39 minutes ago, klr said:

I'm just looking at the original Matchbox instructions now - I built it as a Mk .14 back when it was first issued. I also made an error in my first post about the marks in the kit, which are 11, 12 and 14 (not 12, 13 and 14) - now corrected. But from what I read, the Mk. 13 is basically a tropicalised Mk. 11.

If you are looking for spare parts: I've rummaged through my spares box, and unfortunately I seem to have come up short. I still have the Mk. 11/12 canopy and upper fuselage, but the windscreen is broken, although maybe not irretrievably so. I have the Mk. 11 radome nose radome parts, but only one of the Mk. 11/12 intakes. I seem to recall cannibalising the other sometime ago.

I have a third kit that was built rather poorly (no filler & nothing straight) which is my spares bird. I have five canopies, three framed two blown so I'm good on that end however. The spine being different between the 13/14 because of the canopy change. And if I try to hack off the spine and try to replace it with the correct one. I will only wind up doing more damage than good. Now does the 11 use the small intakes ? Or are all of them the large intakes ? 

27 minutes ago, Wez said:

Me please!

Welcome aboard Wez

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

22 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a third kit that was built rather poorly (no filler & nothing straight) which is my spares bird. I have five canopies, three framed two blown so I'm good on that end however. The spine being different between the 13/14 because of the canopy change. And if I try to hack off the spine and try to replace it with the correct one. I will only wind up doing more damage than good. Now does the 11 use the small intakes ? Or are all of them the large intakes

Welcome aboard Wez

According to Matchbox, the 11 and 12 (and presumably 13) use the smaller, more tapered intakes. Only the 14 uses the large intakes.

• Thanks 1

This is my NF13 at Jet Age - for all it's faults.  Are they the small intakes?

Meteor-Nose.jpg

and a comparable shot of my NF14, taken to prove the nose length point

Meteor-Nose-4.jpg

And models of the two together.

101-8634.jpg

Obviously we're locked out for the time being,  but I'll try to arrange some detail photos before this GB starts.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 23:42, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

12a. Wez

I'm happy to be number 13 Dennis, being typically obtuse in nature, I long ago chose it as my favourite/lucky number.

18 hours ago, klr said:

According to Matchbox, the 11 and 12 (and presumably 13) use the smaller, more tapered intakes. Only the 14 uses the large intakes.

With the later Meteors things get a bit tricky, the NF.11 (and presumably NF.13), would originally have had the smaller intakes, possibly even the NF.12's BUT, and it is a big BUT, the big breathers (as the larger intakes were called), were a modification applicable to the F.8 and subsequent marks, there are plenty of pictures of NF.11 and NF.12 with the big breather intakes.  It really is a case of checking your photos.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, almac said:

Count me in too,Dennis. I’ve got the 1/72 Cyber hobby in the stash.

Cheers Allan 

Welcome aboard Allan

2 hours ago, Wez said:

I'm happy to be number 13 Dennis, being typically obtuse in nature, I long ago chose it as my favourite/lucky number.

Its a personal thing Wez, if you look at all my group build proposal’s none have a 13. Ive had way too many bad things happen to me with that number. First arrest at 13, and I got my divorce on the 13th. So its more of my issue. But I will tack a 13 in there for you. 😉

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

I would like to build a model of every aircraft my dad worked on, the Meteor is one the NF11 228 OCU if his memory serves. If I can get a kit I'll be up for this.

Dave

Welcome aboard  Dave with a very good choice. Special hobby and Sword kits are a much newer and more available tooling, depends on the scale. I will eventually get a couple for myself sooner or later. 

2 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Great idea Dennis,

I have the Tamiya 1/48 F.3 waiting in the stash.

Cheers,

Mark.

Welcome aboard Mark.

1 hour ago, wellzy said:

Thanks for the add ,looking forward to the build

IMG_2809

Very good looking meteor, is that an R.N. color-scheme ? 

I still have five or so Meteors to build.  Add me to the list please.

Edit - In addition to the three I have already built a quick check has revealed a stash holding of an Xtrakit NF, a Revell F.4, a Dragon and an MPM F.3, a Dragon F.1, an MPM T.7 and an Xtrakit T.7 and finally, a Special Hobby Prone Meteor.  I make that eight in need of building!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard Mark.

Very good looking meteor, is that an R.N. color-scheme ? 

