Bronco Models. "Chih Yuen" 1/144

Faraway

Been fiddling away this week, the parts seem to be getting smaller. The rear section of deck is taking shape, bit of touching up etc. But, I am fast approaching the stage of fitting the decks to the hull, which, as you can see I painted the red area. Will continue with the hull, there is an area above the red that is black with a white area above that. Once the hull is painted, I can glaze the portholes which I drilled out. I'm surprised that the portholes were moulded solid, when Bronco have gone to trouble of moulding rifling in the barrels and even showing the barrel ends on the Gatling guns, which you need a jewellers loop to see.

Then fit the decks..........and then more fiddling.

Jon.

p?i=e1d4c7edae5f17d3d624daa72e6a10ca

p?i=3b6c740a8885f04dafd72aaa2b4a3a3c

p?i=5221faf4282859334525856445c2527b

p?i=5ff90cb4cfaaf5b6e7d636681513f691

p?i=00aa0d390777cf1c464d4e1d45d17a27

p?i=982042bb767854b5910e6b35bc83b25e

• Like 5

A very good afternoon from another sunny day in Somerset.

I'm coming to realise that ship models of this scale are quite complex, compared to 1/32 or 1/48 aircraft that is. Just when I've finished one little sub assembly, seven more comes along. 

Seven lifeboats, including a steam launch. @robgizluyou will be glad to see that the planks have been moulded onto the lifeboat hulls, so I don't need to use your masking tape technique.

I've also painted the black area of the hull, just bit of white to go and I'll be fitting the decks.

Jon.

p?i=1f574fc62710e35991c7b00257cdfd66

• Like 5

@ArnoldAmbrose @beefy66 @Courageous @robgizlu so far the cruiser is coming on, not as fast as I would normally build. But I’ve been out in the sunshine. I have a question for you chaps. I had a funny 5 minutes and bought this....

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2013

and it crossed my mind to buy the crew figures for it and then create a diorama, of the boat at sea. But I’ve no idea how to do this, any advice would be sssooo welcome.

Jon

• Like 1

Well I have built the MTB 74 version of this kit and have a half built one of this very kit great kits both also used the figure set but I set it at a dockside

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001175-dockside-dio-mtb-74/

But I have a couple of other 1/35 kits built at sea so have had a bit practice with these methods using building insulation foam sometimes called King span, silicone sealer and Cotton wool oh and the little type 42 I used cooking foil.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

God how I miss these shows for the Banta and inspiration

spacer.png

Let us know when you make a start and I will try and help out.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 4

Hi Jon - I think Beefy's got this covered.  However, I've got most of the references so shout if you need any specifics come the time.

There are a few 1/35 figures relevant besides the Italeri set

Rob

• Thanks 1

@beefy66 @robgizlu thanks for your help chaps. The  MTB kit arrived this morning. Umm, 😳😳😳😳it’s a bit bigger than I was expecting, think I got me mm/cm/inch mixed up, which is good with regards building, not so good with regards WHERE DO I PUT IT. I might forget the diorama idea, as it’ll make it even bigger. Definitely will get the crew. If you can answer just one question though, what paint for the hull and deck ? Is it possible to get a spray can for the correct colours ? Airbrushing will be a very long job.

Cheers.

Jon

Edited by Faraway

Got a bit sidetracked, by the arrival of the MTB kit.

Anyway, I finished painting the hull and have fitted the decks, so it's now looking like the ship it should be.

Jon

p?i=69d0d744c8f9ef8efdc71307e1892b69

I've taped it to the display stand to try and protect the paint and to stop it rolling around.

p?i=18733687602a7c84b95945ee672c4734

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Faraway said:

do you reckon this will be ok for the hull etc on the MTB ?

Hi Jon that haze grey looks a bit dark to my eye you want to be looking for something along the lines of XF19 Sky Grey but looking at my colour charts it looks like the Tamiya spray can range do not offer this but these are old charts I have

That said looking at the Coastal Craft books I have it might be a near match for the 507B used depending on how accurate you want it to be.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope this helps and apologies' for he thread drift

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, beefy66 said:

That said looking at the Coastal Craft books I have it might be a near match for the 507B used depending on how accurate you want it to be.

Beefy.

Thank you very much for this info, not starting for a while yet. Still lots to do on the ‘Chih Yuen’ which is where I’m bound today.
Jon

• Like 1

Before I post some progress pictures of Chih Yuen, I have a question. How did this lifeboat get launched ?

It's stored inboard of the davits and I can't for the life of me figure out how it was swung out over the water.

Jon

p?i=c41e997fbc38a32c0feb3caa341b1279

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

The davits swivel around turning themselves and the boat outboard so it can be lowered !

I figured that the davits swivel, I just can't see how the lifeboat gets pasted them as they are closer together than the lifeboats length. If you understand what I mean ?

Jon

ahhh i see what ya mean perhaps someone will find a you tube clip on the way they work they work one at a time i.e left then right !

• Like 1

Good morning to you all.

Todays subject is the 3 R's......Railings, Rigging and Ratlines. 😆

I could have used the PE railings that were supplied with the kit, but firstly they were very delicate and secondly, they didn't fit as well as the plastic ones. 

The rigging is a bit simplified, but I think, is a fair representation.

And thank the gods for Bobs Buckles Eyelets, I couldn't have done the rigging without them.https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/index.html

The ratlines are of the supplied PE. And yes, the rear mast ratlines do lean at this angle.

Next, I will be fitting some of the small armament and the life boats, then wizz round with the paint brush to touch up the bits I've missed and she's done.....I think.

Jon

p?i=6b915913a0cd4195155803852e2f8f13

p?i=7eac9d636ab567563bfdda2ad8b62799

p?i=b2783f26e7d65181c373ed06853ef4d0

p?i=7bc7b9d59e8776b67779089328d22f04

p?i=efe183abf22c238fe2b3c5fbac386fd8

p?i=c92b330222dcc0d122abe2f94384bf9b

p?i=62b855a91aa496b90a46d50ea28c9f56

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Norman said:

ahhh i see what ya mean perhaps someone will find a you tube clip on the way they work they work one at a time i.e left then right !

Solved

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent work! :clap2:

This is quite an unusual subject. Interesting to see a mast with ratlines and a spar with foot ropes.

Not sure why there are foot ropes, as there is no sail. 🤔

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Jon - Looking great - lovely clean work - Love the ratlines

Rob

Rob. Thanks, it’s coming on.

Jon

• Thanks 1

The end is in sight.

Lifeboat davits fitted. Once dried the paint will need a bit of touching up and then the lifeboats will be fitted.

Jon

p?i=1c5c0e30e65f5c37d03f03f6efd040d3

p?i=b5aa73851a8aead9c6f9f8acb4ee81fd

• Like 4

Well you have certainly cracked on with this Jon nice to see some different colours going on I like the yellow and white make it stand out.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 10:47, Faraway said:

I figured that the davits swivel, I just can't see how the lifeboat gets pasted them as they are closer together than the lifeboats length

Davits swivel one at a time, not together, that way you pass the boat between them.  So, looked at from the top, both can swivel counter clockwise say 30 degrees, then the right continues to swivel counter clockwise until the left one has to follow turning clockwise and the boat passes diagonally through the gap.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Davits swivel one at a time, not together, that way you pass the boat between them.  So, looked at from the top, both can swivel counter clockwise say 30 degrees, then the right continues to swivel counter clockwise until the left one has to follow turning clockwise and the boat passes diagonally through the gap.

Cheers

Steve

@Steve D if you scroll up, you’ll see a video @Rob G sent. 
Jon