African Alpha Jet 1/72

bianfuxia

I'm going to join in with the old Airfix Alpha Jet kit in 1/72.

I think I will do it as a Togolese example. I'm not paying $25 for a decal sheet to put on a kit I got for three bucks on eBay, so it will be a freelance job. For this reason I may go with a Cote d'Ivoire one as the roundels seem easier to handle!

I'll decide as I go along and post up the starting pics soon.

Already some super interesting subjects coming up in this build!

• Like 6

A good choice and one of the options I was thinking of doing for this GB using the Heller kit and a Pavla resin interior.

Looking forward to this one.

• Like 2

Here is the kit:

IMG_20210217_201502512-1-2048x1152.jpg

I like the Togo one mainly because I'm kind of fascinated with the country of Togo (fascination does not amount to knowledge, of course). Next choice is Cote d'Ivoire. Then Morocco, because although the two-tone brown scheme is maybe not the greatest, I can probably mock up the roundels using Japanese ones as a basis. I've done this before with a Hercules I made in Moroccan colours. The Cameroon one has a similar scheme but a harder roundel. A google image search brings up plenty of pics of each one, though none apparently copyright free.

Last of all, thee Nigerian Alpha Jet - seems like an easy back up plan if the Togo or Cote d'Ivoire ones prove too hard. The following image via wikipedia is copyright free:

Nigerian_Air_Force_Dassault-Dornier_Alph

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

Finally off the start line with this little jet. There isn't much to it so I hope to make swift progress, at least until I get to the point of the markings.

So far I've painted the interior parts, done the pilots to about 90 per cent complete, and decided it's going to have a pair of rocket pods under each wing (plus the fuel tanks). I snatched those from my Airfix Hawk of the similar era and the same job lot on ebay (I got the AlphaJet, the Hawk, and the Thunderjet I did for the Christmas Blitzbuild all in the one lot for ten bucks, boom!).

Not much to show yet but more will follow.

IMG_20210422_091740141-2048x1152.jpg

IMG_20210422_091728755-2048x1152.jpg

Sorry for the slightly fuzzy phone pics. 

• Like 2

One choice you make early is going to decide which paint schemes you can chose - the shape of the nose. Togo, Morocco, Ivory Coast, Egypt, and Nigeria have rounded nose Alpha Jets. Cameroon, Egypt, and Nigeria have pointy nose Alpha Jets (using various definitions of pointy).

• Like 1

Yeah I was hoping to do the pointy one because I think it looks cooler and I already have a snub-nosed one sitting on the shelf. But actually I prefer the Togo scheme, I think. 

Still it's a bit confusing - in at least one photo of the Nigerian jets, there seems to be one snubnosed and one pointy. See the fist pic in this article.

Once I get to the point (haha) of doing the nose I will make up my mind I guess.

But it's probably going to be the Togo one or the Cote d'Ivoire - both snubnosed

1 hour ago, bianfuxia said:

Still it's a bit confusing - in at least one photo of the Nigerian jets, there seems to be one snubnosed and one pointy. See the fist pic in this article.

They have some of both. Their initial purchase was of the blunt-nose type, but a few years ago they bought some pointy ex-German ones. Egyptian ones will also have different noses depending on where they were built and what systems they have installed.

Made a little more progress today.

The pilots now have really cool green helmets. They just need their visors painted and they're ready to fly.

IMG_20210429_175454628-2048x1152.jpg

The kit came with no cockpit decals. I took a few dials from the decal from an old Fujimi Mig-21 - it's all I could find in my decal stash. Of course the finished product bears no relationship to an AlphaJet instrument panel except that it also has instruments on it. Some were drawn in with marker because the Fujimi decal was so old. 

I used generic fuselage warning labels on the side panels, figuring they look a little like banks of switches. They'll barely be visible once the pilots are in and the canopy is on. 

I think the AlphaJet didn't have radar, so I guess that green display on the panel is...something else.

• Like 2

These guys are suited up and ready to go:

IMG_20210430_142707202.jpg

Although now that I see the pic I should probably do their seatbelts.

Meanwhile, the cockpit is done. This is not the world's most superdetailed build, remember.

IMG_20210430_142636517.jpg

I put some noseweight in just to be certain.

IMG_20210430_142639735.jpg

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 3

More progress today:

Fuselage together:

IMG_20210503_113835015.jpg

Wings and tail installed:

IMG_20210503_160637913-2048x1152.jpg

It passed its tail-sitting test - easily. 

At this point, I have still not installed the bottom panel on the fuselage. I left it off in case I needed to add more weight, but I am confident it will be fine.

Those missiles are for another build, not for this one!

• Like 2

IMG_20210511_123503941-scaled.jpg?resize

Standing nicely on three legs now. The tape is there to hold the big bottom piece in place while the glue dries. I also had to smear some filler onto the back of the cockpit wall there, because the gap was too big even for my slap-dash build philosophy.

Generally the fit is ok especially for a 1980 kit but it'll need some filler in most places. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've skipped a few steps before photographing this, I see from my older posts.

I've now finished the putty and sanding phase. Next up I guess I will add the nose and the intakes and then get going on the painting.

IMG_20210609_170532401-scaled.jpg?resize

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I can't believe it's so long since I worked on this one. It ground to a halt because I needed to put the intakes on. For some reason that totally threw me.

Anyway today I painted the walls where the intake tunnel would be on a better kit, and then put on the intakes, in about three minutes of work. And I masked it off and painted it blue for good measure.

Still shooting for the Togo version. I have bought some decal paper and will try to print the roundels myself.

IMG_20220203_150200361.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

IMG_20220203_150149552.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

• Like 1