Yes one of Three  based at Ford Island  in the 1950s , 1/48th Tamiya  Mk I converted  to a Mk III ,in RN use ,

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard Chris, personal connection maybe ? 

Well, hope you're sitting comfortably as it's a bit of a tale...

In my previous job I gave a fair chunk of publicity to the guys at Yorkshire Air Museum who had just started restoring NF.14 WS788, forging at least one very treasure friendship in the process. Being somewhat intrigued, we came to discussing how many Meteors ended up as range targets etc, and if any were still out there. Some research revealed that one - a former 63 Squadron F.8 VZ568 - could indeed still be in existence at the Sennybridge MoD training area in Wales.

Naturally, being a rather sensitive spot, it wouldn't be wise to go and have a poke round but (very) luckily a connection existed and after some enquiries, the OC sent out a runner who returned saying that there was what looked like a Pucara by the 'East German village' - a complete village built to train troops for Cold War conflict.

Said 'Pucara' was none other than 568, which had been there since roughly 1965. It had had a very very short life with 63, having suffered a heavy landing and promptly dispatched to the SoTT at St Athan where it remained until being sent as a non-destructive marker to Sennybridge. However, it turned out that the Meteor, while fundamentally complete in the basics - i.e. no engines, guns, outer wings or tailplanes - was now in a destructive area and very rapidly began to resemble Swiss cheese.

After some judicious pleading, a dedicated - and clinically insane - working party was sent to retrieve what it could - ending with many things for WS788 including a very large elevator layshaft. This all achieved in a stiff gale and driving rain on an exposed Welsh hillside. Bearing in mind the old girl had been exposed to the elements for decades she was remarkably intact - i.e. the bang seat was still there - with a wealth of useful bits on her. She still wore her black and yellow checks either side of the fin, and her code letter 'C' could still be seen on the tail.

The airframe was later sold and the nose removed for restoration. The people collecting that also found the nose gear, which had snapped off when she had been dragged a while before. A real credit to solid engineering! So, yes, she's a bit special to me... :) I hope I can do her justice with the Xtrakits kit.

Pics from the day by my very good friend Graham... 

Chris

Meteor 1

Meteor 1

Meteor 1

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, English Electric said:

Well, hope you're sitting comfortably as it's a bit of a tale...

In my previous job I gave a fair chunk of publicity to the guys at Yorkshire Air Museum who had just started restoring NF.14 WS788, forging at least one very treasure friendship in the process. Being somewhat intrigued, we came to discussing how many Meteors ended up as range targets etc, and if any were still out there. Some research revealed that one - a former 63 Squadron F.8 VZ568 - could indeed still be in existence at the Sennybridge MoD training area in Wales.

Naturally, being a rather sensitive spot, it wouldn't be wise to go and have a poke round but (very) luckily a connection existed and after some enquiries, the OC sent out a runner who returned saying that there was what looked like a Pucara by the 'East German village' - a complete village built to train troops for Cold War conflict.

Said 'Pucara' was none other than 568, which had been there since roughly 1965. It had had a very very short life with 63, having suffered a heavy landing and promptly dispatched to the SoTT at St Athan where it remained until being sent as a non-destructive marker to Sennybridge. However, it turned out that the Meteor, while fundamentally complete in the basics - i.e. no engines, guns, outer wings or tailplanes - was now in a destructive area and very rapidly began to resemble Swiss cheese.

After some judicious pleading, a dedicated - and clinically insane - working party was sent to retrieve what it could - ending with many things for WS788 including a very large elevator layshaft. This all achieved in a stiff gale and driving rain on an exposed Welsh hillside. Bearing in mind the old girl had been exposed to the elements for decades she was remarkably intact - i.e. the bang seat was still there - with a wealth of useful bits on her. She still wore her black and yellow checks either side of the fin, and her code letter 'C' could still be seen on the tail.

The airframe was later sold and the nose removed for restoration. The people collecting that also found the nose gear, which had snapped off when she had been dragged a while before. A real credit to solid engineering! So, yes, she's a bit special to me... :) I hope I can do her justice with the Xtrakits kit.

Pics from the day by my very good friend Graham... 

Chris

Meteor 1

Meteor 1

Meteor 1

Very good story and well worth it to try and save her. 

35 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Can I join please, probably with an Airfix FR9?  Never taken part in a group build in all the years I've been here!

Of course you can, Ive added you to the list. Are you familiar with how the whole process works ?