1/48 Avro Lancaster Family from HK Models !

AlCZ

Hi 

Well looks like I will buy one, but I won't be selling my tamiya ones, will most likely do them as a MKII and  convert the other to a Manchester one day 

Cheers 

Jerry 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

For me...

1) It's a new-tool 1/48 Lancaster

2) It's a new-tool 1/48 Lancaster

3) It's a new-tool 1/48 Lancaster

My eye's, hands and mind might not allow for a Grand Slam or Upkeep if and by the time they are released but if they can get the above kit into my hands in the next few months I'll be happy to build one with a loadout of circus clowns.

Absolutely correct. Have a gold star 🌟

10 hours ago, JohnT said:

I wonder if a conversion set for either the Lincoln or Manchester will ever be done. The Tamiya Lancaster has been around for long enough and apart from the historical Paragon sets long OOP and in the case of the Manchester especially unobtainable in practical terms. No one has rushed to fill the gap in the market there so why might that change for a new 1/48 Lancaster in town?  Not that I wouldn’t be pushing up front of the queue to get one mind. More just a thought as to why those sets might appear now?

9 hours ago, KevinK said:

Thinking laterally, maybe any Manchester/Lincoln/York conversion should be for the Tamiya kit: there must be thousands of them which will suddenly become available at low prices and would be an overall lower cost option, perhaps meaning that more conversions would be sold?

A good thought but remember that this is an old kit designed before Tamiya started dividing parts to enable easy conversions to other types/marks, there is also the issue of the shallow bomb bay that many embarking on a project like those would see as a bridge too far. Personally I see the Manchester as being more likely given that WW2 sells. If HKM get this right then who knows what will appear. I hope for a B.II personally but we shall see.

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Absolutely correct. Have a gold star 🌟

A good thought but remember that this is an old kit designed before Tamiya started dividing parts to enable easy conversions to other types/marks, there is also the issue of the shallow bomb bay that many embarking on a project like those would see as a bridge too far. Personally I see the Manchester as being more likely given that WW2 sells. If HKM get this right then who knows what will appear. I hope for a B.II personally but we shall see.

I have already deepened the bomb bay on the Tamiya but that build has been in a box pending but now I think it will be transferred to the maintenance site until the MK II powerplants become available. (where is Neil from Paragon designs when you need him )

• Like 1

17 hours ago, woody37 said:

They made some corrections downscaling the B-17 (area around windscreen) so hopefully. 

I see from the CAD views that they have included the correct type of flight-engineers dickie seat rather than the later post-war one so on that note I am optimistic they will have corrected the pilots platform  . . .

PS The Tamiya H2S housing cover will be used from the spares box  . . . for my particular aircraft I have in mind

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I have already deepened the bomb bay on the Tamiya but that build has been in a box pending but now I think it will be transferred to the maintenance site until the MK II powerplants become available. (where is Neil from Paragon designs when you need him )

Seems someone is selling copies of said conversion, only thing to look out for is the bomb bay doors they are 3mm short in length. Did get another set of doors from somewhere else and they were the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-48-scale-avro-lancaster-MKII-conversion-kit-Limited-edition-/233742434781

Graham

On 18/02/2021 at 12:03, AlCZ said:

At Last ! Thank you a scale modeling gods or elves  !!!!

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10761488

And price is - simple - nice 🐵

From the CAD images, which look here undistorted, and are usually reliable anyway (especially at such a late stage), it seems the canopy is quite squat compared to reality. It does not look like the canopy of their own 1/32 kit... Is it that hard to downscale your own data?

The company’s odd comment about the similar (to 1/32) exterior detail, but with revised to only “good enough” interior detail (in their own words) does indicate the concept of the kit was completely revamped, rather than simply shrunk down.

I fear we should not count on the two HK kits sharing an identical outline, as the canopy looks very different in how tall it is, especially at the front. An obvious issue is the tallness of the windscreen panels and the lack of "forehead" above those, visible in the center frame curvature.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by WrathofAtlantis
Images
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Just reading what it said on the HK FB page, has anybody seen this on 'Pre--order' from any distributor(s) ????

PM models have it other than that I've not seen anywhere yet either. Eagerky awaiting the big H putting it up

1 hour ago, Spooky56 said:

Yes. MJR have it up for pre-order but with min. 50% deposit (I think, might be higher)

This is interesting as we don't yet have a RRP do we?.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Veteranus model kits are offering pre order for £105 including postage in the UK.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/Veteranusmodelkits/permalink/2892910344311056/

Thats a better price than £119 quoted on this forum and if you want to purchase TWO then thats a saving of £28 . . .

On 2/21/2021 at 9:04 PM, WrathofAtlantis said:

From the CAD images, which look here undistorted, and are usually reliable anyway (especially at such a late stage), it seems the canopy is quite squat compared to reality. It does not look like the canopy of their own 1/32 kit... Is it that hard to downscale your own data?

The company’s odd comment about the similar (to 1/32) exterior detail, but with revised to only “good enough” interior detail (in their own words) does indicate the concept of the kit was completely revamped, rather than simply shrunk down.

I fear we should not count on the two HK kits sharing an identical outline, as the canopy looks very different in how tall it is, especially at the front. An obvious issue is the tallness of the windscreen panels and the lack of "forehead" above those, visible in the center frame curvature.

spacer.pngspacer.png

And the 2 little 'Aerials' in front of the Canopy are too far apart on the CAD when compared to the real one, Defo wont be buying this one now.

• Haha 1

On 22/02/2021 at 22:15, Mancunian airman said:

Are HKM hyping this as the pre-order states SUMMER of 2021,  not available MARCH  as mentioned on the HK Facebook page :hmmm:

March will be when it is available in HK. It seems like UK lag right now is ca. 3-4 months, so "Summer" is about right.

In any case, I've ordered mine with John at Models2U - and as I'm fairly local, will be collecting 😀 (though its freepost anyway) 

On 22/02/2021 at 22:15, Mancunian airman said:

Are HKM hyping this as the pre-order states SUMMER of 2021,  not available MARCH  as mentioned on the HK Facebook page :hmmm:

March will be when it is available in HK. It seems like UK lag right now is ca. 3-4 months, so "Summer" is about right.

In any case, I've ordered mine with John at Models2U - and as I'm fairly local, will be collecting 😀 (though its freepost anyway) 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 1:04 PM, WrathofAtlantis said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Looks fine to me.

On 2/21/2021 at 9:04 PM, WrathofAtlantis said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

It looks like the eyebrow windows need to be rotated up 90 deg anti-clockwise and then turned front to back. That would move the front vertical pillar forward and match better. The nose as a whole seems to curve down too much resulting in a strange nose turret. I always get a little wary when pre-orders are pushed hard, assuming the CAD drawings are true to the mould I think I'll wait until somebody shows the plastic. 

• Like 1

My Tamiya Lanc has finally crash landed into the wheelie bin, I have messed about with it for about two years but could never get the enthusiasm needed to finish it, but it did teach me to research kits before throwing £££s down the drain.

Bring on the new Lanc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike191 said:

My Tamiya Lanc has finally crash landed into the wheelie bin, I have messed about with it for about two years but could never get the enthusiasm needed to finish it, but it did teach me to research kits before throwing £££s down the drain.

Bring on the new Lanc.

I had one too and sold it on part built, being a very old Tamiya kit the fit and finesse is nothing like their modern kits, was really struggling with it.

• Like 1