1:72 Sword Hawker Siddeley Harrier T.4

Step 3b: The Last of the Signal Red

IMG_5739

IMG_5740

There is a bit of overspray here and there, some edges to clean up and/or Micro-Mesh, etc. And more work to be done inside the intakes. But as far as I can tell, I've followed the paint scheme as it appears in photos. I'll get this work finished, and then paint the gear legs and wheel wells plus add the anti-glare area on the nose.

Can't wait to get some stickers on this baby.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. If it means anything Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue and Mr. Hobby H-23 Shine Red are very good matches for MRP Oxford Blue and Signal Red. This is good news for touching up some small areas, as the MRP paints cannot be brushed.

• Like 22

7 hours ago, Edge said:

Always love the neatness of your work Bill.

I thought exactly those same words in the same order. Same spelling and everything.

Coincidence?

I think not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I thought exactly those same words in the same order. Same spelling and everything.

You spell check your thoughts Tony?  Cor - there’s academic aptitude for you......

I thought roughly the same words in vaguely the same order.  Have no idea if they were spelled correctly 🤔

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Coincidence?

I think not.

Thanks. And it's not a coincidence, it's just psychometry.     :)

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Outstandingly neat masking and painting. It’s taken me about three attempts on a Hunter and it’s still nowhere near this good. 

Thanks. The masking was very fiddly. I start with Tamiya 1mm wide Kabuki tape and use that to define the areas to be painted. You can use this for curves as long as they are not too small of a radius. Then lots of different length and width tapes to cover the rest. Suffice to say that I'm one of Tamiya's best masking tape customers.

The hardest part was the red area on the intake - in the side view the edges need to look straight and align with those on the forward fuselage. I moved the tape around several times before I was happy.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I thought roughly the same words in vaguely the same order.  Have no idea if they were spelled correctly 🤔

Well, you spelled everything in your comment correctly so I suspect your thoughts do the same. Although you do have an odd way of spelling Friday...     :)

I thought about doing a Hawk next, but then I would keep comparing it to your work and I'd feel inadequate. Will have to do something else!   

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

That masking and paintwork is something to aspire to. From here it looks tack-sharp.

Thanks - it's one of the advantages of using a long focal length lens. Just kidding, I'm really quite chuffed at how it came out. Some things to clean up, but not much.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

You spell check your thoughts Tony?  Cor - there’s academic aptitude for you......

Mine were written in crayon.  Aircrew, eh?

• Haha 7

Picking up on the words, thoughts, order and spelling theme, in this whole sequence of comments  (did you see what I did there) I have to say ditto.

Terry

• Haha 3

Sorry for my lack of activity. My old employer has yet again called on me to perform tasks easily performed by automatons who don't have a couple hundred model kits to build before paying Charon to cross the Styx. Ugh. At least the old boss pays well.

I finished the cleanup on the paint scheme, including the areas that wrap around the intake lips (done by hand - with a brush!), and managed to get the main wheels and tyres on. I was about to mask off the anti-glare panel when I realised that photos show a lumpy bump in that area. Glad I noticed it now - I really should pay more attention. Anyway, I rummaged around in the Box of Misfit Styrene and found a lumpy bump! Zeus has been looking out for me. I henceforth added said lumpy bump on top of the nose.

IMG_5744

There are two blade antennae and six(!) of those weather vane thingies up front as well (if you include those on the nose probe), but they are too fiddly to go on now. My next tasks are painting the anti-glare panel, some vents, and that radome-coloured area on the fin (I think it's the forward radar warning receiver). Then my favourite - the "five points determine a plane" dance with the outriggers. Always a fun Harrier activity. At that point, I think we'll be ready for transfers.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 12

That’s an absolutely awesomely neat paint job Bill.  I’m not sure anyone but you could make as neat a job of it as that.  Not even gonna bovver trying to find a superlative that does proper justice to it - there ain’t one 😁 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Beard said:

That is really rather smart.i'm looking forward to seeing the stickers in it

Me too, that's when she really comes to life. Soon!     🙃

23 minutes ago, Fritag said:

That’s an absolutely awesomely neat paint job Bill.  I’m not sure anyone but you could make as neat a job of it as that.  Not even gonna bovver trying to find a superlative that does proper justice to it - there ain’t one 😁 

Thanks! Whoever actually painted XW175 did a pretty neat job - I'm just following him (her).     🖌️

15 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I just stumbled over this 'un, Bill, and haven't read the back pages yet, but that is one eye-catching Harrier airframe sitting on the bench! 

