1:72 Sword Hawker Siddeley Harrier T.4

14 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Is that red stuff you're using from an ancient tube of Mattos Paint car body filler putty? 

Similar - it's Nitro-Stan Red Glazing Putty. One tube lasts a lifetime, and it feathers so beautifully when sanding.

14 hours ago, David H said:

Bill, does the excess red putty around the Sabrina fairings swab away with a Q-Tip and Mr Color Thinner, or Acetone, or something similar?

Yup, Mr. Color Thinner works great. But you need to be careful as it's quite easy to remove it all that way.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The modelling equivalent of a wine tasting I guess...

Is the Hasegawa bouquet different than Sword? I suspect it is, but I can't tell. Ever since my sinus surgery, pneumonia, and pleural effusion I have little sense of smell.

Anybody know exactly what those two pods are? Me be curious. Must be some kind of electronic doo-daddery.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

On 2/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, Vingtor said:

I specify Oxford Blue as the colour on the Vingtor instruction sheet. Don't remember where I got the information from though.

(ww2) Roundel Blue and Oxford Blue as a match did come up in the Hurricane IIc topic, as well. 

• Like 1

A little bit of primer here and there to see how much more work needs to be done on the seams, etc.

IMG_5723

Not too bad, but there's still some work to be done. A modeller can never rest. Although I did rest some today - I got my second vaccine jab yesterday and woke up this morning feeling like I had the flu. No fever, but lots of body aches. But this is good - it means my immune system (which is depleted on a good day) was working overtime making antibodies to fight the virus it thinks I have.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I got my second vaccine jab yesterday and woke up this morning feeling like I had the flu. No fever, but lots of body aches.

I had a reaction like that after my first, but also with fever and shakes. As you say, that is good because it tells you the immune system is earning it's keep! My second is not due till early May, and as far as I'm concerned I'll take the shakes and fever again if necessary ............. bring on those antibodies!

The Harrier is looking great. Such an attractive looking aircraft IMHO.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 26/02/2021 at 19:31, Terry1954 said:

The Harrier is looking great. Such an attractive looking aircraft IMHO.

Thanks Terry! She's going to look even better in the old Raspberry Ripple flavour.     :)

But before I can start painting, I needed to clean up the seams. I think I have them where I'm happy, but I suspect when I put on that first coat of white I'll spy something that I missed. Always happens.    :doh:

In the meantime, I finished the modified coaming and add the HUD up front. Surprisingly, the coaming fits well and kinda sorta looks like it's supposed to.

IMG_5728

This is all required because the front windscreen will be added and faired into the fuselage prior to painting. The rear coaming and HUD can come later. The HUD framework is from the kit's PE fret, and the glass is a leftover bit of film from an Eduard Sea Harrier set. Too much fun!

I received the funky nose probe with its four wind vanes. Yikes.     🥴

Cheers,

Bill

PS. See that black hole in the spine behind the cockpit? Any screen or mesh supposed to cover that up? The photos of the real aircraft just show a black hole.

PPS. There was a funky PE screen that came with the kit, but it went ZING when I tried a test fit (it way too big).

• Like 13

Hello Bill, any chance of a closer picture of the instrument coaming please. Did you use the kit piece or create a new one as the one in the kit is a bit of a problem.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Hello Bill, any chance of a closer picture of the instrument coaming please. Did you use the kit piece or create a new one as the one in the kit is a bit of a problem.

I had some leftover Sea Harrier parts from my build of the Fujimi kit. These included the forward fuselage section from the Hasegawa kit, which is too short and curves up too much on the bottom. I hacked out the coaming (moulded as part of each fuselage half) and modified it so it would fit the Sword cockpit. The Hasegawa coaming was too narrow, so I spread it apart when I glued the two halves back together, then filled the top so it wasn't concave. I also did some "sculpting" to give it a shape that would fit inside the Sword windscreen, and not be too tall. I also had to modify the front instrument panel so it fit better inside the modified Hasegawa coaming. Basically, the panel was too wide so it had to be trimmed a bit.

IMG_5730

IMG_5729

At the end of the day, I think it will be all right. The coaming that came with the kit was much flatter and actually wider than the fuselage itself. Bad Sword. Someone wasn't paying attention on that one.

