Jump to content

1/48 Avro Lancaster Family from HK Models !


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, One 48 said:


I had one too and sold it on part built, being a very old Tamiya kit the fit and finesse is nothing like their modern kits, was really struggling with it.

I agree, for me the most annoying thing was paying £89 for a kit which imo was worth perhaps £40 at a push.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 6:11 PM, Mancunian airman said:

Just reading what it said on the HK FB page, has anybody seen this on 'Pre--order' from any distributor(s) ????

 

Rails of Sheffield is stocking them for £105 posted on pre-order (the distributor is pocketbond who distributes Bachmann's products hence this appearing at a model railway retailer).

 

No affiliation, just I bought my 1/32 from them, again with a pretty good pre-order discount. 

 

Rails are citing April for delivery.

 

Cheers,

  WV908

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to wait for a build review from a trusted builder before I commit to buying this kit.

 

I truly would like a very nice 1/48 Lancaster, however the cost of the kit will determine what compromises I'll make if there are basic and uncorrectable shape issues. As of this moment I need more information about the shape of the HKM Lancaster canopy.:christmas:

I don't want to spend over $100 for a kit only to find that I have to shell out another $75 in aftermarket corrections. :doh:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The canopy is fine - the issue is how the cad views have been supplied. They are very clearly not to perspective view, thus distorting our view of the images. 

 

Cheers,

  WV908

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really coming around to getting one of these. When I got back into the hobby a few years ago it was with the allure of building a Lanc, so a new tool 1/48 is very tempting. 

 

I've seen their 1/48 b17 though, so I'm on the fence until I've seen how it goes together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

CADs are reliable because they are the tool from which the whole thing is made.

 

  As far the overall look goes, the new HK is not the worst four engine bomber in 1/48th scale (The Monogram B-24 surely holds the cake in that regard, with its squashed canopy and the backward sloping and too square spine), but the 1/48 HK is different from the 1/32 HK, which was better in the canopy at least. The Tamiya canopy, or a vacuform AM, may be all that is needed to fix it.

 

 

The squat canopy is even more evident from this second CAD image, which is at a more closely matching angle. Looking at the dihedral, wheels and hubs, the CAD is clearly not significantly distorted.

spacer.png

 

  spacer.pngspacer.png

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will withhold judgment until there's some plastic, but I agree that the CAD images do show a bit of a squashed looking canopy, and HK Models do have some issues with shape accuracy in various previous model kits of theirs. But we won't know for sure until we see the molded parts assembled.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is a CAD drawing set in stone? one CAD drawing and its final? Surely not, Its not the mold, is it, have even heard of mold's being adjusted or changed before a final release, its far to early to say IMHO.

I'd never have noticed the canopy thing, but I'm famous for not being fussy :)

I gather the 1/32 HK canopy is of correct proportions, have never heard anything bad about it at least, do have the HK 1/32 nose art kit and its next on the bench actually, so when this HK 1/48 Lanc comes out it should be fairly easy to measure both with callipers and see if its wrong scale adjusted.

I'm still buying one whatever 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks spot on. :D

The detailing with the rivets etc looks superb and I WILL be making purchases. :clap:

Nice to see the actual plastic parts, nice to see a number of options within the clear parts; the two nose blisters and the H2S blister even though neither of the two aircraft didnt have one . The cockpit canopy is a vast improvement on the Tamiya example and to me it doesnt look out of proportion :whistle:

I am also pleased to see that its not a direct copy from their 32nd kit, this is seen in the engines , two piece wing (s), One piece fusage half, landing lights and with the bomb load  etc . . .

Like others have said, having the plastic in the hands will determine the true accuaracy of the kit but as I looked over the Polish review, I was grinning with delight :party:

 

I'm also pleased that we have  atlast a new tool Lancaster in 48th, its been a long time coming and for that I am truely grateful :clap: Thank you HK.

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great, the IP looks better than the stock 1/32 Nose art kit I have.

Hope they do a 617 Dambuster too, I'll have one of each.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Looks great, the IP looks better than the stock 1/32 Nose art kit I have.

Hope they do a 617 Dambuster too, I'll have one of each.

I'd be interested to know if the Tamiya 48th Dambuster parts would fit, now that would be a BONUS  . .  .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I'd be interested to know if the Tamiya 48th Dambuster parts would fit, now that would be a BONUS  . .  .

 

Only one way to find out!  Bound to be some Tamiya kits going cheap on Ebay soon :)

Since HK did a 1/32 Dambuster Lanc and they have done 2 B-17s in 1/48 already ... I feel sure they will make a dedicated Dambuster in 1/48 before long :penguin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Finally some sprue shots! Thanks for posting this Simon. I really want one now.

 

Cheers,

Brad

It's real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

 

It looks amazing. I'm going to have to get two. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was chatting to another modeller this week and I made the comment that in the 2020's we all get very stressed about issues with kits.  I recall my uncle making the first Airfix 1/72 Lancaster for me as I watched on and I thought it was THE last word in models.  Just have a look at one for a laugh.  But I thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world after my Mum and my rough collie.  Back then we didnt have the resources to check and see faults that we can today.

 

I do remember the fanfare and gasps that the arrival of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster created back in the day.  Hailed as a wonder kit as I recall.  A "must have".  The last word in model Lancasters.  I bet that in twenty tears time the fabled 1/32 WNW Lanc would have had its "Meh" moments too had it ever seen the light of day.

 

I guess that we expect more and at certain price points are entitled to expect more.  Having said that what would the perfect model cost?  Most buyers will be happy with the product that's offered and while dedicated modellers will want more accuracy and rectification of errors they spot they can look to aftermarket or apply some of the "modelling skills required" to it.  