I mean...... WOW!! 

I'd like to watch the grand finale 😎👍

Thanks, I picked this scheme because it's so eye-catching. One of these days I'll do another grey jet but only after I run out of experimental, display and anniversary schemes. I'll see if I can find some fireworks for the grand finale.     🎆

Success! The Harrier is now sitting on all five tyres simultaneously. Film at 11.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Arghh...I may never build another model this year! Wifey wants me to binge-watch 5 seasons of DCI Banks! I never should have downloaded those novels for her....      :rage:   :wall:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Arghh...I may never build another model this year! Wifey wants me to binge-watch 5 seasons of DCI Banks! I never should have downloaded those novels for her....      :rage:   :wall:

Cheers,

Bill

Have you watched The Queen's Gambit yet??

On 3/15/2021 at 1:34 PM, Navy Bird said:

Thanks. The masking was very fiddly. I start with Tamiya 1mm wide Kabuki tape and use that to define the areas to be painted. You can use this for curves as long as they are not too small of a radius. Then lots of different length and width tapes to cover the rest. Suffice to say that I'm one of Tamiya's best masking tape customers.

You and me Both, Bro...

Inlet-1 Inlet-2

• Like 3

12 hours ago, David H said:

Have you watched The Queen's Gambit yet??

I don't play chess.    :)

Oh, you mean the mini-series. Not yet, we still have 4 seasons of DCI Banks to get through. And then 5 seasons of Scott & Bailey, then An Inspector Calls, and anything Agatha Christie related. Are you getting the vibe that my wife likes detective stories?

The first sticker is about to go on. And speaking of stickers, I picked up a bottle of Mr. Mark Setter to go along my bottle of Mr. Mark Softer. The Setter looks like highly diluted 2% milk. Does anyone know the correct way to use it? On-line all I see are folks guessing that it's used just like Micro-Set, but I suspect there's more to it than that. It might even have something to do with those notoriously thick and rigid decals we see from Tamiya and Hasegawa once in a while. But I don't know as I haven't been practicing my Japanese lately.

Cheers,

Bill

46 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I picked up a bottle of Mr. Mark Setter to go along my bottle of Mr. Mark Softer. The Setter looks like highly diluted 2% milk. Does anyone know the correct way to use it?

If find out, could you tell me? I float the sticker on the milky one, push it down, then apply more. I think it's used to stick the decal down and soften it but I ain't sure.

23 minutes ago, Beard said:

If find out, could you tell me? I float the sticker on the milky one, push it down, then apply more. I think it's used to stick the decal down and soften it but I ain't sure.

Will do.

My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that it is a mild adhesive in addition to being a mild solvent. Remember the old Monogram decals? "Milkiness that may appear is for better decal adhesion and will dry clear." If Mark Setter has adhesive properties then it might resist the formation of air bubbles better than a typical setting solution. Perhaps. Speculation. One comment I saw on a forum somewhere said you can use it to apply decals over flat paint. Would be a miracle if that worked - I guess I need to start testing it on some mules!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Wow, am I glad that @Vingtor found one of his decal sheets. There are significant differences between his sheet and the one I have from Combat Decals. Things like font, line weight, size of stencils, etc. Vingtor's are far more accurate, and a much better representation of the actual aircraft. Kudos to Nils!    :clap:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. This worries me now, as the Combat sheet (two sheets actually) has markings for other test and research aircraft I'd like to build. Are they inaccurate too? Ugh, well back to DCI Banks...

• Like 1