible in the build (it worked well on the G-George Lancaster build). A small piece has broken off at the front of the port fuselage but it was in the plastic bag. Transfers look good. 

Wyxrh0F.jpg?1

• Like 4

Great stuff Mike

Looks a lovely kit, with really bright colours on the box.

When I built my Red Stripe Airfix Hampden recently, you are absolutely right about the black plastic somehow making it a bit more special, nostalgia at it's best !

Best of luck with this one 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2021 at 16:12, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Mike

Looks a lovely kit, with really bright colours on the box.

When I built my Red Stripe Airfix Hampden recently, you are absolutely right about the black plastic somehow making it a bit more special, nostalgia at it's best !

Best of luck with this one 

Cheers Pat 

Thanks, Pat. I have spotted a few sink marks on the underside of the wings and on the lower engine intakes so maybe filling will be required and the black plastic will have to be painted after all. Also depends on how many gluey fingermarks I get on it.

I started by trying to get as many pieces assembled as possible before painting and started with the wings and engine nacelles. 

Since the undercarriage legs are clipped in and not glued, I thought I'd try out all the pieces with a view to perhaps having the undercarriage 'retractable'.

wKdCDfv.jpg

tAN9hXx.jpg

Unfortunately, the undercarriage doors have a pronounced curve and 'hinging' them with small strips of tape wasn't working out. Also, the legs seem to stick in the openings when pushed in and the doors couldn't close fully. The actuator/bracing struts for the main legs are not provided so I'll just do the gear permanently retracted - just need to check now how much of the wheels actually show when fully up. There is just a hole provided for the tailwheel, no doors - but it was actually retractable. The wheels/tyres look a bit slim and I'm sure I've read before that a shim is actually required to 'fatten' them up.

79kzuma.jpg

ZANbQch.jpg

I've made up the engine cowlings to the lower nacelles and this actually traps the propellor shafts in place, letting them retract during painting of the engines. The Wellington B.III had Bristol Hercules engines which gave 1,375hp each as opposed to the 1,000hp Pegasus's fitted to the Mk1C. That must have felt like a good increase in performance although there were an additional 2 m/g's and ammo for the tail turret to be catered for.

There is not much of an interior here and what there is seems a bit over-simplified. There's a full width cockpit floor and a big comfy chair for the 2nd Pilot as well as the Pilot but I think there is supposed to be access to the nose section through there, with perhaps a fold-down seat for the 2nd Pilot when required - he may be employed elsewhere in the aircraft at times. I'll have a look at the 'new tool' kit to see what the accurate details are for the cockpit and the other stations for the Navigator and Wireless Op. In the meantime, I've cut the cockpit floor down and raised it as well so the pilot can see out over the nose!

AbJhSki.jpg

XBU40Dm.jpg

Ready to start some painting.

haCXQCb.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 5

That is a lovely bit of nostalgia. I got this one for my birthday a bit more than fifty yeas ago; it hung from the bedroom ceiling for a good while - it seemed to take forever to build having mostly had two bob bagged kits up until then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 4:29 AM, Ventora3300 said:

of 75 (New Zealand) Squadron - a fitting entry, I think, for this GB.

Very Much a fitting entry :thumbsup:

I have the/a Airfix Wellington Mk III Kit, was going to build, but I'm missing the lower forward

transparency. Plan was  to build as BJ772 - T "Thomas Fredrick Duck"

Look forward to your build

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

On 25/02/2021 at 19:40, Aidrian said:

That is a lovely bit of nostalgia. I got this one for my birthday a bit more than fifty yeas ago; it hung from the bedroom ceiling for a good while - it seemed to take forever to build having mostly had two bob bagged kits up until then. 

That's a good memory then. Aidrian, and it still takes forever to build, going at my pace - enjoying it though.

On 18/03/2021 at 09:07, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Mike

Hows the Wellington coming along ?

Cheers Pat 

Still moving along, Pat. I just wish I hadn't also have the new tool version as I keep spotting details to be added...

