An African Safari - entered voluntary liquidation

Mjwomack

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Now looking at the box art I would have said the underside was shiny aluminium - must be my failing eyesight!

Pete

Grey is grey! It lends itself to lots of what if liveries, such s lovely shape to the fuselage. 

As for the eyesight, welcome to my world,

🙄🤩

• Haha 1

I remember seeing most of the British Eagle fleet outside their hanger not long after they went bust - can't remember if that was Speke or Ringway. I always thought their livery was rather impressive on a Brit!.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

I hope this works...

PXL-20210402-073509116.jpg 

The cabin windows have been picked out with a Sharpie (other pens might work), the idea is that the cheat line decals clean the edges up and it looks lush. It's an experiment because I discovered Sharpies! my original plan was to pain a light grey band and then overlay the cheat line decal; that had the advantage this it wouldn't matter if the decal didn't line up exactly with the cabin windows (as if that's ever happened). The downside was I don't know how opaque Roden decals are but I had a bad feeling.

Cockpit window will be a decal from something I found in the famous spares collection. Not sure what it was but it's not like it's an A380 or something completely inappropriate.

We'll ignore the fact that I got so carried away trying to match the grey that I've completely misprinted the wing! Truth be told it's impossible to ignore the elephant (grey) in the room but that should be easy, if annoying to correct.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having skirted the large storm clouds, I'm trying to get back on track now...

PXL-20210411-072940694.jpg 

Very dissapointed with the paint in the end. Too many corrections has led to a build up of paint, plus aerosol and bottle Tamiya acrylics are not an exact match

PXL-20210411-072926591.jpg 

It look better from a storm clouds perspective. Time for some decal wrangling and blunder on to final assembly, though I've a bad feeling from the decals- is decal fondling a thing? Something about them doesn't feel good!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, but it's not looking good. The cheat line ripped as soon as I look at it and even then didn't wrap round in front of the cockpit in the slightest. At least the massive tail decal went on, and looks better than I thought it would.

I'll press on a bit more, but given that I opened a bottle of Australian rather than South African wine last night we can tell which way the tide is running.

• Sad 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to An African Safari - entered voluntary liquidation

Nope, it's a fail. The rear section of the cheat line was as non-compliant as the forward and it's too embarrassing to post photos of.

Shame, because it's a shapely aircraft and a fun livery- the font for African Safari is so easy to replicate that I'd have thought they found it in Word, except Word didn't exist back then.

Thanks for stopping by. Maintained my GB performance figures though😒

• Sad 2

Maybe still time for a replacement set from Roden to arrive or a BOAC set from F-Decal assuming their time on African runs qualify . Shame to see this one miss out 

Martin H

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I've picked up a brilliant tip from @theplasticsurgeon in his Savage build over in the Anything but injection GB about really soaking the decals and draining off the water.

I tried it on the rear port cheat-line section last night and it worked a treat. So I might yet get airborne again.

The thing is, who doesn't want a zebra on their tail (or a tiger in their tank for those of us of an age), but the engine nacelles, indeed the whole wing looks atrocious.

But it's about Africa so I might put some pics up later. Though as we all know the camera is even harsher than eyesight

Thanks again for all the support

• Like 2

It all seemed to be getting back on track

PXL-20210417-111000448.jpg 

The much loved zebra on the tail went on with in three pieces after it shredded itself but at least I managed to literally straighten it out. The rear section of the cheat line went on flawlessly. 

And then this happened..

PXL-20210417-111227113.jpg 

I swear I didn't even look at it! I truly have no idea when this even happened because it was fine when I left it in the evening but was all over the placer this morning.

That's it, I quit.

But it was a useful exercise, if only for testing my theory about  handling cabin windows- I think it's got potential.

Also learnt not to trust Broden decals!

• Sad 4

Minicraft aren't any better .

spacer.png

Your Brit looks good apart from the decals . Testers decal bonder helps . Not brimming with confidence for the Roden Airliners I have . Hope to to see your Brit with new decals someday . All the best 

Martin H

• Sad 4

On 4/16/2021 at 9:35 AM, Mjwomack said:

So I might yet get airborne again.

👍

On 4/17/2021 at 7:38 PM, Mjwomack said:

And then this happened..

spoke too soon! Sorry!

Martin

• Thanks 1