I've just looked through The Decal Stash to see what interesting schemes I have for the Meteor F8.   Looks like I'll need to remortgage the house to pay for all the Airfix kits I'll need...  :shrug: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've just looked through The Decal Stash to see what interesting schemes I have for the Meteor F8.   Looks like I'll need to remortgage the house to pay for all the Airfix kits I'll need...  :shrug: 

If you have that many should I invest in plastics or Airfix ? 

• Haha 1

Excuse my ignorance, but when does this start? I am sure there used to be a sort of spreadsheet that had all the GB dates on, but can't find it. Maybe the dates could be added to the title?

I am interested in joining btw. My uncle was in the RAF. He leant to fly initially in Tiger Moths, then the Havard. Once he had passed that, he was put into a Meteor! He said it was scarey, to put it mildly! They apparently had quite a few guys who didn't make it home from training flights.

George

Edited by Geo1966
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but when does this start? I am sure there used to be a sort of spreadsheet that had all the GB dates on, but can't find it. Maybe the dates could be added to the title?

I am interested in joining btw. My uncle was in the RAF. He leant to fly initially in Tiger Moths, then the Havard. Once he had passed that, he was put into a Meteor! He said it was scarey, to put it mildly! They apparently had quite a few guys who didn't make it home from training flights.

George

Hello George We start on the 15th October a little more than 2 months away. Here is a link to the current 2022 calendar. 

Hope this is helpful ? 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

On 24/06/2022 at 12:58, PeterB said:

Couple of years back I built the Xtrakit F8 in 1/72 which was made for Hannants by the Special Hobby/MPM family. Later I noticed that Airfix had re-boxed  and issued it for a short while. This however seems to be a new mould and hopefully will be a bit easier to assemble as the Xtrakit one had a slightly tricky undercarriage and you had to make your own supports for the mudguards. It did however come with alternative canopies, intakes and exhausts for early and late versions whilst the Airfix pre-release pics seem to show only an early version. I will be interested to see how it builds up.

Pete

The very very nice new Airfix kit comes with all the bits for all versions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Julien said:

The very very nice new Airfix kit comes with all the bits for all versions. 

6 hours ago, Julien said:

I think I may be in for this, I have a few Airfix kits, one SH kit and 1 AW kit

JUlien

Welcome aboard sir, Ive added you to the list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

I fear this one maybe more than 25% started tho :D 

Rivets wrong, fuselage shape wrong, panel lines not pre shaded, canopy needs some Klear, and a thumb mark in the glue. Probably unbuildable anyway Julien 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 8/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

True but if you have a 1:1 scale build I think we can definitely make an exception for it. Though do you think you can get it done in 90 days we might need an extension. 

Needs a lot of work on the paint job as well!

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, Geo1966 said:

George

It’s a sad fact that more Meteor pilots died practising asymmetric approaches and overshoots than did in genuine engine failure cases.  One pilot had a miraculous escape (so I’ve read) during a night practice single-engined approach: with one engine at idle he was just short of touchdown when the “good” engine failed catastrophically.  He opened the throttle on the dead engine but the Derwent wasn’t noted for its rapid acceleration from idle and he was last seen by the ATC crew disappearing at very low altitude over the hedge beyond the end of the airfield.  They stood awaiting the inevitable fireball but miraculously the aeroplane reappeared a few seconds later: the airfield was on the top of a hill and there had been just enough slope for the jet to clear the ground while the serviceable engine had wound up enough to allow him to accelerate and climb away to complete a circuit and make a nearly-normal landing.

The “phantom dive” also accounted for more than a few aircrew, a peculiar effect caused by selection of undercarriage down whilst the airbrakes are extended.  The main undercarriage lowers asymmetrically, producing an uncommanded yaw and pitch which at low speed and altitude were often irrecoverable.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Three weeks until we start everyone, time to start getting things together and in order. 

I'm ready. 

BM Meteor WIP1

Ray

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking forward to this one. 

And I am too! Ever since I saw your build Dennis in the ANZAC GB. I am really looking forward to using the Red Roo conversion kit. Shout out to @Ed Russell. It looks great.

BM Meteor WIP2

The conversion kit comes with an 18 page instruction leaflet with a lot of tips. The resin looks very good. Hardest part will be deciding on the scheme. I do like the second from the top WE-902, but, then again, those matt black nosed versions are kind of special, and then there is an asymmetric red/white fuselage scheme for A77-882 (not shown above). Decisions, decisions. I'll provide some better images of the conversion details when I get into my WIP.

Ray 

• Like 4

Still in for this one, though I'm likely to join in the second half as I have a couple of models I have to have done by the end of November and I'm a slow builder. I'll be there though.

• Like 2