On 18/03/2021 at 09:23, LDSModeller said:

Very Much a fitting entry :thumbsup:

I have the/a Airfix Wellington Mk III Kit, was going to build, but I'm missing the lower forward

transparency. Plan was  to build as BJ772 - T "Thomas Fredrick Duck"

Look forward to your build

Regards

Alan

Alan, the lower forward canopy is pretty flat so maybe a replacement could be made from plastic packaging? That's interesting about BJ772 - T "Thomas Fredrick Duck" I saw this on the Scoop Independent News webpage at https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1601/S00139/thomas-fredrick-duck-dedication-and-reunion-at-motat.htm Apparently, the artwork is displayed alongside the original ‘D’ for Duck sketch by crew member Nick Carter. It was used to paint the duck design on the Wellington AA-D bomber which flew with 75 (NZ) squadron before being destroyed by fire during a crash-landing in 1942. The ‘D’ for Duck nose art was the inspiration for the later Thomas Fredrick Duck, applied to the nose of Lancaster GT-T, which Carter also crewed.

For this particular X3667 AA-D, I looked up https://75nzsquadronremembered.wordpress.com/1942-3/ and it has:

Aircraft Arrivals.
10/2/42 Wellington III X3667 received from Vickers Armstrong Blackpool. Auth:- 41G/1934.

The first Op was:

Operations. Attack Against Targets At Essen.
Eleven Wellington III aircraft carried out an attack against the above target. Bomb load consisted of 500 lbs, 250 lbs and containers of incendiaries, and was dropped in the target area, fires and bomb bursts being seen. A strong flak defense was encountered over the target and searchlights were very active. One Me.110 was seen and one unidentified aircraft was seen to be shot down by an enemy fighter. Weather was good. Navigation was by D.R. and TR1335.

Wellington III X3667   AA.D       Up 20:05        Down 23:55
F/L Hill, C. M.                               Captain          36172
P/O Carter, C. W. P.                    2nd Pilot        NZ41874
Sgt Quinn, J. G.                            Navigator      1256373
Sgt Davies                                    W/Operator
Sgt Bosson, P. H.                         F/Gnr             NZ403754
P/O Peters                                    R/Gunner

As  I mentioned above, I have spent too long looking at the new tool Airfix Wellington kit, with the result I am filling in the empty interior of this original..... Seats for the Navigator and W/Operator still to add and the walkway to the rear turret to lower a bit.

6L5GpLS.jpg

Painting is in progress.

zIjXANd.jpg

Have a look at this clip - it shows the 'Target for Tonight' crew entering their Wellington - starting about 19:30 in the video. https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=youtube+target+for+tonight&type=E210GB885G0#id=1&vid=f5461bbcbacdd5a86d037bd0e2975d63&action=click

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Alan, the lower forward canopy is pretty flat so maybe a replacement could be made from plastic packaging? That's interesting about BJ772 - T "Thomas Fredrick Duck" I saw this on the Scoop Independent News webpage at https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1601/S00139/thomas-fredrick-duck-dedication-and-reunion-at-motat.htm Apparently, the artwork is displayed alongside the original ‘D’ for Duck sketch by crew member Nick Carter. It was used to paint the duck design on the Wellington AA-D bomber which flew with 75 (NZ) squadron before being destroyed by fire during a crash-landing in 1942. The ‘D’ for Duck nose art was the inspiration for the later Thomas Fredrick Duck, applied to the nose of Lancaster GT-T, which Carter also crewed.

I had thought about that, using some clear Plastic to form a new transparency (see how we go :waiting:

as I have few builds underway).

I actually have  photos taken at MOTAT of the Duck motif and original art if you're interested?

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wellington  X3667 AA-D is still making progress with the W/Op and Nav positions being painted and the crew being kitted up. Seats were made, using the original 2nd pilot's seat and parts from the re-shaped cockpit floor. The original Airfix crew of four has been augmented with a couple of volunteers from a Quad and 25pdr Field Gun kit - the moulded sitting position was important and the forage caps were re-shaped to be flying helmets.

UpV31AQ.jpg

The crew are now in.

pKPpk99.jpg

The 2nd Pilot is perched on a fold down seat - he will lean back against the bulkhead one the fuselage halves are together.

