Alitalia Boeing 727-200, Airfix 1:144

neilg

I've just completed this build, the latest in my old airliner kits.

I really enjoyed this build, but it's taking longer than I'd like because of work and bad weather outside (I use rattle cans outside).

I don't have any liveries with green, so I thought the Alitalia livery would add something interesting to the collection.  This is I-DIRI, Citta di Siena.

The previous Airfix 727 I built had the Iberia markings, but I used Humbrol gloss white, which yellowed really badly over time.

This time, I used the standard Halford's appliance gloss white, with Humbrol gloss varnish and Autoglym super resin polish for a deep shine.

It might be a very simple kit, but I didn't have any challenges or fit issues with it.

IMG_3351

IMG_3353

IMG_3354

IMG_3355

IMG_3356

IMG_3357

IMG_3358

• Like 62

The Airfix 727 was my first airliner kit. You've done a great job of it. 

I have one in my stash with decals for Hunting Cargo Airlines who I worked for. My favourite job that. 

Must dig it out and finish it. 

• Like 4

Looks really great!

I use rattle cans as well outside, as I have limited space indoors and have had a torrid time using them in the cold weather. 

Airfix were the first models i made back in the early /mid 1980s. 

I am making a green liveried A320 now but no way its as well executed as yours!

Edited by Zulu Hotel Alpha
adding thoughts.
  • Like 1

Top work there, I do so love seeing Civil builds up here on the forum. And, I can even remember seeing 72's wearing that Livery. Great model - tip top and good to see what can really be done with that old plastic from Airfix

• Like 1

On 16/02/2021 at 13:15, Alex1978 said:

Very nice build.

Classic airliner in a classic livery 👍🏅

I have my last few of them on my bench.Awaiting the paint

Which one are you building?

7 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Top work there, I do so love seeing Civil builds up here on the forum. And, I can even remember seeing 72's wearing that Livery. Great model - tip top and good to see what can really be done with that old plastic from Airfix

Do you know what, I don't think I've ever actually seen a 727!

1 hour ago, neilg said:

Which one are you building?

Never saw/heard a 727 in real life ???😱

You really missed something there...

I am currently working on 3 Airfix 727s ,1) Demonstrator markings,like the 747, 2) Nigeria Airways , 3) Tunis Air old livery. Another Airfix -200 kit that I won at an auction for a bargain will be made in Air Canada livery as it was released by Airfix.

2 Revell 727-100s are also on the bench with one will be build in the Lufthansa delivery scheme,the other is not yet decided

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Never saw/heard a 727 in real life ???😱

You really missed something there...

I am currently working on 3 Airfix 727s ,1) Demonstrator markings,like the 747, 2) Nigeria Airways , 3) Tunis Air old livery. Another Airfix -200 kit that I won at an auction for a bargain will be made in Air Canada livery as it was released by Airfix.

2 Revell 727-100s are also on the bench with one will be build in the Lufthansa delivery scheme,the other is not yet decided

I would love to see the Revell and Airfix builds side-by-side when they're done!

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

Nice looking 727 you've got there! Wonderful classic 70s/80s livery too.

I seem to remember flying on one Rome to Heathrow in 1984 when the A300 we should have flown in developed a fault with the nose gear.

2 hours ago, neilg said:

I missed one a few weeks ago. I heard an unusual plane fly over fairly low and when I checked on Flightradar24 noticed it was the Oil Response 727 flying over just above the low clouds, bummer! I think it's based at Doncaster.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Neil,

Nice looking 727 you've got there! Wonderful classic 70s/80s livery too.

I seem to remember flying on one Rome to Heathrow in 1984 when the A300 we should have flown in developed a fault with the nose gear.

I missed one a few weeks ago. I heard an unusual plane fly over fairly low and when I checked on Flightradar24 noticed it was the Oil Response 727 flying over just above the low clouds, bummer! I think it's based at Doncaster.

Cheers,

Ian

Oh yes!  Now you reminded me, I have seen one!

It was the oil spill response 727, which I saw flying over the Solent when I lived in Portsmouth.

But it was half-way between Southsea and the Isle of Wight, so it was pretty far away - I just recognised the silhouette of it.

I did see the 727 on Flightradar 24 on approach to Lasham yesterday or the day before.

And I saw a blue and white private 727 on approach to Le Bourget some years ago as well - it's all coming back to me now!

Edited by neilg

1 hour ago, neilg said:

I would love to see the Revell and Airfix builds side-by-side when they're done!

They will be posted here in the RFI section when they are done.

But it will be a while until then,I have another project on the go that I would like to finish.

My AN-225 with the Buran is now going to the finishing stage after I was forced to halt the project due to some issues.

After that is done, the 727s will be continued on.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kapam said:

Very, very nice!

If I see any 727's these days they are generally seeing out their days as freighters.

You have brought back good memories of when they were leading passenger carriers.

:goodjob:

5 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Nice model. Very tidy..

Never seen a 727.....there must be a help line for that...

Back in '96, there were a few left doing charters. But it was as cargo, particularly overnight cargo was were they served out their time. Thanks to the awkwardness of the CAA, (Campaign Against Aviation) who demanded modifications which amounted to a million quid per jet. This for airliners who flew safely for many years in other countries. So Hunting registered them in Ireland who had a more pragmatic view. That's why so few 727s were G reg. Danair springs to mind. Others were registered in Belgium. 

So no surprise that many British enthusiasts have never seen a 727.

But I can thank the CAA for my best job ever working for Hunting. An iconic name. Because they moved to Dublin. I even got to fly in 727s in the jump seat. Horse Charters mostly. Quite smelly. 🐴

I even came close to lining up a pilot job in 727s. But first I'd have to do my time in Hunting's Lockheed Electras. Dream come true for me. 

It didn't quite work out but I did get to taxi an L188. 👍

Edited by noelh
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...