Harrier GR.5 camouflage demarcation

dad's lad

I'm steadily progressing with my conversion of the Airfix GR.9 into a GR.5 with thanks to all of you who have helped so far, but now I'm a bit stuck on the paintjob. I can see where the underside green goes around the front nozzle fairing to meet the wing leading edge because there's plenty of pictures around, probably because that's usually where the squadron badges are painted, but I'm stuck on seeing where the demarcation at the rear goes.

Most pictures and profiles don't show this area because the outriggers are in the way, I've even tried looking at other people's WIP builds to see if I can find anything but no luck.

Anyone able to help please?

Clive.

This photo might help but still hard to see the demarcation due to stains .......

spacer.png

Line drops down vertically with slight backwards angle from trailing edge of flap and then back up vertically just behind leading edge of rear stab.

Also forgot I had this from Eduard GR7 boxing which is confirmed by above photo.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

This photo might help but still hard to see the demarcation due to stains .......

spacer.png

Line drops down vertically with slight backwards angle from trailing edge of flap and then back up vertically just behind leading edge of rear stab.

Also forgot I had this from Eduard GR7 boxing which is confirmed by above photo.

That's brilliant, I can just see the line on the photo. I'm assuming that the stabiliser upsweep meets with the wrap around on the underside which Eduard doesn't appear to show.

Don’t think I can find anything better than Eduard picture above.  Mine was painted from the decal instructions that are somewhere in the garage.  I will see if I can take a picture of the Harrier later.  I always liked the two tone green on the GR.5 and 7

lrGYBeq.jpg

I checked the decal instructions but nothing there & then I found this screen grab of a pdf.  It’s not mine & I don’t know where it came from but it’s very useful.  Think I have lost the pdf now but hope it helps

IboNf8J.jpg

• Like 1

That shot is from the Aeroguide book. I’ve got the book so if that doesn’t provide what you want drop me a line and I’ll photograph it.

9 hours ago, dad's lad said:

Very nice. I'm a huge fan of this scheme too and have even discovered a GR.3 that wore it which will make a nice change.

That was one of the two RAF Germany aircraft which participated in the Matchcoat trials in 1984.  The green paintscheme was worn by XV809 AF of 3 Squadron which is one of the markings options on Xtradecal's sheet 72186; the corresponding grey scheme adorned 4 (AC) Squadron's XZ738 B.  The grey Harrier is one of the options on Xtradecal's sheet 72149 but if you can find an example of Dick Ward's Modeldecal sheet 78 it will give you both sets of squadron markings and one full set of stencils.

Lights blue touch paper of an idea and retires to safe distance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard E said:

That was one of the two RAF Germany aircraft which participated in the Matchcoat trials in 1984.  The green paintscheme was worn by XV809 AF of 3 Squadron which is one of the markings options on Xtradecal's sheet 72186; the corresponding grey scheme adorned 4 (AC) Squadron's XZ738 B.  The grey Harrier is one of the options on Xtradecal's sheet 72149 but if you can find an example of Dick Ward's Modeldecal sheet 78 it will give you both sets of squadron markings and one full set of stencils.

Lights blue touch paper of an idea and retires to safe distance.

Thanks Richard, I've ordered the Modeldecal sheet from Hannants along with another Airfix GR.3, I didn't realise that there was a grey variant of this scheme so it looks like another kit is due. Luckily I already have enough fin correction pieces lined up.

Clive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedy said:

That shot is from the Aeroguide book. I’ve got the book so if that doesn’t provide what you want drop me a line and I’ll photograph it.

Cheers - I hate posting copyright material without being able to credit the author, but the reference pictures I have collected over the years aren’t always organised.