Trumpeter Scharnhorst 1/200 build

Greg Law

Greetings Greg and other Scharny builders. I got mine a couple of months ago now and haven't stopped smiling since. Despite the obvious mistakes such as the anchors, lack of hull detail, single direction props and other bits mentioned above, it's a very decent kit. 

A few corrections are required but most of the issues that I've found are more related to adding missing detail which is no real hassle due to the excellent Anatomy book.

I'm only on at the moment to let you guys know about the detail up set that is on Ebay, you have all probably seen it and have thought about whether or not to take the risk in buying it. 

From CHUANYU item number CY20013, priced at about 60 GBP. BARGAIN!!!!!!!

You get all relevant wooden deck pieces which all fit perfectly, masking sheets to cover all of the horizontal surfaces (steel and wood), blackened anchor chains, rigging wire and gun barrels.

The gun barrels seems to be a good match for 28cm, 15cm and 10.5cm, I haven't brought out the micrometer to check them but I'm happy enough with what I see that I'm going to use them anyway without the rivet counting.

Here's what you get;

9 aluminium 28cm barrels side drilled to accept the supplied aluminium trunnion as a straight swap for the kit items, all that is missing are the shields. No biggie if you are making up blast bags.

8 brass 15cm barrels to accept the kit trunnion as a straight swap again, also missing the curved shields as you would expect.

4 brass barrels for the 15cm singles that require the kit parts to be cut and drilled just forward of the pivot.

14 brass 10.5cm barrels that, again, require the kit items to be cut off and the kit parts drilled out to accept them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the kit barrels as far as I am concerned, but these are just a little bit sharper so I'm using them.

For 60 Quid, money very well spent.

Does anyone know whether the Bismarck etch set for the ships boats is compatible with the boats on Scharnhorst? Asking for a "friend".

Regards,

Jockster

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, further to the above, although the wood deck is a perfect fit all over, there are two mystery panels that I just could not place. Trumpeters deck has been produced with a planked section under the two 10.5cm twins in the middle, either side of the funnel. I can find no reference to this on Scharnhorst throughout her life so it gives me some spare bits for when I tackle aft fire control modifications. I will just have to make the 'spoked' steel deck pattern to match the other four gun mounts.

Hope this helps.

I'm gutted, having read his thread I rechecked the references and now have to reverse a second propeller,  it took me days to do the first one! Great thread though, I never noticed the speaker boxes on cäsar turret!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The French modeler Paul has finished the build and it is most excellent.I have gone a different direction using many aftermarket parts as opposed to scratch building.The most obvious flaw that Trumpter did was to the observation deck in front of the SS it's the sister ship design.I did not catch it in time like Paul did he almost missed it himself beware it's fixable with thought.:wink: