Phantom FG.1 XV571 elevators

rodenlee

Hi all

I'm planning to build Phantom FG.1 XV571 in 43 Sqn colours circa 1989.  The decal sheet I am using depicts it with the fin tip RWR fitted.  I assume that it would still have slotted elevators (or whatever they're called)??

Thanks for any advice 

Cheers

Shaun

All FG.1s had the slotted tailplane; it was to do with the need to take off from/land on the carrier which is why it was omitted from the FGR.2s. I'm not sure if XV571 had the ILS aerials at that time but would guess it did.

@silverkite211 - that's a discussion I had with GeneK a while ago.

On your side of the pond you use the term stabs, we prefer tailplanes - it's abit like reheat, after burner and thrust augmenter, different names for the same thing.

Anyway - maybe as the backend of the British Phantoms were made in the UK as part of the deal we should stick to the traditional!😀

Hope you are enjoying the snow at the moment!

• Haha 1

If you click on through to here

https://falkeeinsgreatplanes.blogspot.com/2014/04/british-phantoms-f-4-phantom-ii-in-raf.html

The 43 sqd a/c does have the RWR and ILS but the 111 a/c only has the RWR (ILS would have been fitted later)

The picture of the F-4J of 74sqd with the tiger head on the nose is the first time I have seen photo evidence of the scheme - and it's on a Phantom with that original "blue/gray" colours.

Thanks very much everyone!

The thing I really enjoy about this site is people's' willingness to share their knowledge and contribute.  

You guys are great!

Cheers

Shaun