Meteor F(TT)8 colours???

scottyphbeta

Calling all Meteor experts.......

I'm planning on building a Meteor F(TT)8 of 1574 Flt in Singapore but having difficulty getting pictures of the correct colours.

Having seen other models, a lot seem to be painted in a light grey which I'm not sure is correct as would have expected them to be an aluminium finish and if out in Singapore a very sun bleached and dull aluminium finish.

I've found a black and white picture of WE876 which has the dayglo stripes but doesn't have the black tail that is depicted on many drawings and illistrations.

Does anyone have a definitive answer or any reference photographs that may help?

I’m not sure how much use these are but hopefully some interest at least? Just links as they’re obviously not my photos or articles ...

https://www.airlinefan.com/airline-photos/Royal-Air-Force/Gloster/Meteor/WL180/4744272/

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/622061-meteor-f-tt-8-wh410.html

Don't know about the specific airframe, but the target-towing Meteors could be aluminium/silver or Light Aircraft Grey. One of Xtradecals' sets for the F8 had a Singapore-based TT example, and that was in LAG (with a black/night fin and the yellow/black undersides).

On 2/15/2021 at 9:56 PM, XV107 said:

Don't know about the specific airframe, but the target-towing Meteors could be aluminium/silver or Light Aircraft Grey. One of Xtradecals' sets for the F8 had a Singapore-based TT example, and that was in LAG (with a black/night fin and the yellow/black undersides).

Thanks, I have the decal sheet but wasn't sure how accurate this was as I'd seen other illustration showing a natural metal / silver finish.

Think I got my answer though.

I am also building a 1574 TTF Meteor F.8 from the Airfix 1/48 F.8 kit. 

From all the photos available on the net, I have come to the conclusion that the Flight's Meteors were originally in painted aluminum on its top surfaces and later some were painted LAG with black tails as depicted in the Xtradecal decal. That's the attractive scheme am going for.

Would be great if my observation can be confirmed/corrected.