Another Stringbag

Marklo

resized_9b3941bb-f87e-4d19-bbbc-0b0bc003  

resized_70d4fd7a-d449-4a46-ad61-4e23c8cbNotwithstanding some kits earmarked for GBs this is the last of the 1/72 aircraft on the stash, it’s also a fairly complex build and I have to admit although I’ve tried to build one in the past I don’t ever remember completing one. So for that reason I’m starting a new thread instead of adding it to my stash clearance one.

An interesting  fact I always thought the nickname was an allusion to the amount of rigging wires on the Swordfish however it isn’t. It’s a reference to the versatility of the plane that it was as useful as a stringbag.

Still to decide on a colour scheme but it definitely won’t be the one that torpedoed the Bismarck :) might even stick with the kit scheme as everyone seems to do wartime camo builds.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

Hi Mark,

Quite fancy one of these, so I'll follow along too, if I may?

I did build one of Airfix's previous offerings, but that was as a callow youth some forty-odd years ago; I'm thinking this moulding might be a bit of an improvement!

Kind regards,

Mark (another one!?)

• Like 1

I’ve looked through the sprues and it’s head and shoulders above any Swordfish kit I’ve attempted in the past. it has alignment jigs for the wings and separate parts to build the wings folded or opened. I’m quit looking forward to building it.

The plan is for work proper to start tomorrow once the Gnats done ( it just needs the two blade aerials painted some decals added ten minutes tops)

I’m definitely leaning towards the box art scheme with the wings folded.

• Like 1

Go for it! I finished mine a few weeks ago, OOB but with aftermarket decals, and found it to be an exceptionally well-engineered kit. The torpedo trolley is a nice touch.

The pre-war scheme will look great, but I shied away from the big 'carrier band' decals as I think they're just too big to sit properly over the fuselage surface - a painted band would be much better. I'm sure I'll build another sometime, and the folded wing option is very tempting.

Jon

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jonners said:

a painted band would be much better

I was planning to paint it, with the fin and the cowl there’s enough yellow to be worth breaking out the airbrush ( I was actually considering breaking out the Gloster whittle, but maybe not) I didn’t think there was a decal.  

Planning  to start on the office today.

• Like 1

Yes I’m generally impressed with the detail in modern Airfix kits. I do notice that you have to be very careful removing parts from the sprues and my side cutters and sprue saws get a thorough work out :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

resized_30b5e019-6c01-4c6e-b934-c62939a1Fuselage assembled, but not without a fight. Probably me but I always seem to have a tussle wit modern Airfix kits. I also managed to spill a bottle of thinners on it which melted part of the underside d’oh but thankfully localised and fixable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So sorry to hear it's been a bit of struggle but I've been having similar issues with my builds recently. What a nightmare with the thinners, too. I've done similar things, too, usually with MEK or Plastic Weld. Absolutely maddening.

Good to hear you've overcome it, though.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, great idea for a build but hey, fuzzy pics! You didn't do the Guinness brewery tur this afternoon did you?

I had the not so bad Frog kit in my stash until someone relived me of it. I wanted to compare but now I can't. I'll build an Airifx kit to fill another hole in my FAA collection'

Colin

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

My word you have had a fight there Mark.  Hope you get the area affected by the thinners sorted okay. 

Chris

It's a bit of a bother - I've got one of these on order! Still, looking forward to having a go at it.

Mark (the other one!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

It's a bit of a bother - I've got one of these on order! Still, looking forward to having a go at it.

Mark (the other one!)

Hi Mark (should I call you Mark II)

It  certainly does look a nice kit,  I have one myself and was thinking of doing another biplane as I love rigging .  Was looking at this but will wait and poss do something else instead.

Chris 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. As I’ve said before great fine motor skills terrible gross motor skills means lots of little disasters and everything gets dropped at least once :)

Blurry photos, I use my iPhone and am basically too lazy to retake the photo. Never really a Guinness drinker or beer for that matter. But I don’t live a nice red wine :) 

I think that modern kits are so finely tolerances that paint layers do make a difference I also think I may not have had the interior seated quite right ( the edges of the structure are serrated and are supposed to sit into slots in the interior. If I were doing it again I’d probably file down the tabs on the interior. But not to worry nothing that done clamps and filler can’t fix :) 

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

(should I call you Mark II)

Well since supreme being is a little  unwieldy ( and possibly inaccurate) Mark will do nicely :) 

It is a very nice kit and I think any issues may be self inflicted.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

resized_e6c5d6aa-910e-420b-870e-ca22b03b

Fuselage joints sorted out. Tail planes and Cabane struts on. Had to be very careful separating parts and cleaning them up. Once assembled it’s quite strong but easily broken as components. I’m leaving the rudder off till after painting is completed.

resized_cc3b2393-a516-4d09-987e-892692c9

Undercarriage on.

resized_eadb3afb-aa0a-481d-8eed-c21c889eUpper center section on and some rigging done. Had to modify the Airfix jigs so I could use them with the undercarriage on.

resized_cae5d9f2-c53e-4bfc-9c36-77d3c141Thankfully Airfix have moulded indents where the rigging lines go.

Happy so far but it’s a tricky kit, nicely engineered but many got yas for the novice.

• Like 5

resized_a9f3cf0b-9598-4752-a458-2087d354Jigs off unfortunately they got stuck so the port side underside got a little damaged. Nothing a little filler won’t fix.

resized_996ee4ed-8da5-4744-8279-70f2c8d6Rigging wires in and upper wings assembled. Even though I very carefully positioned them the tolerances are so tight that my .4 mm monofilament caused a slight gap. Still nothing that can’t be fixed with a little filler :) 

Ready for primer soon.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4