Eduard Fokker Dr.1 Weekend edition colour question

Tony Davis

I've been looking to convert the recommended colours to either Vallejo or Tamiya paints. The recommended Gunze colour red, H3, is listed as a gloss paint.  Am I reading that correctly, would there have been a gloss finish on the aircraft?

Thanks

Tony,

Aircraft with a doped fabric covering (most WW1 planes) would have a satin or semi gloss finish at best. I have built a lot (50+) WW1 kits over the last 20 years- I find that a satin clear coat looks about right. ( I am currently using Vallejo’s satin clear.).   

Which kit/scale are you asking about? There have been multiple  releases of both the 1/72 and 1/48 scale kits in WE boxes, with different aircraft featured.

The current 1/72 WE version features Raben’s red and white plane, while the 1/48 version features either Raben’s plane  again or MvR’s all red plane. ( Not sure which is a later release.)

I built the latest 1/72 Weekend edition recently—  I used Tamiya X-7 red, in part because all the shops around here are sold out of XF-7 flat red.  (It is very close to the H-3 red you asked about.) I found the gloss to be harder to work with- it took longer to cure than the flat I’m used to using.   But in the end, it didn’t matter, as I had to gloss coat the model either way before adding the decals.  (1 coat over the gloss red, vs. 2 for the flat.) After decalling, I used a satin clear coat.  I put a lighter coat of the clear on the cowling, so it has a slightly different texture/sheen than the doped fabric areas.

I primed my model with white stynlrez primer, then used Tamiya XF-2 flat white for the tail.  I masked the top wing for the areas under the markings, and then airbrushed two coats of the red. I then removed the masks, and airbrushed a final coat of red-  that gave me the less intense red under the markings. (I’m quite happy with how it turned out!)

Hope this helps....

-Bill

spacer.png

Edited by RC Boater Bill
Fixed old typos, made new ones
  • Like 4

Thanks Bill, sorry I didn't acknowledge your posts earlier, for some reason I didn't receive any notifications.

Anyway, the models look great, and the info is really useful, thanks