Blackbird Barn

I am a bit of a serial scratch cardboard builder.  This started a while back when I built a RAF Phantom kit and was disappointed how it looked sat on a table. It needed a home.  And so the HAS build started to create a versatile diorama.  I was thinking about adding a new building / module / structure to my ever growing collection of 1/48 airfield bits and pieces when two things came together.  One I spotted a couple of buildings at RAF Mildenhall that turned out to be the servicing & storage barns used for the SR-71 deployment there.  Then two, Revell announced that they are releasing a 1/48 new kit in 2021.  So I thought it wouldn’t be a waste to build the Blackbird Barn, or Habu Hut.  So here is one - I think this is from Beale AFB not the Hall, but the design is similar.

SR71-hangars.jpg?quality=70&width=1440

So not really a diorama but a scale shed for displaying my model builds.  Oh, one more thing - I plan to build two halves as they open at both ends.  When placed back to back they will make one full shed.  Until then I have a removable back wall to pose it as a smaller maintenance and servicing shed.  

Anyway, this is how it looks

QPg89vR.jpg

swjkAkL.jpg

Ht3wQ12.jpg

MImBJF8.jpg

XJCwgNw.jpg

NGckV4q.jpg

Hope you like it

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys.  It’s stage one of the build but it works well in its own right.  This is the rest of it.  The part two walls & roof beams are done, just need to decide how to finish it off and build the rear door.  Problem is it’s size.  It’s about the same size as the HAS so I didn’t really want another building the same size.  And when the weather improves I still have the Type C to work on.  That one lives outside in the garage

5PRJNzY.jpg

hSl9VWN.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spitfire 123 said:

That is awesome, I am awe inspired, I wonder how long that will last. Great finish overall, great photography too. 👏👏👏

Riley

Cheers Riley.  Well the HAS I made from card is still about after 5 or so years.  It doesn’t get great treatment & gets knocked about in the garage every winter.  Hopefully this one will last a while & may get a better home in the loft.  Photography is just with my phone, but outdoor light really helps

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spitfire 123 said:

Sorry, I meant my inspiration to try and build one of these myself won't last long! 😂 I am sorry if you took that the wrong way.

Regards,

Riley

I see what you meant now!  To get the inspiration going I get an old bit of corrugated card - IKEA furniture boxes are great - a Stanley knife & some masking tape & knock up a prototype before the enthusiasm wears off.  Then stick a model in it & you start to see the possibilities & how you could build one better.

Barn V.1 took about half an hour

SEbsFtd.jpg

If you had some foam board & simplified the interior and just painted the outside it wouldn’t take much longer.  Hot glue gun at the ready.  

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been back on this project building the other half over on my HAS WIP thread.  It’s coming along now 

vZMzcHA.jpg

ygXJnIU.jpg

With the long term plan to be something like this

OjFytxX.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers @Remus389!  Been posing the two halves now completed & together to finally get that straight through look

rwEwhV6.jpg

Now with an F-16 and some clutter

KP1C51x.jpg

ZUv5c00.jpg

p4JX298.jpg

So it’s come together now, just need the Blackbird to put in it.  Until then it can split in half & provide 2 separate barns

GtVnEfY.jpg

So until the Blackbird build gets underway then that the barn(s) done

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

This looks amazing, takes me back to the Mildenhall Air Fetes, very fond memories indeed! I'm awaiting the new SR-71 from Hannants as and when it arrives. REALLY hoping that it's worth the wait!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an outstanding hut barside. My only question is how are you going to replicate the green startup flame? I mean that is the only thing missing. I wish I had the room for something like this.

Nah, going to leave the start up.  I have no men in space suits to put in the cockpit!  It’s pre flight systems checks.  But a couple of those cooking blow torches and some copper oxide powder…..

You don’t need loads of room - still using the fold in half HAS base and the two part shed.  This is how it looked before the sheds sat on top

tyqEphi.jpg

All folded away in the garage or back in the loft now 

• Like 1