Rooikat

SoftScience

And here we have decals and the first layers of pin wash exaggerated shadows, some light filtering and just a bit of paint chipping.  I tried to keep it subtle and it's almost invisible in the photos.

PXL-20210306-221904017.jpg

Up next, some oil dot shading to simulate dust and grime.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Looking good. I’ve fancied doing this kit since it first came out. I’m going to follow with interest. 

It's a really nice kit to build. I'm not sure if it's accurate (it is a Trumpeter kit, after all), but there are many nice details, the build was really fun, and hassle free.

• Like 2

I've really not to get in the habit of experimenting with weathering on a paint mule.

I'm trying to model buildup of red Kalahari soils behind the wheels (like then mix of grime and soil you get in your own car's wheel wells). I had picked a reddish brown pigment powder that when mixed with fixatives on the past, always dried in a somewhat rusty tone. But noooo! Not this time! For some unknown, and doubtlessly stupid reason, they dried a dark reddish brown. 

Okay. Fine. I added other reddish pigments.

PXL-20210312-014924947.jpg

still too dark, so I misted on some Vallejo rust wash with my airbrush. This was followed up with more mist coats of rust wash mixed with a golden yellow color.

PXL-20210312-014909476.jpg

Better, but now it looked overdone.

A heavy semi-drybrushing of the hull color to tone things down. 

PXL-20210312-024740501.jpg

Better still, but let's just say I'm happy much of this will be hidden behind the large wheels.

Incidentally, the underside looks much darker on the picture than in real life.

• Like 6

Excellent job @SoftScience with the weathering and coming along very nicely.

One thing though... is the gun barrel on upside down? The bulge of the fume extractor seems to be at the bottom as opposed to the top.

Regards,

Steve

I blew it with the pigments.

I experimented with wet application on a paint mule, and they dried into the perfect rusty red sand color. Yet for some dumb reason, when I applied them on the model, suspended in the same thinner as on my mule, they dried freaking bright pink! In my attempt to remove them, I ended up spreading a chalky pink patina all over the model. 

I need to figure out how to clean all that junk off and try again, but I need to recharge my batteries first. 

• Sad 1

• 7 months later...