1:72 Sword Hawker Siddeley Harrier T.4

18 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

What do you mean yet? You Martians crack me up. So tell me, where did you guys hide all that water? We humans are spending a boat-load of cash trying to find it (and/or a microbe or two). I told them not only are there microbes, but ones with tentacles! If I knew where you hid the water, maybe then they would give me back my foil hat.

Cheers,

Bill

I think it was @Bandsaw Steve, or one of the other Members for Oz, who did actually attend some sort of space conference and pointed out that all the world's space agencies had to do was to write to me, email me, PM me or just phone me at Martian Towers, address provided below my avatar and ask all the questions they want. Instead of just doing that and saving themselves billions of pounds, they laughed at him and carried on in there own sweet way and would prefer to track down a microbe and ask it instead! I will never understand Earthlings.

As to our water supplies, some of them were lost in the last war with the Nimbly Pimblies of Bogworld Seven. The rest is locked up in our Polar ice caps, you know the big white things at either end of the planet? The rest is cunningly locked up in rocks so that the aforementioned Nimbly Pimblies can't get their evil tentacles on them anymore. See? Simples really. You can now go and reclaim your tinfoil hat.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, The Shearwater said:

That’s just looking amazing. Good work. I really hope someone reprints a suitable  decal sheet (I guess Vingtor or Combat?) so I can try similar! 

Try to find the Vingtor sheet somehow, eBay perhaps or the Wanted Section here in Britmodeller Land. I can't recommend the Combat sheet due to its inaccuracies. Plus, read on below...

10 hours ago, Martian said:

Helpful of Mars 👽

You are helpful indeed! I had completely lost track of the most recent Bogworld battles. Too bad Virgil, Homer, Statius or one of that ilk didn't write an epic poem about it. Then I would recall it for sure, as my library would be full of literary, allegorical, etymological and textual analyses by distinguished scholars. With diplomas even.     :)

Now I'm really glad I didn't use any of that Combat Decals sheet. The only bits I wanted to use were the detonation cords, and they literally disintegrated in water. As in hundreds of little pieces. Bad sheet that by-passed the normal quality checks? Who knows - but I suspect I would have been polishing up on my Anglo-Saxon if I had to contend with the rest of that sheet.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Nice jet.

Another Neville Shute fan here.  No Highway is good - a thinly-veiled story about metal fatigue that is in no way about early Comets, no sir.  He is old-fashioned, but he could write and he understood aviation / engineering cos he were one.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

You are helpful indeed! I had completely lost track of the most recent Bogworld battles. Too bad Virgil, Homer, Statius or one of that ilk didn't write an epic poem about it. Then I would recall it for sure, as my library would be full of literary, allegorical, etymological and textual analyses by distinguished scholars. With diplomas even.     :)

Clearly, these so called learned gentlemen weren't paying attention.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Try to find the Vingtor sheet somehow, eBay perhaps or the Wanted Section here in Britmodeller Land. I can't recommend the Combat sheet due to its inaccuracies. Plus, read on below...

You are helpful indeed! I had completely lost track of the most recent Bogworld battles. Too bad Virgil, Homer, Statius or one of that ilk didn't write an epic poem about it, then I would recall it for sure, as my library would be full of literary, allegorical, etymological and textual analyses by distinguished scholars. With diplomas even.     :)

Now I'm really glad I didn't use any of that Combat Decals sheet. The only bits I wanted to use were the detonation cords, and they literally disintegrated in water. As in hundreds of little pieces. Bad sheet that by-passed the normal quality checks? Who knows - but I suspect I would have been polishing up on my Anglo-Saxon if I had to contend with the rest of that sheet.

Pardon another small delay whilst I print my own detonation cord stickers.

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you for the reply - I’m too new to ask in Wanted here, but there are none to be found in the wider world (eBay, google etc). Interesting comment re the Combat sheet, shame if yours was a representative sample: there were at least three airframes on it that I wanted to build!!!

41 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

No Highway

That's been made into a film, with the lead played by James Stewart as a partly unhinged genius. It's OK from our point of view I guess, but it's hardly Oscar listing material even by 1950s standard. 

Quite an interesting "What If" imaginary airliner conjured up by somebody's imagination, but I doubt if it was Shute's. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

That's been made into a film, with the lead played by James Stewart as a partly unhinged genius.

With an older Marlene Dietrich too. And a younger Winifred Banks.

Cheers,

Bill

At the end of the day, we have a pile of forlorn short-run Harrier parts...

IMG_5759

I followed the instructions to the letter, but just couldn't find anywhere to put them. They'll be sent to the Island of Misfit Styrene. In the meantime, I think the VAAC Harrier is finished:

IMG_5758

The last few antennae were added along with the nose probe. I had to make a brace to go across the middle of the front canopy and also added the canopy retention cables. Oh, and two more weather vanes, one on the nose and one on the windscreen. I think you can see them better here:

IMG_5757

A proper RFI will follow in the next couple of days. I hope - it's springtime and wifey has been working on that honey-do list all winter. I'm scared.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

A stunning result, great workmanship with outstanding paintwork and finishing as we've come to expect from you Bill.

Looking forward to the next adventure now!

Stay safe             Roger

• Thanks 1

Catchy scheme, impeccably rendered :worthy: :worthy:  :clap: 

So what's next? Besides:

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

wifey has been working on that honey-do list all winter

:D  

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Very nice model, Bill. It is really an inspiration for me to build one myself some day.... Luckily I have a set of decals. 😉

Nils

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

At the end of the day, we have a pile of forlorn short-run Harrier parts... I followed the instructions to the letter, but just couldn't find anywhere to put them. They'll be sent to the Island of Misfit Styrene.

Lovely build!

Might I be so bold as to beg for the surplus intake and exhaust parts..? I have an iuncomplete Harrier kit that misses those. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Dusting? Dusting?

Many, many years ago, when we were first married, I mentioned to my wife that some little bits seemed to have fallen off the models on the shelf :hmmm:.

She looked a bit sheepish... 'Oh, that might have been me dusting!     :boom: <<< me!

I had to explain...

Sorry, a bit :offtopic:

• Haha 2