1/48 Avro Lancaster Family from HK Models !

AlCZ

Three points:

1) About time - it will be well received by out modelling community.

2) The standard bomber versions really are not my bag, but, should a grand slam       version come along......I’ll be on it like a rash.

3) I’ve been loving H.K ‘s 1/32 Do335 series one of these is on a long term build, so let’s hope they down size these in the future. 

Stay safe 😉

I am so happy . . . 

I shall have to upgrade my 72nd Lancasters to 48th, particularly if the detailing is greatly improve compared to the OLD Tamiya 👏

MY next question cant be answered until the plastic is in the hand but, like the HK B17, I wonder if HK have implemented any improvements to this kit  . . .

Thank You anyway Neil, its been too long in the coming for a replacement for the Tamiya kit of 1977.

Ian

6 hours ago, Homebee said:

Ali "Aerocraft Models" where are you? We'll need a new dedicated 1/48th Avro Lincoln conversion set ! 😉

V.P.

for this I would be in but I think instead of a conversion set HK would just produce it as a "variant" (which is how it started life).  I would be very interested in this!   Another enterprising conversion might also be a York.  My understand is the York was made from Lancaster parts.  It would need a new fuselage so depends on how the kit is designed but I think it could work.

How is main difference between Mk. I and Mk. III ? I think a visual difference ? Mk. III have more bulged nose bubble ? I can build Pistol Packin Mama AR-P (ME326)... I know  a Mk. III have any type of Merlins, but often was Mk. I and Mk. III in one box...  And who know why HK released Mk. III ?

There is no external difference between a Mk.I and a Mk.III.  The latter had Packard Merlins, not any type, and this was the only difference.  There are more differences between examples of either than there were from the label.   Now possibly someone can come up with some minor observable detail, but my comments still stand in principle.

PS PMs did come with a high quality tool box for each engine, which were gratefully received by the long-suffering engine fitters.  I don't know how you'd model that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

How is main difference between Mk. I and Mk. III ? I think a visual difference ? Mk. III have more bulged nose bubble ? I can build Pistol Packin Mama AR-P (ME326)... I know  a Mk. III have any type of Merlins, but often was Mk. I and Mk. III in one box...  And who know why HK released Mk. III ?

That aircraft, ME326,  was actually 'Pistol Packin Pamela'  . .  the decal producer just copied my design of another Lancaster by the same name.

Research is key  . . .  

Only thing different between the two marks is the engines and even then, externally you cant tell.

Items such as the large bomb-aimers blister is a general modification that cpould also apply to both Mk.'s

Ian

Hmm, i can build this aircraft because their call sign is my monogram :o)

And have on nose gorgeous Gunfighter Lady with two big Colts.

And czech weapon producer Česká Zbrojovka this month bought a famous Colt Company.

Pistol Packin Pamela hear most sexy as "Mama". Because - Pamela Anderson, not :o) (Who don´t have their poster over bed isn´t a teenager in mid ´90 :) )

But as say "Swan from Avon" Plans are - Plans only....

I haven´t a decals and i haven´t a kit :D

I have only - Plans....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

I think this is the 3rd time I've been mid build of a Bomber Command old kit when someone announces a new one! 

I'm going to pretend to work on another FM 1/48 Halifax, lets see if that works 😂

You should try the Fonderie Hampden....I you would buy mine then I will wait for the new one😂

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

10 hours ago, amos brierley said:

I’ve been loving H.K ‘s 1/32 Do335 series one of these is on a long term build, so let’s hope they down size these in the future. 

What’s wrong with the Tamiya 1/48 Do 335s? They are really nice kits and I doubt a 1/48th version by HK will be any cheaper.
Now if you’re talking 1/72 then definitely a new kit is needed. I’ve built the Dragon kit and still have nightmares about it.

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

Dare we ask for a Lancastrian conversion?

Only after we get a Manchester and a Lincoln.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, Harold55 said:

for this I would be in but I think instead of a conversion set HK would just produce it as a "variant" (which is how it started life).  I would be very interested in this!   Another enterprising conversion might also be a York.  My understand is the York was made from Lancaster parts.  It would need a new fuselage so depends on how the kit is designed but I think it could work.

In view of woody37's commitment I shall find my York reference stuff and dig out my in-complete Tamiya Lanc and do the same. ;)

On 2/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, woody37 said:

I think this is the 3rd time I've been mid build of a Bomber Command old kit when someone announces a new one! 

I'm going to pretend to work on another FM 1/48 Halifax, lets see if that works 😂

I've most of a Sanger Blenheim built before Airfix did the decent thing, so I know the bitter sweet feeling well. I feel an up-engined What-If? coming on. Don't see many of those FM Halifaxes built, wonder why 🤣

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, amos brierley said:

Three points:

1) About time - it will be well received by out modelling community.

2) The standard bomber versions really are not my bag, but, should a grand slam       version come along......I’ll be on it like a rash.

3) I’ve been loving H.K ‘s 1/32 Do335 series one of these is on a long term build, so let’s hope they down size these in the future. 

Stay safe 😉

For me...

1) It's a new-tool 1/48 Lancaster

2) It's a new-tool 1/48 Lancaster

3) It's a new-tool 1/48 Lancaster

My eye's, hands and mind might not allow for a Grand Slam or Upkeep if and by the time they are released but if they can get the above kit into my hands in the next few months I'll be happy to build one with a loadout of circus clowns.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DonH said:

I wonder if they have corrected the allegedly wrong pilots seat and plinth on which is sits.

This is a great move by HKM and I wish them lots of sales.

They made some corrections downscaling the B-17 (area around windscreen) so hopefully. 

• Like 1

I wonder if a conversion set for either the Lincoln or Manchester will ever be done. The Tamiya Lancaster has been around for long enough and apart from the historical Paragon sets long OOP and in the case of the Manchester especially unobtainable in practical terms. No one has rushed to fill the gap in the market there so why might that change for a new 1/48 Lancaster in town?  Not that I wouldn’t be pushing up front of the queue to get one mind. More just a thought as to why those sets might appear now?

Thinking laterally, maybe any Manchester/Lincoln/York conversion should be for the Tamiya kit: there must be thousands of them which will suddenly become available at low prices and would be an overall lower cost option, perhaps meaning that more conversions would be sold?

Edited by KevinK
  • Like 3