Beginners Acrylic (airbrushable) Eduard Paint question

Tony Davis

I am in the process of building my first (well, for about 46 years, so, same thing really) model aircraft and I have a couple of questions about spraying suitable acrylic paint.

I have built some model railway wagons and have sprayed using Vallejo model air with some success, using a badger velocity airbrush.

I had a look at the colour requirements for the model (Eduard Fokker Dr.1 1/48 weekend edition) and first of all the colour references seem to be for Gunze or Mission models. I set about looking up equivalent colours in Vallejo model air. To my dismay I find that none of the colours I have in stock are the ones I need to use now, so I went to a local shop to buy some and they only had Humbrol enamels or Vallejo model colours, so I came home empty handed.

I will obviously need to buy all the paints on the list so that got me wondering if it would be better to buy the paints as listed on the instructions sheet, but I wanted to get some input first.

I know we all have our favourite brands, but I have been happy with Vallejo model air thus far, it sprays nicely, it doesn't really smell, and is reasonably cheap. But, I am aware that others may know better so, is it a case of "stick with what you know", or, "No, there are far better makes of paint out there which would suit far better"

Another question, is it better to brush paint metallics?

Thanks

Tony