1/35 Jackal 1

magman2

13 hours ago, magman2 said:

The kit only has the original front Roll-bar, not the taller one.but it’s an easy scratch replacement

Not quite sure what you mean here.  The kit seems to make a Jackal 2, which had the gun ring raised level with the roll bars.  That is a key visual identifier between the 1 and 2.  The central compartment was very different too and there were other differences.

The early Jackal 1s had a lower gun ring and roll bars not much above the level of the top of the spare wheel with a prominent taller curved central bar over the front cab.  This was essentially the same as the SF 'MInacity' vehicle from which the Jackal came.  This arrangement was soon changed to raised roll bars with a flatter angled bar over the front cab.

Adding raised roll bars to this kit would be incorrect.  Lowering the gun ring or gun ring + roll bars would not make a Jackal 1.

If Hobbyboss are calling this a Jackal 1 when it is in fact a 2 then I guess that might mean that they've dropped plans to do both.  They promised a Coyote too.

• Like 1

Optimus is the first configuration Jackal 1 with the curved cab roll bar, which got in the way of the gun ring arc.  This is the next version with the flatter angled cab roll bar.  Oddly perhaps, Jackal 2s and Coyotes are also seen with both types of cab roll bar.

spacer.png

Not commonly photographed, but these are the original Special Forces MInacity HMT400 vehicles from which the R-WMIK Jackal was derived.

spacer.png

I know we're not talking Coyote here, but while I've found it this is the little-seen SF version.  The crane and bracket are for offloading 2 motor cycles that can be carried in the rear bed.  Note the open-cab similarity to the Minacity.

spacer.png

Yes it’s a  Supercat HMT 400, 4x4 code name Menacity entering service in 2003-2004 with the UK Special forces.

They  later received, additional armour and other Modifications like the Jackal.

The HMT 600 is the 6x6 version.

The reason we got the Jackal version of the HMT400 platform was exactly because SF already had the Menacity.  You can think of it as Jackal 0.  It was already in service, a known quantity, had been trialled, was supportable and basically met the requirement with some changes like the cab protection.  And was available pretty much off the shelf, although Supacat had to initially outsource some of the work to DML at Devonport which did not work out too well.  There are sub-series within both Jackal 1 and Jackal 2 as improvements and changes were incorporated.  The Menacities I saw at Hereford in 2016 when I was working on SF light mobility were almost indistinguishable from Jackal 1s by that time.

I also had the opportunity to drive a Jackal 2 round the Supacat test track, which was somewhat scary but also very impressive.  When you come to build the kit you may be confused by 3 pedals for an automatic and think that HB have goofed.  It does in fact have 2 brake pedals so that you can left-foot brake.

This kit is outrageously expensive compared to normal Hobbyboss pricing.  Someone is profiteering here IMO!!!  I had expected perhaps £40, maybe £45.  If everyone restrains themselves and doesn't buy it yet then the price will inevitably drop.  As it will over time anyway: most kits have a "new" price premium, with some exceptions.  But then the manufacturers and importers will say "look you clamoured for this and no-one bought it" and go back to yet more WW2 German stuff (noting that HB counterbalanced this release with yet another even more obscure b$£*#y paper panzer!).  However they need to realise that pricing must be realistic.  Lots of money for average kits doesn't work.

I'll be waiting to see what after-market parts appear for it.  I hate vinyl tyres, for a start.  And these wagons are usually seen well-stowed. The seats look far too wooden and flat and the moulded seat belts naff.  Most of the cab floor is anti-slip.  I don't see the personal weapon stowage on the door inside faces.

Live Resin do a very nice GMG and mount, and their GPMG will undoubtedly be better than the HB offerings.  At the moment there is no suitable HMG mount avaiable AFAIK, although much is common to the GMG mount.  They also offer several versions of the SA80 and packs with the lasers, downgrips etc and the L128 Combat Shotgun.  Gecko have just released a small arms pack with SA80s, LMG, Sharpshooter and some stowage items: no idea what these are like.  The C8s are no use for this kit.  Red Zebra have some modern UK stowage items and Black Dog do a fairly comprehensive set.  Accurate Armour and Legend both do the British-pattern plastic water cans.  British metal fuel cans are pretty generic, especially if you can't see the side embossing.  Likewise our small arms ammunition boxes.

I'm sure accurate armour will re-purpose some of their Jackal kit, resin wheels would deffinetly be nice. I was only planning on getting the Jackal 1 and coyote, but i think i will get this as well at some point, and just hope they do the other 2.

The HobbyBoss price is high, but not as high the latest HobbyBoss  1/48 Aircraft £99.

I think it’s another good sep forward for modern 1/35 British forces models.

and no doubt, it will spring a load of after market sets for this kit.

• Like 1

The HobbyBoss kit has the correct 3 pedals for the Jackal, and match the Photos in the Tankograd book.

The stowage racks  for personal weapons on the doors are provided. The kit does provide some really good details and you will  not be disappointed with this kit.

Shop around for the kit, a good price is out there if you look.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The Jackel 2 well Jackel 1 is out now with the spare wheels on the outsides of the rear side doors it's marked as a Jackel 2 but atleast it's been made and it's now available! Box art looks fantastic I've heard afew issue's with the first kit but hey that's what it's all about! Something that just fell together well you don't get that satisfaction like you would, or that just me? Lol