Afrika: Eduard desert Luftwaffe 190 in 1/48

Valkyrie

Having missed out on building one from this Royal Class boxing in the MTO III I will be making one of the 2 Afrika deployments included in the box. Being limited to building only one of the Afrika options from parts from the boxing I’m not restricted as purchased an overtrees kit in the Eduard sale last year when I went a bit daft on Spitfires. I do like the tropical filter but I really should make yellow 4 too, seen as I have the print of it involved in a naval attack of Bona Harbour hanging in the study...

50285377901_386674c71d_b.jpg

50285377916_0dc378b101_b.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Col. I am wondering do I try to squeeze U-boat U-331 into this GB too between two aircraft? Part of its Afrika action was to shell a fuel dump with its deck gun at Sidi Barani which might be an interesting wee addition...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks Col. I am wondering do I try to squeeze U-boat U-331 into this GB too between two aircraft? Part of its Afrika action was to shell a fuel dump with its deck gun at Sidi Barani which might be an interesting wee addition...

I'd certainly like to see your U-331 project here but only if you feel the timescale allows it in combination with your two others.

• Like 1

Team Afrika assemble.....

Ok, studying the instructions and it’s quite a tricky start...straight into photo etch drilling and painting...3 airframes, 2 sets of wings. Like the look of the tropical air filters though on top of the research books

50960856041_3aa90e10e6_b.jpg

• Like 5

Not a lot to show despite nearly a full day at the bench but it’s crunch time. I have to bite the bullet and saw off the cowling to replace it with another cowling mould which contains the tropical air filters.

50962079743_96754bac38_b.jpg

• Like 3

EKdo 19 were testing the suitability of Bf 109s and Fw 190s as ground attack aircraft in tropical conditions from Castel Benito airfield. 
The tropical filters cowl is one piece. I’ve never attempted anything like this before and although it looks like I used my teeth to make the cuts I’m hoping il be able to smooth this all out and once painted you’d never know...hopefully. My plan of attack is to make the entire front section up with cowling, cowling ring, underside and cowl mounted gun cover all around the engine pieces giving me the correct shape to then attach.

50965796878_241328093d_b.jpg

I had a real battle getting the sides of the fuselage to meet at top, bottom and rear and forward ends. I had to trim and sand a lot off the cockpits sides until I got enough tolerance to glue and hopefully over night it will bind in place. 

50966611137_d3b49181a1_b.jpg

• Like 5

The tropical filters might have been better just being the filters that could be placed over the top or replace just that part. Let’s hope it goes well, can’t stop now!

@AaronKSJ thanks for looking in. They have sat on the bench while I pluck up the courage to attempt it. My plan is to build up the cowl pieces which i have started so will get the proper shape and hope to try tomorrow with this...

Thanks 

• Like 3

I think this was the right approach to tackling this, port side engine cover with tropical filter is on the to the cowl ring and under cowl cover. The fit is going to be quite tight. I used Revell contacta first which bulged a bit from the seams so switched to extra thin which wasn’t sticking the flare dampening bits to the replacement engine covers. This stuck it but it has run onto the cowl ring a little..nothing a gentle sand won’t fix. Speaking of sand, I’m going to be trying to give this a sand blasted dusty sun bleached effect with powders by AK and maybe even the glue finger print might help with the texture...

50984064543_9566a12baf_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok so made a real mess of it but it’s together and tightening up. Should be able to tidy up the glue spillages. Eduard kits are magnificent but really over complicated a lot of the time which can be really off putting.

50984540028_c7be59937d_b.jpg

• Like 4

I hope so, with the fiddly construction of so many parts, hopefully the shape is correct. Getting it to mate up underside at the wing root and fuselage will be tricky too, then sanding all the glue off, probably losing all the nice rivets and detail. Should be plain sailing after that 

• Like 1

Cowl tidy is going well and despite Eduard’s ridiculous over engineering at times it’s coming together.

going to glue wings to fuselage next then put this to one side as I need to try something else...the 109..

50988637766_c0bd8a1b40_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Col, maybe it’s just me, but sometimes they are just over complicated. They are always worth it in the end...if you get to the end lol..