Slave 1 - 1/72

I'm pretty much on the home straight now, at least as far as the painting goes (still got all the weathering to do). The last major bit of masking/painting was for the green panels along the spine, and the green wing cowls. The first step, after the masking, was to spray the starboard cowl in a mid green using Gunze 524 Hay darkened with a drop of 523 Grass. This is a step that often gets overlooked on Slave 1 builds. The chipping on the two wing cowls isn't the same on each side. The port side has a few chips here and there showing the original base colour underneath, while the starboard cowl has a mottled chipping effect aross the whole surface showing this medium green tone.

51131433598_21268d370f_b.jpg

With that done, I added the masking fluid for the chips and sprayed the main green colour using Gunze 121 RLM81. This was a fairly even coat, but I didn't worry about the odd bit of patchiness in the finish as I'd be adding more panel variation later. This is a more muted green than I used on my old build, which was done mainly with Tamiya Mitsubishi Green, which is the colour called out in the Finemolds painting guide. The green on the studio model is actually more of an olive drab tone though, so I wanted to keep the shade more subtle on this build to better match that look.

51130544517_3d6364cf8c_b.jpg

The green areas on the studio model are a pretty solid flat finish with no real tonal variation apart from the chipping. The new digital model created for The Mandalorian features a lot more paneling effect on the green sections though, and I wanted to bring some of that look on to this model. That was done with various green tones, some darker, some lighter, some more saturated, some less. I sprayed them quite randomly over different panels using post-it notes to create hard edges between the panels. Other areas were done freehand to soften the effect.

51131221556_b973af77da_b.jpg

With all the masking removed, this is how it's currently looking. The only remaining painting is the cockpit coaming, and a couple of little details that would have been decals on the original but I'll need to paint on this one. Once that's done, we'll be on to the weathering.

51131996274_4eb9fbf4f8_b.jpg

51131433158_8ee6ec2168_b.jpg

51131433348_10ddb41792_h.jpg

Andy:cat:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys,

So, the last bits of painting have been finished, which was mainly the cockpit surround. I've also masked and sprayed the white band on the port fuselage side and the teeny tiny red rectangle on the spine. With the painting done, I gave it all a matt clear coat to seal everything, then started the weathering process with an enamel pin wash in the panel lines. Some of those lines aren't very deep and are a little soft in profile so I had to be careful on clean-up to only remove the excess and not what was in the lines. While I'd got the enamel washes out, I added some subtle staining and tinting to some panels, and a few streaks here and there.

51144641406_826bbc5f96_b.jpg

51145421449_fc91ca9063_b.jpg

It was at this point I realised I'd still not painted the two rear guns, which I'd kept separate up until now. I gave them a base coat of the same pale green grey as the fuselage, then brush painted the barrels in a dark grey. The weathering was done with some dirt and rust coloured enamel washes, and a little graphite powder rubbed on the barrels.

51144863298_e0a099c7b1_b.jpg

The guns were fitted in place and then the canopy was added. I needed this in place before the final weathering happens, as the canopy needs dirtying up along with the fuselage otherwise the glazing will look too clean.

51145421229_05ffc1bcc6_b.jpg

The skirt and engine section have now been glued together, so the lower half of the ship is done. All that remains is to glue the cockpit in place in the fuselage and complete the weathering and I'll be about ready to call this one finished.

51145421119_a9af148686_b.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get the last bits of weathering done, which mainly consisted of a heavily thinned dark grimy brown sprayed around the panel lines, and basically anywhere else that looked like it needed a little more dirt or shading. There's also a little more streaking here and there and some further subtle tinting to some panel although that doesn't show up that well in the photos.

On my old build, I'd originally left the cockpit glazing clean, but it always looked a little too shiny compared to the rest of the ship, so when I re-worked the weathering on that model a couple of years ago, I sprayed a light dirt coat around the edges of the glazing which helped tie it in much better. I've done the same here, and it does help make the model feel more cohesive.

51155969224_e603281c20_b.jpg

51155969044_303631a836_b.jpg

51155968874_afbd576129_b.jpg

51155417453_0ac5f46b97_b.jpg

This is now ready to be sent off to its new owner, but I'll get some finished photos up in RFI first. Thanks to everyone for following along with the build.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Love it Andy !! Finishing touches look great !!

Wonder what's next ??

Such a pity that the Mandalorians Razorcrest got destroyed, just as model producers were getting it complete. Can't help but think what they'll give him as a next ship.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps,

On 10/05/2021 at 17:59, Portaler said:

Such a pity that the Mandalorians Razorcrest got destroyed, just as model producers were getting it complete. Can't help but think what they'll give him as a next ship.

I do wonder if they'll give him another ship of the same type. There's presumably more of them in existence in the Star Wars universe, and it would save them having to create new assets. Just give it a few modifications and a new paint job.

• Like 2

On 13/05/2021 at 06:23, Mindmax said:

I think it would look great if you would paint the much bigger Hasbro version the same way. Best, Mark

Thank Mark, if I ever pick one up I probably will give it a repaint. I've got quite a few Hasbro vehicles (Y, B, A and X Wings, the big MF and various other) that I intend to detail/repaint eventually, if I ever get the time.

• Like 1