Trumpeter Scharnhorst 1/200 build

Greg Law

Well Scharnhorst arrived this morning.  Talk about a quick delivery. Less than a day form Australia.  Thankyou BNA. 

This is a dream come true for me. I never expected to see a 1/200 Scharnhorst kit. I still haven't opened the box, but I will do so shortly.

The box is 1.2m long. 

Now Trumpeter how about a 1/200 German Destroyer to go with it. 🙂

I'm waiting on the Anatomy of the ship Scharnhorst to arrive before I decide on the paint scheme. 

I made Scharnhorst for CFS3 many years ago so this will complete my journey.

I'm expecting a two year build. 

Sharnhorst image1

• Like 13

Box opened. Photos will be done on the weekend. 

So far known issues are.

1: Starboard winch chain is on the wrong side of the winch. It should be on the same side as the port one. This means the Starboard chain run ( sorry don't know all the correct names for some parts) is the wrong shape. The Hull and forward deck looks like it is closer to Gneisenau"s.

Maybe we will see it in the future. 

2: the bow is the wrong shape by the deck. It curves upwards instead of being straight. 

3: The propeller shafts housings are too short.

4: There will be some hull porthole corrections to do.

5: The worst porthole mistake is on the front of the forward superstructure. The are completely wrong. However there is only three so not a big deal.

Positives so far.

1: Good moulding 

2: Has all the PE railings including the main deck ones. In fact it has an awful lot of Pe. 

As I only have had a quick look I will be editing this post over the weekend to add further observations to the lists.

• Like 2

Gidday Greg, The Scharnhorst would be my favorite German warship, Prinz Eugen coming a close second. As the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I think this ship to be the most beautiful warship ever built. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Box opened. Photos will be done on the weekend. 

So far known issues are.

1: Starboard winch chain is on the wrong side of the winch. It should be on the same side as the port one. This means the Starboard chain run ( sorry don't know all the correct names for some parts) is the wrong shape. The Hull and forward deck looks like it is closer to Gneisenau"s.

Maybe we will see it in the future. 

2: the bow is the wrong shape by the deck. It curves upwards instead of being straight. 

3: The propeller shafts housings are too short.

4: There will be some hull porthole corrections to do.

5: The worst porthole mistake is on the front of the forward superstructure. The are completely wrong. However there is only three so not a big deal.

Positives so far.

1: Good moulding 

2: Has all the PE railings including the main deck ones. In fact it has an awful lot of Pe. 

As I only have had a quick look I will be editing this post over the weekend to add further observations to the lists.

The anchor chain on the wrong side of the windlass is the same mistake done by Dragons German Destroyer kits.

Surprisingly the Trumpeter destroyer kits have it done right! Sometimes  you can really wonder what mistakes manufacturers make!

Glad to see you’ve finally got your hands on this dream kit Greg and knowing how much you paid for it, I’m not surprised it got to you in such a hurry.

I know this kit means a lot to you so enjoy every minute of it. 
Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

I'm managed to find some time to do a few images.

This first one shows the forward Superstructure.

The portholes in the front of the main part are completely wrong. They are not like that at all.

Once I get my book I will show you how they should be.

The other part in the photo shows the forward deck and anchor area.

You will see that the starboard anchor chain runner is the wrong way round. 

It should be the same as the port one. 

Sharnhorst image2

This second image is just to show the detail parts and some of the PE.

Sharnhorst image3

I will see if I can add some more images tomorrow.

• Like 4

Pascal, what book is that from? Pity there is no photo showing that forward side of the superstructure. It is always hidden by the turret.  Great link for the photos.  Thanks.

The other issue is the length of the propeller shaft keels. I have seen one photo where they do appear to be longer that the model, but it is a damage shot and is not very clear.

Interesting.  I have the Gneisenau version of that book. It shows the same porthole positions as the Anatomy of ships Scharnhorst book. Maybe the Anatomy book has them wrong. The two ships were not identical.  

Here is a photo of the propeller keels on the hull. One thing to note is they do have a part on the end that will make them appear longer. However they don't fair into the hull which could be an issue that needs looking at. 

Sharnhorst image4

Pascal

I think that is the paint scheme I will do my ship in. I don't like the complicated schemes.

I just looked at the manual and compared your images to it. All the deck parts in that area are almost identical. 

Hi All,

Got my Scharnhorst last week and the new book (Anatomy of the ship👍).well pleased so far I’ve been doing bits and pieces on it, sub assembly’s and that. Obviously I’m waiting for a wooden deck set to come out!!!!. Don’t know how long it will be also a set of metal barrels.Again might be a few weeks yet!!!. I’ve also been looking for a set of Tamiya photo-etch bending pliers, the larger ones 😳but no one has them in stock. (Well not in the UK 🇬🇧). So moving along slowly at the mo!!!. Brian...

• Like 1

I'll be watching this with interest. I got the Anatomy Of the Ship book about a month ago, and wow, was I impressed. So impressed, in fact , I immediately bought the Bismarck book !

I notice looking through the Kagero book that they've made the same mistake with the anchor chain layout, and I  think some of their colour schemes might be a bit suspect.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:52 PM, Greg Law said:

I'm wondering if it is worth the cost of replacing kit Aaron guns and searchlights with Veteran models parts. Anyone had experience with them?

I used their AA guns and searchlights on my Nagato, they were super high quality. Expensive, but a big step up from the Flyhawk add-on parts I also had.

There are some pictures here, there might be close-ups in the work in progress thread if you want to see how detailed they are. I would definitely recommend them.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...