GB Stats

Robert Stuart

Charts
Spreadsheet link
20210327_Africa_Regions.jpg

pubchart?oid=1530417752&format=imagepubchart?oid=636007690&format=image pubchart?oid=972498219&format=image  pubchart?oid=779740955&format=image pubchart?oid=1876057104&format=image pubchart?oid=22612777&format=image pubchart?oid=562096824&format=imagepubchart?oid=18145899&format=image pubchart?oid=1064106933&format=image pubchart?oid=1665643959&format=image  pubchart?oid=929732184&format=image

Numbers in build:
      pubchart?oid=1720013567&format=image

The images above are 'dynamic' but not 'real time'.
They will change as the source spreadsheet changes (link), but ... you will need to refresh your browser to see any changes.

Map, countries in their regions.
Stronger/darker tones show African countries represented in this build.  Lighter tones show countries not yet represented.

20210327_Africa_Regions.jpg

Weighted map, showing the number of builds by country:  0 (light blue), 1 (pale, blue-brown) to 4 (red-brown, Libya and Angola) or 8 (red, South Africa)

20210501_Weighted_Map.png

Note: these maps are static, by may be updated by hand from time to time

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

As an experiment*, we've set up a shared spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZWW_Tg9ceHA1Mc3B6gOrKluUoLvgcuYbYFgUsWPIMXY/edit?usp=sharing

There are three pages on that spreadsheet:
    Builds, which I hope you will help keep up dated.
    Charts, to help visualise theinformation, and which may be added to in time
   And a Data page which contains lists of stuff to look up; countries, scales and so on

Please, if you feel able, help keep the sheets up to date and correct the spellings &c on the Builds page (splleings are not my strong point).  Help out others who may not be as happy to work on spreadsheets.
Also, I don't want to be the only person landed with keeping the sheet up to date - I want some time to build my kits. 

* An experiment will always work; occasionally, it will even give you the answer you want.

You can save individual charts as .png files, then host and post them in much the same way you would a WIP shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Col. pinned this topic

Thanks @Col.
I know some people have been entering or correcting information in the spreadsheet - thank-you to the people who have :)

I, personally, will not take copies of the graphs every day, or even weekly.
If somebody else wants take on that task, please feel free to do so ... weekly is probably good (think that's what TR does for the annual bun fight?)

1 minute ago, fatfingers said:

Blimey thats impressive! 👍 But where's Uganda? 😁

Regards,

Steve

It is in East Africa Steve ... but that isn't what you meant ;)
Refresh your browser and take a look at the first post here, Uganda should appear orange in the first graph.  Post no 2 (sort of) explains what is happening.

• Haha 1

There some areas will be tougher than others to fill, did you see @Tim R-T-C's comment in chat?

Western Sahara will be a tough one to tick off. It is a non-governing state, claimed by the Polisario Front independence movement who have a small land military force that seems to consist of some technicals and a handful of old Soviet armoured vehicles.

Snapshot about 11:00 13 Mar 2021 UTC

The weighted map is beginning to open up now, showing a couple of countries with three builds:

20210313_Africa_Weighted.jpg

The spread of countries involved remains very similar

20210313_Africa_Regions.jpg 20210313_OperatorsByCountry.png20210313_Operators_Region.png 20210313_AreaOf%20Operation.png  20210313_TypeOfUser.png20210313_SubjectOfBuild.png 20210313_KitMakers.png20210313_ElementLandSeaOrAir.png20210313_BuildsByScale.png 20210313_Build_Status.png20210313_BuildByPeriod.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

About three weeks since I updated the snap-shot here.
In that time, the number of models in the gallery has tripled (7 to 21) and we have twelve new builds started ... a kind of transposition: ... 21 complete, 12 new starts.
We also have our first maritime (sea) build; coincidentally, that is also our second pre-20th century build.

With no new countries, the regional map is unchanged:

20210408_Africa_Regions.jpg

But the weighted map of operators has some changes - South Africa, Egypt and Abyssinia (Ethiopia)

20210501_Weighted_Map.png

Other charts:

20210501_Numbers.png  20210501_Builds_by_Type_of_User.png  20210501_Builds_by_Subject.png 20210501_Builds_by_Status.png  20210501_Builds_by_Scale.png  20210501_Builds_by_Period.png 20210501_Builds_by_Operator_Region.png  20210501_Builds_by_Operator_Country.png 20210501_Builds_by_Kit_Maker.png 20210501_Builds_by_Element.png  20210501_Builds_by_Area_of_Operation.png 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 01/03/2021 at 20:10, Robert Stuart said:

There some areas will be tougher than others to fill, did you see @Tim R-T-C's comment in chat?

Couple of dodgy looking geezers in a battered pickup (Ute for those down under) should cover any country you want it to ! 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love this @Robert Stuart, great effort setting it up! One suggestion though if I may - your stats would be more readable as horizontal bar charts, especially the 3D ones. Pies are for dessert (if you're a stats nerd like me, see the link as to why).

Great idea to use Google Docs too, I had a go at compiling stats for last year's Battle of Britain GB myself and probably could have built another kit instead!

Matt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think pies are the perfect graph style for this. We are not doing any sort of data analysis here, we just need a feel for the relative sizes of the parts of the whole. For example, in the Kit Makers graph the important thing is that a quarter of the builds are Airfix or Eduard and the rest are sprinkled over a wide array of makes and it doesn't matter that it's hard to connect builders to exact counts. You couldn't get this in a bar graph unless you make one a mile long in 4 point font, or you group everything with 3 or fewer builds in a single "other" bar, which is far more problematic.

• Like 2