1:72 Sword Hawker Siddeley Harrier T.4

Oh wow Bill,..... just stumbled upon this build,..... when the kit came out I bought it and started it in order to build it as the VAAC Harrier as I think it looks great in this scheme and remember seeing it on the ramp at RNAS Yeovilton alongside the black naval 2 seaters,.....but when it came to painting it I bottled it and it has sat gathering dust on the shelf of doom ever since! Hope you can work your magic and inspire me to dust it off mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I don't play chess.    :)

Oh, you mean the mini-series. Not yet, we still have 4 seasons of DCI Banks to get through. And then 5 seasons of Scott & Bailey, then An Inspector Calls, and anything Agatha Christie related. Are you getting the vibe that my wife likes detective stories?

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,.... if you both like British detective series I can highly recommend Inspector George Gently,.... based in 1960`s Durham,..... Endeavour,.... which is 1960`s Oxfordshire featuring a young Inspector Morse and also A Touch of Frost with Sir David Jason.  

• Like 2

I use Mr Mark Setter and find that it usually works very well with all decals.  I brush a little on the spot where the decal is to sit, slide the decal in place and gently press it down with a cotton bud.  When it has dried I brush a thin layer of Mr Mark Setter over the top to ensure it has settled down.  Really thick decals or decals applied over a compound curve or lumps and bumps are hit with Mr Mark Softer which helps them conform and settle down snuggly  HTH.

The Harrier is looking great, I have  one to do on this scheme when I get around to it I hope it turns out half as well as yours.

AW

ps we enjoy British detective shows to, but just could not get on with Scott & Bailey, IMO the worst cops ever!

• Like 3

On 20/03/2021 at 16:48, tonyot said:

Hope you can work your magic and inspire me to dust it off mate,

We'll do our best Tony! Hopefully the photos at the end of this post will help light the spark.     :)

On 20/03/2021 at 16:56, tonyot said:

Bill,.... if you both like British detective series I can highly recommend Inspector George Gently,.... based in 1960`s Durham,..... Endeavour,.... which is 1960`s Oxfordshire featuring a young Inspector Morse and also A Touch of Frost with Sir David Jason.  

Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like I have to subscribe to some more streaming services, like Britbox, to get these. No problemo, it's only money right?

On 20/03/2021 at 19:15, Andwil said:

I use Mr Mark Setter and find that it usually works very well with all decals.  I brush a little on the spot where the decal is to sit, slide the decal in place and gently press it down with a cotton bud.  When it has dried I brush a thin layer of Mr Mark Setter over the top to ensure it has settled down.  Really thick decals or decals applied over a compound curve or lumps and bumps are hit with Mr Mark Softer which helps them conform and settle down snuggly  HTH.

The Harrier is looking great, I have  one to do on this scheme when I get around to it I hope it turns out half as well as yours.

Thanks for the tips. I'm preparing a bunch of mules to try out some different combinations, including decal application over flat paint. I'll be surprised if that works, but I've now read two opinions on the net that promote the idea.

All right, what's the status in stickerdom? All on, that's the status! I think she's starting to look rather smart.

IMG_5746

IMG_5747

IMG_5748

This was the first time I've used @Vingtor decals, and let me say I'm impressed. Very thin, dislodge from the backing paper almost immediately, and snuggle down nicely without any Micro-Sol or similar solvents.

I've separated the nozzles from their casting blocks and will be painting them next. Interestingly, the cold nozzles do not appear to be painted for this aircraft.

33404164424_90edff54e0_b

What's left - a little paint touch-up here and there, tailplanes, canopies, rear windscreen, antennae, windscreen wiper, airbrake, nozzles, heat shields, gear doors, and that nose probe / weather station. Also need to add the ejection seats and control columns to the cockpit. And probably something else - oh yeah, the only decals I'll use from the Combat Decals sheet: the det cords. In other words, the remaining 80%.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 22

WOW,... that looks gorgeous Bill,..... definitely got me wanting to crack on with mine now! Britbox should be OK,.... especially in the States if you like British TV,.... we trialled it and had lots of buffering so sacked it. 

This Harrier just oozes crisp skill and attention to detail mate,..... your usual calling cards.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Anybody else like reading Neville Shute's stories?? 

I know it's an old fashioned, obsolete medium, but I love them. A couple have been made into movies, a long time ago but I doubt they will be high up in the pop culture algorithm listings. 

Box sets kinda go on interminably 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Anybody else like reading Neville Shute's stories??

I'll have to look him up. Since the discussion was about detective shows, can I assume these are detective or mystery stories?

3 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Might be too late, but your reference photo shows white wheel rims. 

Good catch - going back through all my photos it appears that it's only the nose wheel and maybe the outriggers that have a white rim. Anyway, it's never too late! I have a paintbrush and I know how to use it!    :)

27184949413_aea4412de8_b

49134814357_54884c1f8c_o

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

assume these are detective or mystery stories?

No not really to be honest. Sometimes a bit of a mystery that needs resolving but definitely not cop detectives. 

