1/72 Boeing 737-200 Air Zimbabwe

mitchem

Just read this from the top... really nice to see a larger scale airliner and what a nice scheme...

For the joining of fuselage to wings and subsequent painting, can't you bag most of the fuselage and just mask around the immediate area of the join/where you need to fill/sand?  That way you're not risking (or reducing the risk of) decals getting pulled up?

Matt

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 10:32 PM, Mattlow said:

Just read this from the top... really nice to see a larger scale airliner and what a nice scheme...

For the joining of fuselage to wings and subsequent painting, can't you bag most of the fuselage and just mask around the immediate area of the join/where you need to fill/sand?  That way you're not risking (or reducing the risk of) decals getting pulled up?

Matt

Thanks Matt - good idea. I was considering low-tack masking paper, but that was before I discovered exactly how fragile my decals are!....

All of the markings in my previous post had to be removed after they came into contact with water. Occupational hazard of ink-jet decals when you don't seal them in correctly. 🥴

Based on the photographic evidence, it doesn't look like much has been happening, but....

• new decals were printed before applying them to the fuselage.
  • All of the windows were remasked.
  • Panel line wash was applied to the rudder hinge line (this appears to be quite prominent in online reference photos)
  • Everything was sealed in with a coat of satin varnish
  • Boeing grey was applied to the wings outboard of the engines (for some reason or other, the port wing proved to be a bit problematic)
  • Panel line wash was applied to the horizontal surfaces that had been painted.

vGDImp7.jpg

sSi1i0V.jpg

I reckon that I should now be in a position to mask off the fuselage, before permanently attaching the wings....and filling the gaps.

(The hole at the front of the starboard wing root should be interesting?)

vPekllj.jpg

(The sister build taking place behind the scenes is proving to be a bit trickier than I had hoped for. (How many of us ever thought that we would use Trigonometry after we left school? 😁))

Until next time.

mike

• Like 12

In the absence of Ken, might I just say - WELL TIDY MUN...!! :)

On 20/11/2022 at 15:44, mitchem said:

(How many of us ever thought that we would use Trigonometry after we left school? 😁))

I didn't use it in school...!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I didn't use it in school...!! 🤣

Keith

...probably because Trigonometry hadn't been invented yet ?..  🤣

5 hours ago, Flying Badger said:

That is looking really good.

I have a long stalled 1:144 combi 737-200 on the shelf of doom that I really need to revive at some point and your build is tempting me to dig it out and decide what to do with it.

Keep up the amazing work.

Many thanks Flying Badger. I'd urge you dig it out and make a decision. Loads of colour schemes to choose from 😆

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mitchem said:

..probably because Trigonometry hadn't been invented yet ?..  🤣

I know I'm ancient, but I didn't actually know Hipparchus personally... :tease:

And you can go off people you know.... :fight:

🤣

K

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mitchem said:

I'd urge you dig it out and make a decision. Loads of colour schemes to choose from 😆

mike

Thanks. Odd you should say about the colour scheme given the box art on your build.... mine is intended to be a scheme from one of the airlines in the Canadian arctic.

I've been thinking about that stalled build all day. My Christmas present is going to be a new 3D resin printer (as I no longer have access to my old works printers!). That build stalled when I used 3D printing to make the masters for a mould to cast it in resin including the cabin and the large cargo door of a combi.... but back then it was FDM printing and I was pushing the limits of layer resolution so I wasn't happy with the detailing etc. However, now with Stereolithography (resin printers that use UV photopolymerisation) the layer thicknesses are much smaller and the surface quality is much better so it's probably worth another crack at it. I'll dig out my old 3D design files to see where I got to ready for my new toy! 😉 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2022 at 15:44, mitchem said:

(How many of us ever thought that we would use Trigonometry after we left school? 😁))

I think my school taught 'Triggernometry'....

Dave

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I'm afraid that it's been some time since I did any work on this as it had been temporarily shelved.

The flutter of excitement in seeing a 1/72 Poseidon at a recent club meeting, made me pull it down from the shelf and have another look.

I decided to strip the decals off the fuselage and freshen up the paintwork. Bit of masking involved on the cheatline before a light sanding and respray of white. Door outlines were redone and the leading edge of the tail was sprayed silver, before ending up with this :

dkRifb3h.jpg

Masking the white on the fuselage started with the bits under the cheatline :

DibZmbeh.jpg

...before wrapping the whole thing in foil (I've had a couple of bad experiences with masking tape residue on white paint before, so this is my attempt to avoid more tears) :

tTS4qX2h.jpg

Say goodbye to the wing spars, as the wings have now been glued onto the fuselage:

ZQrn8FAh.jpg

The wing joints will need a little work to tidy them up before I can splash some more grey on the fuselage.

Hoping to get this completed during the course of the year, but I have a feeling that the Poseidon may very well get over the finish line first 😁

mike

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, mitchem said:

but I have a feeling that the Poseidon may very well get over the finish line first

Haha, knew you wouldn't be able to resist....!! 🤣

Masking those decals seems pretty brave....!! 

Good luck!

Keith

• Like 1