Avro 707A weathering and pitot tubes?

mouse808

Hi all

To try and keep me sane while building her big sister, I thought I'd have a go at my first resin kit.

It was packed very well but I think was shaken quite a lot during transit as a number of items were broken when I got it.
I've rebuilt the undercarriage and the front spike with a needle but what are those two spikes at the ends of the wings?

Am I adding more needles? I notice not all the 707's have them?

Also any suggestions as to weathering? I'm guessing as a test plane it would have been kept very clean?

(I love the fact the test pilots were wearing 3 piece suits 😃)

Thanks for any help

Lee

145007-12192-60-pristine.jpg

Every photograph I have seen of the 707s, they were pristine. As research aircraft, the test data would need to be a 'pure' as possible. Airflow disruptions caused by poor finish would be counter productive.

The data probes on the airframes varied by spec. Find as many pictures of your chosen airframe as you can. Yes, steel needles have their place in modelling. Just make sure it's the right place.

• Like 1

I wonder if having test pilots in suits was a purely Avro thing - didn't Roly Falk of Avro almost always fly in a suit and tie?

I think you are right that the aircraft would be kept fairly clean. Maybe  a few oil dribbles here and there would be all.

I presume that the probes are  static and dynamic  ports for airspeed.   Given all the uncertainty about the whole design, where to get minimum position errors would be  a guess - shown by the way the later 707s had such different jet intake position for instance.

WD280 seems to have changed colours a few times too.

The probes on this version seem to hang under the wing

gx8SVn2eWPLaW_OOtgMiaWl_qFiUWm5fx9dE9x-C

I'm guessing, pick a picture and stick with it.

This is where I think I'm going 

115031_800.jpg

Thanks for the help

Lee

As the rest of the kit is so inaccurate worrying about the fitting or positioning of pitot tubes brings to mind the old saying about re-positioning the deckchairs on the Titanic.

John

On 2/20/2021 at 3:22 AM, John R said:

As the rest of the kit is so inaccurate worrying about the fitting or positioning of pitot tubes brings to mind the old saying about re-positioning the deckchairs on the Titanic.

John

What's wrong with it?

Just about everything, except for the wheels, is the wrong size and shape or warped. It probably wouldn't look too bad if you built it straight from the box except for the canopy which, for me, spoils the look of the whole thing. See here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078902-avro-707a-in-black-and-white-and-silver/

John

8 hours ago, John R said:

Just about everything, except for the wheels, is the wrong size and shape or warped. It probably wouldn't look too bad if you built it straight from the box except for the canopy which, for me, spoils the look of the whole thing. See here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078902-avro-707a-in-black-and-white-and-silver/

John

Thanks John (I think!). The kits build quite nicely but need the expected clean up and fettling. As noted above and in my linked thread there are some accuracy issues, the main undercarriage legs being the most obvious to me.

Mike