Making an explosion - without loads of cotton wool…

plingboot

I'm wanting to create a small explosion for a small vignette piece. Probably something like an SPG hit into concrete. So rubble flying out at speed

Does anyone have any technique suggestions or links to a step-by-step for something similar?

I'd like to avoid clouds of cotton wool though…

On another modelling forum a chap used hot-melt glue.

afair as he put down a thin layer of glue in a WWWW shape he embedded very small stones, bits of twig,  et cetera in the melted glue. then went over it again.

I think he did this work on a panel cut from a plastic milk jug. The glue didn't stick to it. He then peeled the WWWW off and rolled it up to make a big V shape, On the hollow bottom of the V he attached a flashing yellow/orange LED. The LED flashes intermittently, not at a constant rate, it flickers. You can get those in LED tea-lights.

• Like 1

If you put 'modelling explosions' into Pinterest' you get images like these.  Do they help?  There are some amazing ones out there, including U-boat, Star Wars vehicles etc....

http://warzone40k.com/explosion-imitation

http://www.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=1381513&page=46

Hutch

Edited by Hutch
extra links added

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to attempt to create the effect I have in mind with a can of expanding builder's foam. Not had a chance to try it yet, but think that with some experimentation I can get it to mimic both plume and blast.

This is the effect I'm hoping to emulate… Just superb.

spacer.png

• 3 months later...

Loft insulation and foam (the kinda fluff you get from inside a cushion or cuddly toy), I tore a small amount out of the loft a while back and threaded some extremely fine wire through it. Attached one end to a small flickering tea light and the other end to a random model wheel (a spare I had) and other wires to bits of brick and twigs (kinda random rubble). I dyed the fluffy stuff in three batches: yellow, orange and black (to simulate the levels of colour) left some the natural off white colour for some at very top. Then threaded the fluff through the wires in the shape of the explosion I wanted. Turn on the tea light and hey presto ....bang!