A transfuge from the Heller GB: Etendard IV M, Heller 1/72

jean

Hi everyone,

well I did not finish this Etendard IV M in the Heller GB that just ended. Not by a long shot.

So I am carrying on and hopefully can finish it in the next few weeks.

Here is the WIP to date:

Here is the state of the build at this moment:

Etendard IV M Photo 8

The re-scribing is almost over and sometimes next week fuselage halves and wings can be glued together once I have dealt with some work on the exhaust area.

The decals are a bit yellowed and are going to be stuck behind my shed window (when the sun returns, which may take a while!). The crest of the 59S Flotilla is a terribly poor representation and has to be trashed (Shame on you Heller!). I found a possible very nice replacement on an Alize decal sheet. Just need to check the size...

So things are in motion...

Talk to you soon with some progress.

JR

• Like 4

Etendard moving along, that is one step forward and two backward, mostly due to my own clumsiness...

Tidied up areas Heller molded either far too softly, or short shot.

The tip of the rudder and the front of the vertical surface where it meets the fuselage back were rounded when hey should be showing sharp angles. Sorted that out with some CA glue and talcum powder. I am adding a photo that shows the work in progress.

Getting there!

Etendard IV M Photo 9

Cheers

JR

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

well, being being away quite a lot lately and having to share  my modelling time with two Skyhawks needing completion, this Etendard has been lagging.

The re-scribing is finished and I am quite happy with it. Lead weights have been glued in front and behind the cockpit.

I have painted the engine and glued it, adding some wedges for safety. So now the fuselage top can be glued in place and the start of the painting is coming much closer.

For some reason I have removed the wing tip lights... so more work with clear plastic.

Etendard IV M Photo 10

Cheers and keep having fun!

JR

• Like 6

Hi,,

at long last, the top fuselage is glued, along with a few small pieces.

The fit is nowhere near Japanese! More like French after a good lunch and a few bottles of wine...

Etendard IV M Photo 11

But nothing some sand paper cannot sort out.

Thanks for watching.

Have fun with your builds.

JR

• Like 4

Hi,

the sorting out of the top and lower fuselage halves is ongoing and something decent can be achieved with a delicate wet sanding.

I added the intakes and got quite a shock.

To put it plainly, the fit is a complete disaster! See the photo below ... 

Etendard IV M Photo 12

So more putty seems to be required. But I am sure it can be sorted out. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I could only think of one way to deal with this mess.

Create another mess.

Etendard IV M Photo 13

It is still a work in progress, but I am sure the intakes will look reasonable when this tedious work is completed. So far so good, and I am far from finished.

Etendard IV M Photo 14

Thanks for looking.

JR

• Like 3

Ooof.  That's a handful :) 

Some time back, I picked up the 100 yrs Dassault box:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-52320-100-years-dassault-aviation--1019819  

Wonder how those moulds have kept up, from a quick perusal, it didn't look too bad..

Like the rescribing very much, does improve the look. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Ooof.  That's a handful :) 

Some time back, I picked up the 100 yrs Dassault box:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-52320-100-years-dassault-aviation--1019819  

Wonder how those moulds have kept up, from a quick perusal, it didn't look too bad..

Like the rescribing very much, does improve the look. 

Hi,

You have to love Heller kits! At least with them it is still real modelling. But sometimes they throw you a curved ball when you expect it the least, witness the air intakes of the Etendard. After the initial shock, it is actually great fun. Bottom line, this is a fun kit! And yes, call it what you want, but rescribing always makes a kit look much more refined. Although it is a real pain in the ... 

So top marks to Heller for this collection of plastic bits!

I had never heard of the 100 years Dassault box (not surprising considering my neighborhood) but the kits within are all great ones! Not one that should not be there. Tons of fun in the box. I hope you will take care of it one day.

All the best

JR 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

the vagaries of modelling... I am sure it has happened to us all, but it is hard to remain cool and collected when this happens.

The Etendard is almost ready for painting. I am just working on the ejection seat, thanks to great detail photos @basket kindly sent me.

You can't trust anything French! The blasted Etendard decided to go on a maiden flight without any authorization... and landed on the tip of the rudder.

Here is the damage and the planned salvage. Deep breaths are required.

Etendard IV M Photo 15

Only a small delay...

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Hi,

in between trying to move forward with my two Skyhawks, I am determined to finish this Etendard.

So I did some work on the rudder fix tonight and I am not displeased with the result.

Etendard IV M Photo 16

So now it will take a good polishing with abrasive cloth and a bit of rescribing to call this model ready for painting.

I love the French Navy dark blue over white scheme!

Cheers

JR

• Like 5

• 2 years later...
On 2/23/2024 at 1:08 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Hi JR @jean, did you get this finished?

Martin

On 2/23/2024 at 10:47 AM, basket said:

Same question ! 😁

Hi guys,

the answer to your question is a shameful "Not yet!"

I did lose the mojo for a reason already forgotten, but it is getting quite close of the top of the to do list. So that will definitely happen in 2024.

I just need to work harder on my self discipline... Thank you for stopping your insane giggle.

Cheers guys.

JR

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi guys,

the answer to your question is a shameful "Not yet!"

I did lose the mojo for a reason already forgotten, but it is getting quite close of the top of the to do list. So that will definitely happen in 2024.

I just need to work harder on my self discipline... Thank you for stopping your insane giggle.

Cheers guys.

JR

Great, JR. My interest is purely selfish as I have a Heller IVM, a IVP conversion and a decal set. I plan to get a brass pitot as well as a resin MB mk4 seat soon, too. I now know that the kit needs to be scribed - my first challenge! I may start it later this year and, if so, will be looking out for your build. I am wondering if ?I can slip a SMB2 cockpit in as a “generic” replacement. Maybe, or maybe not! ;)

Thanks for your reply! Martin

@RidgeRunner

Hi Martin,

Yes, it is a great little kit, and I must finish it off.

The plastic is good, so the rescribing was much easier than on the Frog kits I am busy building. And I was unable to find a AM pitot, so I will have to play with the kit's one I removed before the build.

Re the cockpit, it is a very narrow affair, painted black in real life, so nothing much will be seen through the canopy.

Buying an AM seat is the easy way. I was lucky to be given access to some great photos by @basket and decided to do some scratch building on the kit's seat.

I am very happy with the result.

All this to say that if a SMB2 cockpit fits inside the fuselage, go for it.

Nobody will notice.

Enjoy.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, basket said:

My pleasure.😉

Thanks Remy. By the way, do you fancy joining my proposed French in Africa GB? If so, click the link below :).

Martin

Hi gents (@jean and @basket), I have located the SH Super Mystere cockpit from my SMB spares as well as an Atar jet pipe. Would the jet pipe be approapriate for the Etendard IVP? I also have a spare fin and tailplane from the SMB2. Was that common to the Etendard? 

Hi @RidgeRunner

as far as I know, only the nose of the plane was changed on the Etendard IVP. The jet engine remained the same.

The photo reco Etendards were in fact IVM airframes transformed into IVP. The airframe numbers were the initial IVM number to which a prefix 1 had been added.

Hence an Etendard IVM numbered 40 would become an Etendard IVP number 140.

Only one squadron (Flotille 16F) flew the IVP and the tip of the underwing fuel tanks were painted in yellow (Kodak yellow as the Marine called the color).

Re the commonality between Etendard and SMB2 of the fin and tail plane, I have absolutely no idea.

These are interesting questions.

Keep having fun.

JR