South African Mirage F.1Cz

Corsairfoxfouruncle

29 minutes ago, Jonners said:

I built years ago, in the dark green / tan scheme but it's hidden away in a box somewhere, and I clearly remember seeing the real thing when I was a kid in SA in the early '80s. The F-1CZ in that colour scheme had a series of narrow red diagonal stripes along the upper wing root area that are missed in all of the decal sheets, as far as I know, but are straightforward to replicate using aftermarket red decal stripes.

If you can find this book by the late, great Herman Potgieter:

20180303_113043

...there are some great photos, including a topside view of an F-1CZ at almost precisely 1/48 (thanks, Mr P!) that clearly shows these stripes. Unfortunately I'm several hundred miles from my copy at the moment.

The decal sheet that includes the Harvard and Dakota decals is fine for the castle insignia, but all of the fin flashes are incorrectly printed with red instead of orange. 

Hello Jon .. The Sand/Green camouflage is what I will be doing. I know the Rudder flashes are incorrect thats why Ive ordered the decals from South Africa. If worse cones to worse I will paint them. The cover photo of the book is what I would like to achieve but I only have one set of rocket pods. And those may not be the correct type they came out of a Harrier kit. The kit decal sheet comes with some markings that appear to go on top of the wings ? (Right side small sheet)KWQI7zG.jpg

Though if I need to I can attempt to paint them. I love the camouflage thus why I ordered the F-86 Sabre decals for the same scheme its been a must do for a long time. I will attempt to find a photo showing these red stripe/marks so I have a clearer idea of what is involved. 

Dennis

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The kit decal sheet comes with some markings that appear to go on top of the wings ?

The stripes are in addition to those included on the sheet. I'll be back at home next week, so I'll try to dig out my model and take a photo for you. Unfortunately posting a pic of the photo in the book would infringe copyright, but I'll see what I can do via a PM.

The Potgieter book also includes a useful Sabre 6 top-view photo that was also deliberately printed at 1/48 scale with modellers in mind. It remains my favourite aviation book, if only for nostalgic reasons recalling a formative period in my life.

Jon

• Thanks 1

All great!

Be careful though with the nose, for your decals you need an AZ nose, meaning some prescribed panel lines on top, where there would be a retractable refueling probe and a pitot originating a bit lower than the tip!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

All great!

Be careful though with the nose, for your decals you need an AZ nose, meaning some prescribed panel lines on top, where there would be a retractable refueling probe and a pitot originating a bit lower than the tip!

Thanks Werner, the Xtradecal AZ markings are a fall back in case my CZ decals do not arrive in time. This build will go into Hiatus once paint is done until the decals arrive or there are 3 weeks left in the build. At which time I will make the necessary changes to an AZ and use the decals I already have. 

9 hours ago, Jonners said:

The stripes are in addition to those included on the sheet. I'll be back at home next week, so I'll try to dig out my model and take a photo for you. Unfortunately posting a pic of the photo in the book would infringe copyright, but I'll see what I can do via a PM.

The Potgieter book also includes a useful Sabre 6 top-view photo that was also deliberately printed at 1/48 scale with modellers in mind. It remains my favourite aviation book, if only for nostalgic reasons recalling a formative period in my life.

Jon

Maybe you can answer a simple question Jon ? The early Sand/Green camouflage, was it over silver grey, grey, or wrap around. Ive never been able to find a definitive photo from their early use. Ive only seen the later scheme where the Sand/Green is over grey or its low-viz grey completely. 

Agreed. Olive drab, deep buff and light aircraft grey, from memory. 'Vlamgats' in that scheme had quite a glossy finish - definitely not matt - and the camouflage was hard-edged.

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here you go, Dennis, I hope that this is of some use.

This is my ESCI 1/48 Mirage F1CZ that I built over 20 years ago. I've just taken it out of its box-in-the-shed hibernation, so it's pretty tatty and could do with a clean. Actually, to be frank, it could do with a complete strip and repaint as the paint job (airbrushed Xtracolours) was never that great anyway. All that aside, I remember taking care to apply the red stripe decals as accurately as I could:

20210309_141602

The camouflage pattern was the same on the starboard fuselage , fin and upper surfaces of both the AZ and CZ variants, but differed on the left side. Mine is as close as I could get for the F1CZ.

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone... Bit of a delayed post as this was done last night(Wednesday). I was able to mount up the canopy on my builds tonight. pHmqLqW.jpg

454IlGM.jpg

usnpT9f.jpgI was able to mask up the canopy tonight so we’re into paint tomorrow. For this it will be the Lt.Admiralty grey undersides first. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Morning everyone ... the light admiralty grey is on. It may not be a perfect match but is as close as I can find in my paint rack. K6g6CI4.jpg
Will clear this tomorrow so I can mask the demarcation between the upper/lower camouflage. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Good morning everyone... I was able to mask and spray the Buff on this today. It looks a tad dark but that may change when I add the dark green. n4yF1O5.jpg
As a comparison the S.E.A. Tan on my A-4K. ObAeACw.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Good morning everybody... I was able to spray the green on this tonight. Its pretty close to the F.1c schemes that I've seen hopefully it passes muster. THWxwrg.jpg

Eszg7jJ.jpg

hVhqUy0.jpg

sfJYkIg.jpg

SDem6Sd.jpg

0mTz9t2.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Morning everyone... Painting is done, I finished up the radome tonight. I will clear coat it and then she gets shelved until three weeks before the end of the build. I will wait as long as I can for the decals. TNJkR43.jpg

dr7wMed.jpg

Please feel free to comment, or ask questions. 

Dennis

• Like 4

On 3/18/2021 at 9:23 AM, eclipse said:

Colors seem correct  to me, but I think the separation between them shouldn't be so blurred... but rather sharp !

@eclipse is quite right - the colours look good but the F1s in that scheme had hard-edge camouflage. AFAIK only the IIICZs had soft-edge camo in those colours.

Jon

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

@eclipse is quite right - the colours look good but the F1s in that scheme had hard-edge camouflage. AFAIK only the IIICZs had soft-edge camo in those colours.

Jon

At this point that would be a complete repaint. Ive tried touching paint-jobs up before. It never seems to work in my favor and I wind up having to re-do the whole plane in the end. Having just done that on my A-4 build I'm a bit loath to try it. 

• 1 month later...

Hello @Col. Im sorry to say I will need to withdraw from the groupbuild. Unfortunately between family and Health issues I can no longer continue modeling at this time. I will visit as often to follow builds and finish up the ANZAC build I’m running. If anyone has questions they can D/M me for more details, I’d rather not openly discuss them.

Dennis

• Sad 3

Sorry to learn you're not having a good time of life at the moment Dennis. If there's anything I can do to help, even if that is just a chat, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1