WW1 Kaiser Class Battleship SMS Friedrich der Grosse

Andreas.R

Hello,

this will be my 2. attempt to build this model. This time i will use a wooden deck (genuine 1:350 deck from ARTWOX), a new challenge!,

I used only a few parts from the ICM Koenig kit. the hull, main decks, gun turrets, boats and casemates. All the rest has been printed by shapeways.

I have to print all the little tiny deck details in 3D and glue them on the wooden deck.

Does anybody have experience with not pre-cutted genuine decks?

I use the hull and the turrets of a Koenig 1:350 ICM Kit, turning the main aft deck upside down, to avoid removing all the molded on deck details.

The 2 superstructures  will be 3D printed.

spacer.png   spacer.png   spacer.png  spacer.png

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
missing pic´s
  • Like 7

The generic wooden deck looks very good, but i think it won`t be easy to attach.

I don´t yet know how to glue the deck details on - and how to cut out the bigger parts like the barbettes.

Hopefully there are two decks! The upper deck will be the challenge!

• Like 2

Before I glued in the turned and adapted deck, I transferred it to the wooden deck as a template (about 2mm narrower). it is important that you have left a little less than 1 mm 

to sand it off after it had been glued on.

On the back (the plastic foil) I used the upper deck as a template to just cut the foil/film. (I still want to use the other part) So I was able to cut out the inner part after gluing it on. This part does not have to be cut so precisely. The wooden deck can be cut and detached after it has been glued on. It can be cut well, but the film is relatively thick-

The white strips are very thin evergreen sheets where the casemates should be glued on.

Andreas

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I made some progress with the upper deck!

Waiting for the 3D printed main and secondary guns, so i can install Casemate guns and fix the deck.

The 3D printed bollards and a few skylights where also glued on the aft deck.

spacer.png    spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png

The aft superstructure is also "virtually" on the bench!

Regards

Andreas

• Like 10

After I have glued the wooden deck on, I would like to tell you about my experiences. I used a wooden deck for the first time.

With such an genuine deck (not pre-cut) you should remove all deck details - it is almost impossible to cut these small pieces out properly!

I 3D printed all that tiny deck details.(bollards, skylights, scuttles etc.)

Since these decks are slightly transparent, the surface should be pre-painted!
After sticking it on, I treated the deck 2 times with thinned FUTURE.

This makes it easier to glue the details on, and it is also possible to remove acrylic paint again.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Andreas

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just have made some progress with the upper deck! It was not as easy as i thought due

to the asymmetrical design of the casemates of the mid artillery.

Here are some pic`s of the test fit, The scratch build is already finished, now only the 3D printed parts 

have to be attached. 

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Andreas

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I have made some progress: the upper deck is now glued on. It was not easy to to adapt the upper deck because of the casemats. they are rounded at the top.

Due to the wooden deck, the construction stages were reversed than I would otherwise. There is still some fine-tuning to be done. I think it worked out quite well.

spacer.png    spacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

thanks for looking!

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
correction
  • Like 10

Gidday to all!

The anchors, chains and capstan wheels have been attached! There are already many small coal hatches glued on, but many are still missing.

All the gun barrels are 3D printed, replacing the out of round, droopy, plastic original parts.

The turrets are held magnetically on the barbettes and can be rotated.

spacer.png       spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and stay safe!

Andreas

• Like 7

Gidday Andreas, I would never have thought of using magnets for locking in the turrets. I use a keyway and slot to lock mine in and yet allow them to rotate. An idea I got from Britmodeller. Those turrets and guns look good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

After a long stay in Italy, I'm back. Shortly before I left, I took advantage of an offer from 3D Jake and ordered a Phrozen Mini 4K. On my return I found the printer and 4 super-printed propellers from Iceman 29. I would like to thank Pascal very much!:yahoo:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 4/20/2021 at 5:56 PM, Andreas.R said:

Hello,

I have made some progress with the bow area!

spacer.png      spacer.png

spacer.png     spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Andreas

• Like 1

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to update this post. After getting stuck with my Phrozen Mini 4K, I printed the parts with Shapeways. I glued and painted the details on the aft deck, skylights, bollards and winches.

The rear and front superstructures are also printed and painted. The funnels must be printed again. I hope that I can do this with my own printer.

The front superstructure:

The aft superstructure:

spacer.png   spacer.png

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
correction
  • Like 12

Hello,

a few more pictures of the front superstructure and turret. The floats are much better than the original parts. The front superstructure consists of several parts. The X-shaped part in front of the funnel will be removed, it prevents the very thin supports from breaking off. All parts are printed with Shapeways.

spacer.png                      spacer.png

spacer.png            spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png the parts of the front superstructure

The painting still needs to be improved in detail, but it doesn't look that bad at all.

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
missing pic´s
  • Like 11

This is looking excellent. I love the 3d printed parts but Shapeways is an expensive route to take. I hope you get your printer sorted soon!

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've made progress on the front superstructure. The so-called admiral's bridge is glued in place and the railings are covered with canvas.

The windows look very good, especially the ones in front below. The life rafts are also 3D printed and look way better than the original parts.

I used 2 different PE railings, the 3 bar railings from the original König detail set are very week and difficult to install. The other came from Seemann and are made of steel,

hard to bent but very stable. The crane needs to be redesigned because the angle of the arm is different from the rear one.

The design of the Kaiser class Battleships is very asymmetrical.

spacer.png       spacer.png  FDG_F02a.jpg

spacer.png           spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Andreas  

Edited by Andreas.R
correction
  • Like 11

Hello Stuart,

my first thought was to use very thin cigarette paper and stick it on with white glue. When I had applied the white adhesive, a very thin skin formed between the railing-bars,

which were already very closely spaced. I then applied a 2nd layer (holes appeared in a few places) The adhesive held up well because the railing was already painted.

When the white glue dried, I painted the whole thing with a slightly different shade of gray (stone grey), looks quite realistic!

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

after a long time i can report some small progress again!

On the aft deck I added a few small details, skylights, the torpedo loading boom and hatches.

All these details have been 3D printed, and are far better detailed than the original parts.

The aft boat loading crane has to be rigged, the aft superstructure is not yet glued on.

I also changed the anchor chain, the first anchor chain had very round links, which I didn't like very much.

The tiny ship bell is also 3D printed.

I hope that construction will now pick up speed again!

spacer.png              spacer.png

spacer.png            spacer.png

spacer.png                           spacer.png

spacer.png                         spacer.png

spacer.png          spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Andreas

• Like 7