Quite often planes are involved. Shute had a background in aero design but I'd need to brush up on the history. I have a feeling he worked on the R101 

Later...... Erkkkkk!!! 

No no, I mean the R100.... The Barnes Wallis one, I mean! 

Good ripping yarns is how I'd describe them 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Correction
  • Like 1

Nevil Schute Norway started out at De Havillands, moved to Vickers where he became Barnes Wallace's deputy designing the R100, then took over as Chief Engineer when Wallace left. After the airships were cancelled he cofounded the Airspeed aircraft company. Slide Rule is his autobiography, covers aircraft design and development, hence why I linked it to the subject of this thread, a research and development aircraft.

Several of his novels have been filmed, probably the most famous being On the Beach starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, and Anthony Perkins, and A Town Like Alice  starring Virginia McKenna and Peter Finch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Several of his novels have been filmed, probably the most famous being On the Beach starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, and Anthony Perkins, and A Town Like Alice  starring Virginia McKenna and Peter Finch.

OK, I just downloaded those two books and we'll give it a go. I have a feeling that sometime in my distant past I saw On The Beach. Reading the book will no doubt refresh my addled memory.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2021 at 9:36 PM, Navy Bird said:

Wow, am I glad that @Vingtor found one of his decal sheets. There are significant differences between his sheet and the one I have from Combat Decals. Things like font, line weight, size of stencils, etc. Vingtor's are far more accurate, and a much better representation of the actual aircraft. Kudos to Nils!    :clap:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. This worries me now, as the Combat sheet (two sheets actually) has markings for other test and research aircraft I'd like to build. Are they inaccurate too? Ugh, well back to DCI Banks...

Thanks, Bill. I try to put some effort into research. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fiddlybits 'R' Us - here's what I've gleaned from my photos...

Blade Antenna

(2) top of nose

(1) between air intakes on spine behind cockpit

(2) farther back on the spine

(1) aft of airbrake

(1) on starboard instrument pod

(1) on port instrument pod

(1) underneath starboard fuselage roundel

(1) forward of nose gear bay

Pitot-type probes

(1) upper port side of vertical fin

(1) lower starboard nose by nose gear

Dipole or Whip Antenna

(1) starboard instrument pod

"Weather Vanes"

(2) on windscreen

(4) on nose probe

...and some pyramid kinda sorta thing near spine navigation light. I think. Maybe. I can't really tell what it is.    :confused:

So, have I missed anything? See what I mean about the last 80% of the work remaining after you finish the first 80% of the time required to build the model?

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

So, have I missed anything? See what I mean about the last 80% of the work remaining after you finish the first 80% of the time required to build the model?

Cheers,

Bill

Ah yes.... the "End Game"....

On a different note- see the original "On the Beach" With Gregory Peck, and not the remake with Armand Assante.

• Like 1

OK, now that was fiddly!

IMG_5752

Remind me not to do that again. The weather vanes wouldn't really fit into the holes in the probe, so I put in a short bit of 0.008" diameter wire instead, and glued the vanes to that. Plus, the vanes wanted to bend just by looking at them. You can't really see all four of the vanes in the photo, but they're all there. I painted this with GSI Super Chrome Metallic 2, and it is a LOT more shiny that it appears here. It looks like, well, chrome.    :)

The tailplanes are on. The antenna have been added to the instrument pods, upper nose, lower spine, in front of the starboard cool exhaust, one on the upper spine, and a probe of some sort on the port side of the vertical fin. Exhausts are on, as well as the gear doors and air brake. The ejection seats and control columns are in, as well as the rear instrument panel and coaming. The rear HUD is waiting for its combining glass.

IMG_5756

IMG_5755

And I don't think I've shown you the belly of the beast:

IMG_5754

Not all that exciting but I add it here for completeness.    :)

Oh, some photoetch rings were added to the sides of the outriggers. Tie downs of some kind? Latches maybe? Not a lot left - a couple of weather vanes for the windscreen and nose, two more antennae for the spine, and the canopies which I'm working on now. Pretty soon!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 23

38 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Bill, she just gets more sublime.

She's changing directly from a solid to a gas?? Oh, wait...that's sublimate. My bad.    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Bill, she just gets more sublime.

Agreed; we'll make a modeller of him yet!

Martian👽

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

Sorry Bill.  Sublime:- tending to inspire awe usually because of elevated quality or transcendent excellence.  Clearer? ;)

Ah, I see now. Transcendent. If I recall my philosophy class, things that are transcendent are those beyond Aristotle's ten levels of experience. That describes this Harrier model to a "T"! Especially building that nose probe weather station thingie.    :)

5 hours ago, Martian said:

Agreed; we'll make a modeller of him yet!

What do you mean yet? You Martians crack me up. So tell me, where did you guys hide all that water? We humans are spending a boat-load of cash trying to find it (and/or a microbe or two). I told them not only are there microbes, but ones with tentacles! If I knew where you hid the water, maybe then they would give me back my foil hat.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 3