Some old projects at 1/72 scale...

GREEK GRUMMAN WILDCAT

As the clouds of ww2 thickened over Europe and the involvement of Greece in it became apparent, it seemed that it would be difficult to deal with the forces of the axis with the few and outdated PZL-24 aircraft. So it was decided to order from the USA some Grumman Wildcats, which were painted with the Martlets version, wore Greek ιinsignia and reached as far as Gibraltar. But in the meantime war had broken out and the aircraft were seized by the RAF.

The model was made from the airix kit based on a few black and white photos.

2.png

3.png

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010004.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED ...

• Like 30

Despite the publicised example, it seems that the Greek aircraft were painted in US Light Grey overall, and after being diverted to the FAA initially continued in that scheme in British hands.  However, that first example make a nice subject for a model.

Similarly, I'm tempted to have my AZ Martlet I as a French Aeronavale aircraft.

• Like 1

This story reminds me of a similar one I had heard many years ago about the G.91 and the tests that the RHAF had conducted, in order to add it to its fleet, but for some reason was abandoned.

BTW, beautiful work mate!

The Corsair is interesting, so let me give you some feedback.  Please keep in mind that U.S. Navy aircraft, operated from CV's, did not to see this much wear-and-tear, and U.S. paint was of such [high] quality that it did not strip off in big chunks.  Paint shops on carriers were probably busy maintaining the appearance of the aircraft, because exposed metal and salty sea air do not combine well.  Also, the outer wings of the corsair were fabric-skinned, not metal, inboard of the leading edge.  There was a ready supply of replacement aircraft available to the U.S. at this stage in the war (1944), and no need for airmen to fly anything this beaten-up.  It's possible that early-war (1942-ish) land-based US Navy aircraft received heavy wear, particularly in the most desperate days of the Guadalcanal campaign, but you would need to study photos from the period.  

By contrast, Japanese aircraft were painted in low-quality paint at this stage in the war, and it stripped off readily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

By contrast, Japanese aircraft were painted in low-quality paint at this stage in the war, and it stripped off readily.

Like this Aichi Val Airfix

Okay I admit it, I was overdoing it with Corsair

Aichi Val Airfix

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

• Like 8

I was unaware that the Greeks had ordered Martlets / Wildcats.  I like your version along with the Corsair and Val that you have shared with us.  An excellent history lesson too!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Nice work all around.  I didn't know about the Wildcat/Martlets.  If they were new and on delivery, then stoped at Gibraltar, I think they wouldn't have much wear and tear at all.  Wouldn't they have been freshly painted?  Still, your craft and skill is evident.  Bravo!

RHAF PZL P-24 (conversion from Heller PZL 11c).

At the beginning of the 1980s, in poor modelling Greece, no kit of the basic Greek fighter of ww2 was released.

There were not even specialized modeling magazines, only a few columns in AEROPORIA ATHLITIKI (sports aviation) and PTISI (Flight).

In the first magazine I found a proposal to convert the available Heller kit that spilled the PZL 11c to PZL 24 (If I remember correctly from Ilias Ntaloumis).

Ι did not even know the correct camouflage and I just asked in a model store (there were some in Athens).

For the construction, I used the above kit, with the addition of cowling by an airfix beaufighter, wheel covers made of stucco and plastic clay, scratch built close canopy, radiators and exhaust.

Brush painted with Mo Lac enamel colors . Decals from the Kalfakis model store.

It is one of the two models of my period as law student that have survived and the second older one.

20210302-141556.jpg

20210302-141605.jpg

20210302-141613.jpg

20210302-141622.jpg

20210302-141514.jpg

20210302-141527.jpg

20210302-141541.jpg

20210302-141639.jpg

• Like 1

Airfix Hawker Hurricane MKI the deffender of Maleme, Crete.

Convertion from from the MKIIc kit I had available.

It concerns the last remaining aircraft at the airport of Maleme, Crete, shortly

before the occupation of the island by the Germans.

It managed to take off and escape to Egypt.

20210305-134441.jpg

20210305-134452.jpg

20210305-134511.jpg

20210305-134501.jpg

20210305-134523.jpg

20210305-134431.jpg

20210305-134537.jpg

• Like 1