 

Mind you even today there are some howlers when some companies manage to make their model look like an egg plane at times.

 

The price seems decent for a modern kit of that subject and size.  Anyone want my Tamiya one?

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks superb - the weird triangular corrugations at the back of the bombs are odd! However the surface detail looks lovely and can’t wait to see some built up 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice looking kit, but I'm glad the above link was posted as it's shown this boxing will only have needle blade props, not paddle. 

 

I'll sit this one out and wait for the Mk.III.

 

Cheers,

  WV908

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Very nice looking kit, but I'm glad the above link was posted as it's shown this boxing will only have needle blade props, not paddle. 

 

I'll sit this one out and wait for the Mk.III.

 

Cheers,

  WV908

I think I have a Tamiya kit that carries paddle-bladed props so I think I'll be ok on that score  . . .

 

Mk. III's also carried pointy props . . .  you just have to be sure of the aircraft you want to model by obtaining decent photos of it to confirm either way  . . .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

You just have to be sure of the aircraft you want to model by obtaining decent photos of it to confirm either way  . . .

 

Oh photos are no trouble, just have to decide which of the four UK based Lancs I want to model - Probably PA474 in Phantom markings :)

 

Cheers,

 WV908 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JohnT said:

I was chatting to another modeller this week and I made the comment that in the 2020's we all get very stressed about issues with kits.  I recall my uncle making the first Airfix 1/72 Lancaster for me as I watched on and I thought it was THE last word in models.  Just have a look at one for a laugh.  But I thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world after my Mum and my rough collie.  Back then we didnt have the resources to check and see faults that we can today.

 

I do remember the fanfare and gasps that the arrival of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster created back in the day.  Hailed as a wonder kit as I recall.  A "must have".  The last word in model Lancasters.  I bet that in twenty tears time the fabled 1/32 WNW Lanc would have had its "Meh" moments too had it ever seen the light of day.

 

I guess that we expect more and at certain price points are entitled to expect more.  Having said that what would the perfect model cost?  Most buyers will be happy with the product that's offered and while dedicated modellers will want more accuracy and rectification of errors they spot they can look to aftermarket or apply some of the "modelling skills required" to it.  

 

Mind you even today there are some howlers when some companies manage to make their model look like an egg plane at times.

 

The price seems decent for a modern kit of that subject and size.  Anyone want my Tamiya one?

 

  It is not true good models will look bad over time: A good model is a good model, period, and Monogram’s 46 years old B-17G still makes the newer 1:32 or 1:48 HK B-17 kits look ridiculous with their plethora of errors, not to mention their fictional asymmetric wing airfoil when Monogram got that unique feature exactly right in 1975. Airfoil symmetry being one of the most unique of all B-17 technical feature... Sure the raised lines date the kit, but even those can be engraved. All kits post 1990 do not have that problem, and many since 2010 are so perfect they will never look dated. I only need to mention Eduard’s Spitfire Mk IXs...

 

  It is clear the HK 1:48 Lancaster is a much better kit than their dreadful B-17, and a great advance over the old Tamiya kit. Unfortunately it turns out even the 1:32 HK Lancaster also has a slightly squat canopy, so there is no doubt this problem is what we are getting, to one extent or another... Fortunately, simply pilfering the old Tamiya kit of its canopy might do the trick, as the rest of the HK Lancaster obviously shows a great advance in fine details, particularly the selectively raised skin detail and the interior parts. Unlike their B-17, this kit is a significant step forward.

Edited by WrathofAtlantis
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WV908 said:

Very nice looking kit, but I'm glad the above link was posted as it's shown this boxing will only have needle blade props, not paddle. 

 

I'll sit this one out and wait for the Mk.III.

 

Cheers,

  WV908

 

Is that the only difference between a Mk.I & III ? I'm sure it wont be long before Quickboost do a set? And I think the Tamiya props should fit OK too. Mind you, as mine will be Mickey The Moocher it'll be OK anyway.

I also think the fact that the wings look detachable (with what looks like a decent fit) should make it a big seller for some.

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WrathofAtlantis said:

 

 Unfortunately it turns out even the 1:32 HK Lancaster also has a slightly squat canopy, so there is no doubt this problem is what we are getting, to one extent or another... Fortunately, simply pilfering the old Tamiya kit of its canopy might do the trick, as the rest of the HK Lancaster obviously shows a great advance in fine details, particularly the selectively raised skin detail and the interior parts. Unlike their B-17, this kit is a significant step forward.

 Sad to report that the Tamiya canopy kit is not a good example, the front (windscreen ) centre leans back to far  . . . :undecided:

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, keithjs said:

 

Is that the only difference between a Mk.I & III ? I'm sure it wont be long before Quickboost do a set? And I think the Tamiya props should fit OK too. Mind you, as mine will be Mickey The Moocher it'll be OK anyway.

 

 

Ostensibly there were no differences between a Mk.I and a Mk.III, save that the former had Rolls-Royce engines and the latter had Packard engines. Early production Mk.IIIs looked identical to Mk.Is, but as production continued there were minor changes, including the larger bomb-aimer's glazing, different tail gunner's turret, paddle-bladed props and Lincoln-style tailfins. Of course, some of these were fitted to some Mk.Is so it is never straightforward. As always, research the aircraft you wish to build.

 

I would like to build one of the last MR.3s, which had paddle blades and Lincoln tails. Though the H2S blister is included and the flare chute is easily scratchbuilt it is not possible from this boxing, but I suspect you are right that the aftermarket boys will be quick off the mark with any number of extras for this kit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...