Another Stringbag

Marklo

Great stuff. I’m watching your progress with interest Mark as I’m at the early stages of building the 1:48 SMER swordfish floatplane. It’s an old very basic kit so I’m having to decide how much I want to embellish it. Certainly I’ll improve the cockpit which has no real detailing to speak of.  I haven’t got round to putting up a WIP on my progress to date. Must get that sorted in the next few days. Cheers. Phil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThreeGreens said:

I’m at the early stages of building the 1:48 SMER swordfish floatplane

Goid luck on that one. I’ve built a few Smers and they weren’t that bad.

There’s quite a bit of detail in the Airfix kit. You’ll have quite a bit to do even to match it and unlike a lot of open cockpit types everything’s very visible even when fully assembled

• Like 1

resized_69fe82a7-89bd-4bc3-ac10-d1926faeWorking on the wings. All the struts attached to the upper wing and the rigging lines in. I’ve drilled the lower wings for the stores and drilled and I’ve carved grooves for the rigging lines, based on the clearances of the upper wing and the slight seam line I have on it. If I were doing this again I think I’d start with the lower wing.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

resized_3c64f187-3881-4979-b9bc-bebe9ce8Wing sections complete as is the rigging and dry fitted to the rest of the build. Almost ready for primer.  

The little bits of masking tape are a desperate attempt to close the hairline gap between the wing pieces, some PPP will probably be needed. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

Just caught up with this one Mark - quick progress! Looking good :) 

I have one in the stash so thanks for the heads up on the problems.

• Thanks 1

Now I have a question for everyone. I’m building with wings folded and doing the silver prewar scheme from the kit.

There are a number of bombs to be fitted but my question is this. In practice would the wings have been folded with ordinance attached ?

You can just make out the bombs on this Swordfish:

50992952533_9d21e5418d_b.jpg

It's not easy to find a photo of a Swordfish, with folded wings, with a load of bombs on the racks.

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chris.

resized_c13d270f-f6c3-4e6c-b19b-993c177b

Bombs assembled and painted. First time I’ve ever airbrushed a bomb.

resized_ac0bdd6b-f19d-4a99-a9c5-dfb1c26cYellow on flat yellow with a drop of orange.

resized_d39d09c0-b56d-4472-9849-5931f53eGrey on.will let it all set before masking off for the silver.

• Like 6

86a96b8e-0b68-4d0b-a38b-347a48481594.jpeA little progress. Spit the obvious gotya, yes the G5K decal is one piece but is supposed to go either side of the interplane struts and of course I had already soaked the decals before realising this. Still fixed with a sharp scalpel and a few expletives.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

resized_4655fef4-f895-435c-9875-3ce29c25Running out of things to stick on.

resized_17552d9b-e67e-488d-963f-4ab5d9ef

Wings attached. I found that awfully tricky and particularly fiddly to get the restraining hooks on.

resized_cf7904e6-7f10-4095-813b-3c95b147

Judt the prop, the little bombs a few brackets and an rf  wire and I think it’s done.

And of course the carpet monster has claimed the spinner, darn…..

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5