Tamiya T Rex Diorama 1:35

As usual, I started this kit ages ago, in fact, not long after completing my Parasaurolophus diorama last August... I got on and did the base quite quickly and even got on and built Tye reasonably fast. Then, having done a basic paint job, I stopped. Online teaching took up too much time and I was too knackered to do anything but do latch hook cushion and rug making - a fairly mindless hobby which allows chatting and TV watching. 

I finally decided it was time to get the kit finished - and, as I always like to incorporate a younger creature in the scene, I once again took something from the Tamiya Mesozoic animals kit - this time the baby T Rex. I had made him at the same time I built the baby Parasaurolophus. I then finally finished painting Tye, before putting the whole diorama together.

As usual I really enjoyed building it, especially the base, adding scatter and other scenic effects to create atmosphere.

All the paintwork was done with thinned acrylic paints which I put on with brushes.

I hope you enjoy it. Photographs, as ever, courtesy of Mr.PlaStix: 

50949464571_041bffbe18_b.jpg

50949464491_2e35c741f0_b.jpg

50949562072_60233df98a_b.jpg

50949464426_0692e9ac4e_b.jpg

50949464391_7cab363656_b.jpg

50948759288_80bba14c32_b.jpg

50949561932_b08d035f0e_b.jpg

50949561907_2eea7bb6fc_b.jpg

50949464271_1efc78ce04_b.jpg

50948759128_4154bf8aaa_b.jpg

50949561787_e85d90f7d6_b.jpg

50949561752_8f36d2609e_b.jpg

50949464121_8a27eb32b0_b.jpg

50949561662_88a15089ca_b.jpg

50949561577_165b08d66c_b.jpg

50949561622_4b98cf7992_b.jpg

And with a sky background

50949561512_0a0f5fd9c3_b.jpg

50948758813_a898c6230c_b.jpg 

50948758763_b5e0f47206_b.jpg

50948758733_7729a35402_b.jpg

I've now started the final one of the five Tamiya Dino Dioramas - it takes me right back to my first ever Dino build, the Triceratops. This is, of course, a later kit and the finish is less coarse than that on Trixie, but it should be interesting to see how they compare...

• Like 30

Really neat little diorama, and excellent paint work - everything looks so real, especially the eyes.

Takes me back 50 or more years when my parents took me to the Natural History Museum in London, and bought me the Pyro Stegosaurus.. I remember it like it was yesterday!

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Cheers John, Thanks for the kind comments. I do the eyes with anthracite, a tiny white dot and Pledge (new version of Klear) to make it shiny... I made a Stegosaurus last year - 

Good to hear from you Giorgio, hope you're keeping well? 

I think it takes me almost an age to get it completed, I so enjoy doing the base work but I dreaded the final paint job on Trexi  as I always dither about the eventual colour scheme. Stix thinks all dinos should be dark grey... 

• Like 1

Nice to see your work again Mrs.S. You've done a great job on TR.

I know what you mean about the stitching and being able to do it in front of the TV. Mrs. Bullbasket knits baby jackets.....................endlessly! She normally donates them to hospital charities in the UK, but because of Covid, we haven't been back for 15 months. I kid you not when I say that she has something like 100 of them dotted about the house. Stay safe, and say hello to Stix for me.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John! I wish I could knit as it would be great to be able to make useful things like baby jackets. My Mum used to crochet baby blankets and the house used to be full of them. Covid has been a real mess for everyone. Stix sends his regards, stay safe too. 

Pennie

• Like 1

Hi Steve, 

We're both doing okay thanks. Really appreciate your kind comments, I need to look at what everyone is up to, now I'm on half term and have a bit of time to spare...

• Like 1

Hi Mrs P - great to see your completed dioram. I love the completed model and the idea of adding the T-Rex junior form the other educational set. I only saw it as I was asked to add my Brachiosaur diorama to this part of the forum so its a nice surprise to see your completed work. Good choice of jaw option too. The Trees look excellent so top mark all round from me once again

John

• Like 1

Thanks John, means a lot coming from you. I was just looking at your Brachiosaur dio. I'm just starting the Triceratops diorama and am trying to decide how to deal with the waterhole. I don't like the plastic provided and am looking at alternatives. Stix  hasn't  ever made anything using water substitutes  so it'll be something entirely new. 

I hope you're continuing to build? Stay safe, 

Pennie 

Super modelling! Grey for dinosaurs is very old school and still looks right. It reminds me that the Birmingham art gallery and natural history museum used to have a full size T-Rex in one of its galleries, with just the tip of the tail coming out of the doorway. Scary!

In 1/35 your mode must be getting on for a foot long?

I wonder if baby T-Rexes had larger heads in proportion to their bodies than adults. If so, they would have had a serious tipping problem!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, AdrianMF said:

Super modelling! Grey for dinosaurs is very old school and still looks right. It reminds me that the Birmingham art gallery and natural history museum used to have a full size T-Rex in one of its galleries, with just the tip of the tail coming out of the doorway. Scary!

In 1/35 your mode must be getting on for a foot long?

I wonder if baby T-Rexes had larger heads in proportion to their bodies than adults. If so, they would have had a serious tipping problem!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, let's face it no one really knows what colours they were, as there is no firm evidence. Looking at modern day reptiles the range of colours is almost endless... I think I remember the T Rex at Birmingham, we went many years ago with our son, who was into dinosaurs and I think I can remember looking down on it ..

Trexie  is about a foot long - big, but not as large as my Brachiosaur.  

T Rex are an incredibly odd shape and how they were able to exist day-to-day, let alone be a fearsome predator is something of a mystery... 

All the best, stay safe,

Mrs P.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mrs.Plastix,

It is a beautiful vignette, very out of my comfort zone, but it shows that you have a good teacher nearby, because the result you have achieved with only brushes is very good, and the photos of Mr. Stix make it look like it deserves.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Mrs.Plastix,

It is a beautiful vignette, very out of my comfort zone, but it shows that you have a good teacher nearby, because the result you have achieved with only brushes is very good, and the photos of Mr. Stix make it look like it deserves.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Francis,

Many thanks for your kind comments, having seen your work they mean a lot, your weathering, in particular, is spectacular 

Stay safe

29 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

Very nice work! I've tried to build palm trees like that and totally failed, but yours look great. What's the secret??

Will

Cheers Will, I just followed the instructions in the kit - but I added some Woodland Scenics  earth coloured turf on the trunk and made extra fronds to drape downwards....thanks for your kind words, stay safe,

Mrs. P.

• Thanks 1