1/48 Avro Lancaster Family from HK Models !

AlCZ

9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Have the wings been moulded without the engine nacelles? A Lanc Mk.II would be nice.

I was just looking on this thread to see if anyone had asked this question and if not ask it myself

• Like 1

Dedicated Dead Design masks - ref. NM48020 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I

Source: http://www.deaddesignmodels.com/kategorie/high-precision-pre-cut-masks-cz/1-48-masky-na-kabiny-nm/lancaster-b-mk-i/

26142857-1100-1100-true.jpg

26142863-1100-1100-true.jpg

And also - ref. NM48021 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I National Insignias masks

http://www.deaddesignmodels.com/kategorie/high-precision-pre-cut-masks-cz/1-48-masky-na-kabiny-nm/lancaster-b-mk-i-national-insignias/

26142840-1100-1100-true.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

On 5/8/2021 at 8:24 AM, 593jones said:

Quantity in stock: 0.  Sooo glad I've got mine.  (Cheaper, too!)  :evil_laugh:

When I read this last night the link told me 9 in stock. Now it sats 2.

1 hour ago, IT_Man said:

Apparently Hannants only got 20% of their initial allocation - Apparently the next batch is due in a few weeks. Lots of retailers will miss out as a result!

Covid related shipping container shortages presumably again...

:(

Model kits should get priority over everything.. :D

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, woody37 said:

I think this is the 3rd time I've been mid build of a Bomber Command old kit when someone announces a new one! 

I'm going to pretend to work on another FM 1/48 Halifax, lets see if that works 😂

Why not, at least the FM kit is the only injection Halibag in 1/48th.

Unless some manufacturer has got cmsomething up their sleeves🤫🤫🤫🤣

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 2:47 PM, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Why not, at least the FM kit is the only injection Halibag in 1/48th.

Unless some manufacturer has got cmsomething up their sleeves🤫🤫🤫🤣

Oh, how that would be great news, lets not give up. Certainly not got the desire to build another so it really will be a pretend situation 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Huh i have mine, but i surprised and in quarterscale it is a huge model how compact Lancaster was... it's long and sleak... it is my impression or fuselage of Wimpy was taller ? 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, woody37 said:

I think this is the 3rd time I've been mid build of a Bomber Command old kit when someone announces a new one! 

I'm going to pretend to work on another FM 1/48 Halifax, lets see if that works 😂

I keep thinking about trying that with a kit for which I'm desperate to see a new tool. Just to see if it will work.

Guess I'll be starting on my Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer this weekend then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, AlCZ said:

Huh i have mine, but i surprised and in quarterscale it is a huge model how compact Lancaster was... it's long and sleak... it is my impression or fuselage of Wimpy was taller ? 

I think Stirlings were taller than Lancasters, shorter wingspan too, but its undercarriage made it look tall, not as sexy as a Lancaster, but it was still a formidable bomber and its a very much overlooked Aircraft in any scale, cant bring myself to build the old Airfix 1/72 one i did as  kid.

The Stirlings undercarriage was one of its weak points as I recall?

Would still love to see a good Stirling in 1/48 please HK Models and a Halifax too ... and while your at it .. Hampden as well please when you can manage :) we are doing OK for Wellingtons IMHO in 1/48.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, One 48 said:

Would still love to see a good Stirling in 1/48 please HK Models and a Halifax too ... and while your at it .. Hampden as well please when you can manage :) we are doing OK for Wellingtons IMHO in 1/48.

I'll second that, but I somehow doubt it will happen in my lifetime  :(

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Get yourself a cuppa and marvel at this blokes work whilst you drink it. 

The build

https://www.kfs-miniatures.com/1-48-avro-lancaster-b-mk-i-hk-models-budowa-cz-1/

Painting and weathering.

https://www.kfs-miniatures.com/1-48-avro-lancaster-b-mk-i-hk-models-budowa-cz-2/

Amazing work by a very talented modeller.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just resurrecting this thread to ask people have got the kit - is there anything wrong with your canopy? Mine had a slight fracture running down where the pilot would look out of, not a huge one but a bit irritating given its prominent position. I asked for a replacement, which arrived today.... and behold the exact same fracture in the exact same place. So I'm wondering if this is a manufacturing issue and they're all the same, or if I should ask for yet another replacement.

