RAAF Bristol Bulldogs tailwheel?

DennisTheBear

Morning/afternnon/eveing all!

I've just ordered an Airfix 1/72 Bristol Bulldog and intend to build it as an RAAF machine from the late 1930s but have a couple of questions about this aircraft in Australian service.

First question regards the use of a tailwheel in place of a tailskid. I remember seeing a photograph of an RAAF Bulldog with a tailwheel, but can't remember if the caption mentioned it as an experiment or as standard. Could someone enlighten me on this or show that age plays tricks with memory?

Second question is in regard to the roundel colours. I remember a discussion on BM about the blue in RAAF roundels being different from that used in the RAF. Was this the wartime roundel colour or prewar as well?

TIA!

DennisTheBear

Dennis,

The normal fit on RAAF Bulldogs was a tail skid.

Other fittings, such as landing flare holders, antenna etc will depend on the time period and the aircraft you are modelling.

Blues used by the RAAF for roundels, from mid 1920s to 1945.

K3/54. 'Identification Colour Blue Glossy'. This was to a British Engineering Standards Association specification, B.E.S.A. 2.D.103. Its shade was similar to BS381C, No. 166, French Blue. This is probably what was on the Bulldog.

K3/171. 'Blue Identification Colour Gloss'. This was introduced in the late 1930s and was to the RAAF K5 Specification. Similar to BS381C, No. 110 Roundel Blue.

K3/197. 'Dull Blue Identification Colour'. This was introduced circa 1940/41 to the RAAF K5 Specification. It is the well known blue used on RAAF WWIII camouflaged aircraft.

Hope the above is of some help.

Peter M

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! Memory obviously failed me on this. I'll check the adf website now.

As for the roundel I think I can get away with using the kit decals for that  and I have a set of A numbers of varying sizes.

Once again thank you!

DennisTheBear

Might have been but until I see the photo again I won't know.

After looking at the photos on the ADF Serials website a PLAN has formed in the back of my mind. Since I alresdy have a couple of Hawker Demons, an Avro Anson, several DH Gypsy Moths and Tiger Moths I envisage either pre-war aerial pageant or a RAAF base flightline, 1930s style.

It will take time however and will need some research.

DennisTheBear

• 2 months later...

Here's an interesting link from Aussie Modeller International. It includes a build of the Silver Wings 1/32 back in 2019. The photo shows the tail skid and the photo appears to show a lighter blue on the roundels.     http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15310

17 minutes ago, bertielissie said:

Here's an interesting link from Aussie Modeller International. It includes a build of the Silver Wings 1/32 back in 2019. The photo shows the tail skid and the photo appears to show a lighter blue on the roundels.     http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15310

I believe the appearance of a lighter blue is down to early film being more sensitive to blue light.

7 hours ago, bertielissie said:

That photo was taken using orthochromatic film which renders blue as a light tone on the print and red as a dark tone. As rossm stated - ortho film was very sensitive to blue.

Peter M

• Like 1

Thanks for that guys! Alas I have a big house move coming up soonish and won't be able to start any new builds until July/August, but the more I can find out the better it will be when I do start.

DennisTheBear