RAAF CAC Sabre, Tasman conversion on a Academy F-86F kit, 1/72

I've probably put the mockers on both of my builds by starting another but in the ANZAC spirit, but I couldn't not attempt one from them over there ;) & it just so happened I had this kit & conversion I tentatively started a couple of years or so ago & a lot less tentatively quit it soon after with very liitle done. The fuselage & wings in this photo are just sitting there as well show down the track.

DSCF3170

The decals are some that came from @Paul J, hope I can do them justice. I'm not sure which I'm going to do yet but leaning toward a 79 sqn machine from Udorn in Thailand in 1978 during the Vietnam war. I feel happier about some of the things that stopped me in my tracks initially as regards the intake, air brakes & various other small things. I had a tinker with the cannon ports & one side seemed to go OK, lets hope I can manage like wise with its twin. :)

Steve.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress tonight, having done some thinking about things & making the decision to insert the air brake recesses from the Academy kit into this kit, I began to hack away, there is one side done to a stage where I can see it will work & I'm quietly pleased with it. I also glued some strips onto the inlet ducting so I could extend it to fit the intake. I've just noticed after posting this, I've got the other side air brake recess in this side photo. Oops, that may change.

DSCF3171

Steve.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat, a little, I got the other side of the airbrakes chopped out & the rear cockpit shelf cut away prior to inserting the kit cockpit. But the last couple of weeks haven't been good for modelling. I'm thinking of parking this one for a bit & trying to concentrate on the Strikemaster build, as well as start an Africa build, so this one will only resurface just now if I have a good run. Fingers crossed.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

No Pat, still parked, I'm trying hard to get the Blunty across the line, I got a burst of keeness this last week & am hopeful there.  This one might see a KUTA GB sometime down the track. :)

Steve.