I hate those highly magnified photos of 1:72 scale models - everything looks so rough!

So, no one has a guess about the "black hole" behind the pit?

VAAC-Harrier-T4

I can't tell if there is a screen over that opening or not. Oh well, until I know better it stays a black hole. The Sword kit is also a bit misshapen in that area too - the top of the spine is too flat.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

can't tell if there is a screen over that opening or not.

Bill, I can't help with questions of function I'm afraid but certainly from the fall of shadow in this image there's no grille visible at the opening, although there's a louvre of some kind visible at times from this walkaround.

• Like 2

You can see a grille here. Which, by the way, looks just like the PE part that Sword included but unfortunately went into the ether. Dang. I wonder if Dyson has a vacuum specifically designed to scoop up items lost in the ether. If not, they should. They'd make a killing.

Now I have to go look through my leftover PE frets and see if I have anything like that. I doubt it.   :(

Cheers,

Bill

EDIT: I've learned that this area on Harriers is referred to as a boundary or bleed air spill duct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

EDIT: I've learned that this area on Harriers is referred to as a boundary or bleed air spill duct.

Sounds quite similar to Ignatius J. Reilly's one....

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sounds quite similar to Ignatius J. Reilly's one....

Yes, but his had a valve...     :)

I found a bit of PE that might work for a grille, should someone convince me that XW175 had one. It's one of those afterburner flame ring thingies - but it's approximately the right curvature and when trimmed to the size of the kit's black hole, it would kinda sorta look like the photo I linked to. Of course, once I cut it to size it will probably go ZING! too.     :wall:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Those of you who don't get the Ignatius J. Reilly reference need to consult The Consolation of Philosophy, er, I mean the Internet.

• Haha 2

15833715440_7fdc534352_z.jpga21 by aaron hughes1, on Flickr

Taken from my big Harrier build. 

Theres a great photo in Chris Allens Fast jets book of this very area so I copied it. Difficult in 1.24 near impossible in 72 I should imagine

Edited by Darth Vader
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Theres a great photo in Chris Allens Fast jets book of this very area so I copied it. Difficult in 1.24 near impossible in 72 I should imagine

Thanks, Aaron. Thank goodness it's only near impossible! Just in case I have to add it - but I still don't see it in any photos. And I've been looking a lot. Maybe they painted the grille flat black to match the black hole. Then again, if it's a black hole, light wouldn't escape and I couldn't see it anyway.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

White ?

My sense of humour. Although, as the scheme is "Raspberry Ripple" she will get an overall coat of white prior to the Signal Red and Oxford Blue.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Oh well, at least I can say she's all primed up and ready to go!  

Very neat and smooth! :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Ah, crap. She was supposed to be white.      :doh:

IMG_5731

IMG_5732

Oh well, at least I can say she's all primed up and ready to go!  

Cheers,

Bill

Thought you'd changed your mind and painting her as a Navy Bird! instead of raspberry ripple

Stay safe           Roger  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Very neat and smooth! :worthy:

Thinner is my friend.     :)

10 hours ago, Hamden said:

Thought you'd changed your mind and painting her as a Navy Bird! instead of raspberry ripple

Raspberry Ripple she shall be - I'm not too keen on grey jets at the moment (unless they're EDSG of course). But I'll have to get over that at some point, as I have a bunch of them in the stash! At present, though, my mojo is geared towards colourful display and anniversary schemes, even if it has to be an F-16 - got one of them Tiger meet jobbers somewhere.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nils, the decal sheet arrived safe and sound today. Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know.

Nils

• Like 1

Well, she's had her coat of semi-gloss white. A couple of days ago actually. However, the paint has not cured yet (I can still smell it), so I can't get to masking and spraying the Signal Red and Oxford Blue. I should have known better than to shoot her with Model Master...what was I thinking? Idiot...     :doh:

The remaining clear parts have been dipped in Future. Wheels and tyres are finished. There is really not a lot more I can do until that crummy Testors paint dries. It was an old(er) bottle, and I'm going to be a bit irked if it never cures. I've seen it happen.

Guess I'll start something else in the meantime. Stash here - any recommendations?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2