Rooikat

SoftScience

Hello,

I'm very excited by this GB, and my first entry will be Trumpeter's Rooikat AFV in South African service.

PXL-20210216-234033260.jpg

The vehicles are used for reconnaissance and in the tank destroyer role. They entered service around 1990 and took part in the South African and Botswanan 1998 intervention  in Lesotho. About 250 of these decidedly strange looking vehicles are still active.

The Trumpeter kit looks pretty nice, but these tie downs on the turret could use replacement...or at least some kind of camouflage netting to conceal their solidness. Im not looking forward to drilling 88 little holes and bending 44 tiny cleats, but I guess I have a few days to figure it out before the build starts.

PXL-20210216-235310531.jpg

• Like 11

It's always good to see AFV subjects in a GB and this is a particularly cool on :thumbsup:

You've a few days to experiment with your 44 tie-down cleats and still be well inside the 25% mark if you wish ;) 

• Haha 1

And we're off!

This is one of those kits where most of the construction will be the suspension parts.

Trumpeter's kits had decent detail here, but there are some pesky mold lines; the ones on the suspension springs being particularly tricky. Nevertheless, you can pose the front wheels turned, which is a nice touch. And most of this stuff will be hidden behind the wheels anyhow.

PXL-20210221-014603445.jpg

Three more to go, but I need a break.

PXL_20210221_005536414.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 8

Hell, I like this, the sort of kit that could make me break my "no 1/35 armour" vow, they are so cool. I recall seeing TV coverage of these smashing their way through scrub & small trees & being impressed to blazes. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

Your off to a great start and it looks to be a beast of a kit! Really nice detailing on the suspension units, and as you say the option to have the front axles turned is a nice touch. Have you managed to add all the tie downs to the turret yet??? :whistle:

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

The major hull panels are together. Fit was a bit iffy on the front plate. There is a very gradual curve on the top, which the upper hull part didn't entirely follow. Some flexing and bending got me part of the way there. Tamiya white putty (a dissolved-plastic-like substance) does the rest.

PXL_20210223_032520258.jpg

• Like 4

Tonight the Rooikat was fitted with details on the front and rear hull plates. Nothing too extraordinary up front.

PXL-20210224-031756688.jpg

In back, Trumpeter gives you some cleverly designed tool clasp parts, which I'm really happy with.

PXL-20210224-031806998.jpg

I still haven't added the rear tow-shackles as the pieces they go on needed some filler (not visible in photo) that needs to be sanded down, once dry.

I'm really enjoying this kit, so far.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

There is some lovely detail there.

I'm intrigued, What did they do?

I'm not really sure how to describe it. Its just nicely engineered, with the tools fitting into these u-shaped clamp wells, and then having the outer part of the clamp as thin add-on pieces. I guess its nothing earth shattering, but this is the sort of thing somebody like Tamiya would mold as a little bump on the tool handles rather than as actual parts. IDK, its just nice, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mitchem said:

Excellent progress.

With regards to paint, not sure if you've seen these ?

VHvPF3Fl.jpg

I used them on my build and tI was really impressed with them.

mike

Hi Mike,

I've had my eye on that paint set, but as I don't foresee many SA subjects in my future I was going to save money and space, and mix my own colors. I enjoy the puzzle aspect of paint mixing, and really prefer to use Tamiya or AK Real Color whenever possible. That said, all my attempts at to mix that light yellow beige color have failed. It's like middle stone and khaki, but also neither. Trumpeter's instructions suggest mixing gunze pink and red :D. Mmmmm.....kay.

I'll try a few more things, but I might end up just getting the Hataka set :)

• Like 1

Primed with Vallejo black primer. I like using this paint as an off-black semigloss when brush painting details, but it doesn't get along with my airbrush. The paint dries inside the tip and does it's magical circus trick, wherein it stops spraying for half a second, and is immediately follows by a big wet glob of paint shooting out.

The bottle says it doesn't need to be thinned, but momma didn't raise no fool, so I add Vallejo's thinner to the mix. It doesn't seem to help. 

I usually use Tamiya for my dark undercoats, but I was concerned it wouldn't stick to the large PE grills. No matter, it turned out fine. I'll let it cure for a day, just to be sure.

PXL-20210228-183218024.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, SoftScience said:

...and mix my own colors. I enjoy the puzzle aspect of paint mixing....

Crikey! I hate the painting stage of any build so mixing my own colours would be like getting flogged with a cat o' nine 🤣.

IN the meantime, I'll sit back and enjoy your build. 

• Haha 2