X4kcATi.jpg

The front gunner is lucky to have his thighs as the rear gunner has no legs at all!

wiNMpDu.jpg

Undercarriage is now fixed in the up position in the engine nacelles. Balance weights added to the rudder.

hlnDnbL.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

Just thinking about the crew, here are the details from the Squadron records:

22 April 42.
Training. The following carried out N.F.T.’s.
F/S Mahood in Wellington III X3667 (40).  

Operations. – Attack Against Targets At Cologne.
Ten Wellington aircraft from this unit were detailed to carry out an attack on the above target. Bomb load of 4,000 lbs, 1,000 lbs, 500 lbs, 250 lbs, 30 lb incendiaries and 4lb incendiaries was dropped in the target area but owing to low cloud no results were observed. There were only a few searchlights active and A.A. fire was slight. A.A. Fire was very heavy over the target and searchlights were ineffective owing to haze. Fires were seen to burning near the target. navigation was excellent. Wellington X3667, captained by F/Sgt Mahood failed to return to base.

Wellington III X3667 AA.D                          Up 21:13        Missing. 
F/S Mahood, Thomas Stanley                   Captain           NZ404916
Sgt Wrightson, Cyril Charles                     2nd Pilot         NZ411998
F/S Dromgoole, Sydney Houston             Navigator       NZ402172
Sgt Kelly, Reginald Joseph Stephen         W/Operator    NZ403580
Sgt McMahon, Henry Thomas Owen      F/Gunner        NZ403019
Sgt McLinden, John Frederick                  R/Gunner        611555

Took off from Feltwell and are believed to have been shot down into the sea near the target. Only the body of the rear gunner washed ashore near Le Havre, the others were lost without trace. F/S Thomas Mahood was first posted to 405 squadron, flying two ops as 2nd pilot, before being posted to 75 (NZ) squadron.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

The turrets are on now and the fuselage closed up. The top and bottom seams were dreadful so required filling and sanding. In the mean time, the Dark Green went on.

GgluFIK.jpg

Props blades gained their yellow tips and the props assembled to the engines.

gHQbolq.jpg

Just checking to see if the W/Op and Nav are visible?.....No!

8IOu7W4.jpg

Wings and stabilisers assembled and a coat of Black on the fuselage - the big stand comes in handy for drying. I did the geodetic frames behind the perspex panels along the fuselage in silver - some reference photos show this.

VY5gU8y.jpg

• Like 1

Oops, this is as far as Wellington III X3667 AA.D is going to get by the deadline. All the parts are assembled (except the transparencies) but quite a few paint touch ups to do before the transfers can go on. Enjoyed the GB greatly - loads of first class builds in the Gallery. Well done all.

3ABcswO.jpg

JZwwT4o.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2021 at 07:03, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Mike

Did you ever ģet round to finishing this one.

I'm using it for inspiration in my current Stirling build in the less than a tenner GB.

Cheers Pat 

Pat, thanks and it’s slow progress continuing on XX.D.  I’ve got lots of other small details like nav lights, landing lights, pitot tube and ‘towel rail’ aerial completed - all copied from the new tool kit. I’m going to post pics when it’s ready for transfers. Well done on your Stirling build - I’m keeping tabs on that one. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is AA.D ready for transfers. The framing on the canopy and the turrets is a bit thick but lines on the clear parts  were very faint and hard to follow. Fitting the main canopy required some sanding down of the bottom edge to get a snug fit on the fuselage.

MUOvwhR.jpg

0xJYxu1.jpg

Lots of black but I had to paint the plastic in the end - sorry @JOCKNEY ! (The Old Tool G-George was a one-off then).

b4cMsV9.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

AA.D has it's transfers on now. The fuselage Codes were a bit hard to get off the backing paper and required a long soak. Some silvering too which I couldn't get rid of. Just need to finish off with a coat of matt and put the aerial cable on. Engines run OK!

FFEvOnn.jpg?1

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 5

Wellington III X3667 AA.D of 75 Squadron is finally completed with the under nose venturi and aerial wire added. I also got round to doing a couple of blobs of clearfix in the holes I drilled in the port wing underside to represent landing lights. Time to enjoy this one flying around the room and it clears a bit of space to get on with something else....I learned a lot about the Vickers Wellington and all the other aircraft that have appeared in Aussie and Kiwi service in this GB.

PbSZAPu.jpg

LPObYAX.jpg

5LKG1zd.jpg?2

• Like 2