USS Parche SSN-683 (Late) from Mikro-Mir

Just delivered - courtesy of Hannants and Royal Mail - Mikro-Mir's latest 1/350 scale submarine USS Parche SSN-683 - Late Version.

Box art - note the divers lockout chamber on the aft casing - disguised as a DSRV..........

spacer.png

The instruction sheet is a flimsy A4 page folded in half ........... the first page gives a brief potted history of the boat and a painting guide (!)...

spacer.png

The reverse is the construction diagram.......

spacer.png

The hull is split horizontally.....

spacer.png

The only other sprue provides the upper and lower decking, sail, control surfaces etc.... note that it DOES NOT include the DSRV !!!

spacer.png

The package is finished off with a small decal sheet for the depth markings and escape hatches - plus a small etched brass part for the propeller and towed-array sonar.

spacer.png

This is another nice kit from the prolific Ukrainian enterprise of Mikro-Mir - but they are being a bit naughty not including the DSRV - as it is already provided in their (Early) version kit....

spacer.png

Note the DSRV at top left.

As I have already scratched a model of this version :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_submarines_USA.html#USS_Parche_SSN-683_

it will be interesting to compare mine with MM's kit - they probably had more info to hand -

I couldn't find much about the 'Hush-Hush' undersides at the time -

but I have just found this cutaway drawing... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/70/a6/fa70a6ef6d59cc1e12d33ca39229e447.jpg

All my 1/350 scale subs are here :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_submarines_link_page.html

Stay Safe...

Ken

• Like 2

As with most Mikro-Mir sub kits, the parts have large sprue gates and need a lot of 'fettling' (scraping and sanding) to make good mating surfaces.....

The ventral structure for the divers saturation chamber is made up from two sides and a floor (or 'roof' - depending on your point of view).....

spacer.png

There are no positive location pips - so I added strips of L-section plastic to form a ledge on which the 'floor' can sit.....

spacer.png

This made locating the sides much easier....

spacer.png

..... although there are still seams to fill.....

spacer.png

Similarly, the top and bottom hull halves needed a lot of work to scrape away flash from the mating surfaces -

I have added strips of thin plastic card to make a better join........

spacer.png

More later.....

Ken

• Like 2

A little progress......

Taping the lower pannier to the hull........

spacer.png

...reveals a large mis-fit at the front and rear......

spacer.png

I sanded the mating surfaces to a bevelled-edge - which made the fit better... and finished off with filler.

spacer.png

The Conning Tower/Bridge/Sail is made up from two sides and a top section...

spacer.png

Guess what? - the cutout in the top decking doesn't match the contours of the sail - so more fettling and filler...

spacer.png

Finally - all the major parts are fitted and she's ready for a coat of primer....

spacer.png

I'm hoping that the overall black finish will hide a lot of my botching......

More later...

Ken

• Like 4