1 hour ago, LooseSeal said:

Just resurrecting this thread to ask people have got the kit - is there anything wrong with your canopy? Mine had a slight fracture running down where the pilot would look out of, not a huge one but a bit irritating given its prominent position. I asked for a replacement, which arrived today.... and behold the exact same fracture in the exact same place. So I'm wondering if this is a manufacturing issue and they're all the same, or if I should ask for yet another replacement.

I had a look at mine just now and on that basis would say don't bother looking for another!

I'm pretty sure that on my example at least it's not a crack, to me it looks more like some sort of 'flow mark' in the plastic. To be honest, if you hadn't mentioned it I don't think that I'd ever even have noticed it - it can only be seen at certain angles (again, on my example anyway) and even then only if you're really looking for it.

I just checked mine, and yes there is a very very slight line that runs vertically along the top and front of the pilot's front portion. I needed to use my optivisor to see it.

Edited by Brad-M
two "the's"

Speaking of the canopy, it was pointed out from the CAD images at the start of this thread that it might be incorrect in height or something. Is this still a talking point now people have the plastic in hand?

Dave 

19 hours ago, hopkp said:

I had a look at mine just now and on that basis would say don't bother looking for another!

I'm pretty sure that on my example at least it's not a crack, to me it looks more like some sort of 'flow mark' in the plastic. To be honest, if you hadn't mentioned it I don't think that I'd ever even have noticed it - it can only be seen at certain angles (again, on my example anyway) and even then only if you're really looking for it.

It's called a cold shunt IIRC, caused by plastic of differing temperatures meeting during injection, and was a widely reported problem with Airfix a few years back, and much discussed here (which is the only reason I know what to call it). It used to be very prevelent, and you can't disguise it because the flaw is inside the part. And you can have more than one in any given part. Might be poor mould design of the sort that test shots are supposed to eliminate, but could be due to the nature and/or starting temperature of the molten plastic, i.e.  a process  fauly caused by the moulding company, and let through by ignorance or time pressure on the part of whoever does quality assurance.  Degree of noticeability varies from 'I can only see it because someone told me to look' to perfect imitations of severe cracks that can't be ignored.

BTW, by very prevelent I mean not just that I read about it a lot here, but I had 90% of parts affected over 10 purchases, mostly kits like the new mould Lancaster, Wellington and He 111. Seemed to tail off after that.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Left out the key word 'Airfix'.
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, David W said:

Speaking of the canopy, it was pointed out from the CAD images at the start of this thread that it might be incorrect in height or something. Is this still a talking point now people have the plastic in hand?

Dave 

I honestly couldn't say, as I'm not any kind of an expert when it comes to the Lancaster (I only bought the kit because I want to do one of the RCAF post-war SAR aircraft as I like the colour scheme). All I can really say is that the canopy looks fine to me when compared to photographs in any of the reference material I've got - however, that reference material isn't extensive as I'm not much interested in RAF WWII heavy bombers and it doesn't include 1/48 plans. Don't know if that helps any or not!

Edited by hopkp

6 hours ago, hopkp said:

I honestly couldn't say, as I'm not any kind of an expert when it comes to the Lancaster (I only bought the kit because I want to do one of the RCAF post-war SAR aircraft as I like the colour scheme). All I can really say is that the canopy looks fine to me when compared to photographs in any of the reference material I've got - however, that reference material isn't extensive as I'm not much interested in RAF WWII heavy bombers and it doesn't include 1/48 plans. Don't know if that helps any or not!

I agree, I’m no expert either and probably wouldn’t have paid it any attention if I hadn’t read this thread. I think if you stare at anything long enough it can eventually look slightly off! 😆 Regardless I think it’s a beautiful kit. 

• 4 weeks later...