Matchbox Hawker Fury, Yugoslavian Air Force, 1930's

Good evening all,

Today I have for your viewing another of the venerable Matchbox Hawker Fury's, built as the kit provided option of a Royal Yugoslavian Air Force machine. As typical of the kit, it built well. My only additions were some internal framing that is no longer particularly visible, and a fuselage number 81 as seen on a Kora decal sheet. Without an actual photo, it's accuracy is unknown, but I wanted to break up the flat silver finish.

And yes, the Matchbox kit is accurate with these markings. While most Yugoslav Fury's had a different radiator and landing gear, the first 6 were standard machines, the same as those used by the Royal Air Force.

Fury Yugo

Right then. The model: 

Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury

Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury

Overall, this build was a nice distraction from the ongoing Stranraer project, which has hit a bit of a wall until I can source some belts, depth charges, and new Pegasus engines. Next up is finishing a Percival Proctor from FROG, final detail painting on a second FROG DH.60G, and I have an Airfix Bristol Bulldog in the mail, which will be finished with the included Swedish Air Force markings. Wish me luck.

Thanks all,

Stay safe,

Tweener

• Like 18

11 hours ago, Cariado said:

Oh Iike that very much indeed. Well done.👏

Thank the gods we had Matchbox in our lives, huh? We all owe those guys a beer. 

I'd say Roy Huxley in particular earned his pint - I'm amazed every time I buy a matchbox kit!

1 hour ago, swralph said:

Nice one Tweener.😀

Many thanks Ralph! Hopefully more Yugoslav aircraft will follow - I think a Hind will be next, converted from the Airfix Demon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cariado said:

Oh Iike that very much indeed. Well done.👏

Thank the gods we had Matchbox in our lives, huh? We all owe those guys a beer. 

The Fury was such a simple kit of a wonderful looking plane - we miss Matchbox 

On 2/19/2021 at 2:18 PM, keith in the uk said:

I agree with the above comments, those Matchbox kits were pretty  good , The Fury , Gladiator , Siskin ,Fairey Sea Fox , and Stranraer all great kits. 

21 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

What a super build! Such a great looking model, it still stands up well after all these years, and you've much more than done it justice!

Cheers,

Mark

11 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Nice!

Miguel

Thanks you three!

18 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

Pity you used kit's decals because they have wrong light green color instead of light blue. 

That is the most obvious inaccuracy on them beside some subtle ones.

I had considered buying a KORA Decals sheet like I did for a previous DH.60G, but the lack of tail stripe decals put me off from doing so and I chose to settle for close enough. I'm not quite sure how Matchbox got the color so wrong, but I suppose companies today often make similar mistakes too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tweener said:

Thanks you three!

I had considered buying a KORA Decals sheet like I did for a previous DH.60G, but the lack of tail stripe decals put me off from doing so and I chose to settle for close enough. I'm not quite sure how Matchbox got the color so wrong, but I suppose companies today often make similar mistakes too.

Well, I've actually never seen another example of entirely wrong color (not just shade) on national insignia.