1:48 Spitfire TR9 - ICM conversion

Olly_5

Starting a new project today - converting the ICM 1:48 Spitfire IX kit into a Grace-canopy TR9. The scheme I am doing is G-CTIX, i.e PT462. 

First up - Planning.

Here is the 'base plan' of a Mk IX Spitfire

spacer.png

... and the plan converted to TR9 spec

spacer.png

The red lines indicate what I'll be cutting/adding etc. . The red section will be moved forwards 6.3mm, plus with a 6.3mm piece of plastic added on the back of this section to fill the gap left. 

I'm completely new to any kind of scratch building so any tips/help will be muchly appreciated! 

Thanks, and hopefully this project wont end up in the bin!

• Like 9

spacer.png

Here's the first thing I'm doing to the kit - marking out the cut position. The shaded in box will be removed from the aircraft and the cockpit section brought forwards.

• Like 7

While I wait for filler to be delivered, I started work on the engine.

Only done the two cylinder stacks, rocker covers and exhausts for the time being. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

In the kit, they only had fishtail exhausts. However, Indy has rounded ends. I found an old Eduard kit which had these, so had to cut off each exhaust and stick them on individually. All is ok so far! 

Going to build up the engine today and then move onto the fuselage when the filler arrives. 

• Like 4

Here is yesterday's progress - added the supports and fitted it to the bulkhead. Also scratch built some more parts for the engine; pipes, the starter etc. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Olly_5 said:

Thanks Dean! That looks excellent. I imagine the problems will crop up when I'm trying to make the 2nd cockpit haha

Actually, the second cockpit is easy enough- get a second kit for it! All you need then is an instrument panel. The problem will be the rear canopy, I think- are you aware that it's not just a standard front canopy? Your drawing shows them the same length, but in reality it's about 20% longer than the front one:

spitfire-t-9-ml407-ou-v-485-sqn-g-lfix-l

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Deanflyer said:

Actually, the second cockpit is easy enough- get a second kit for it! All you need then is an instrument panel. The problem will be the rear canopy, I think- are you aware that it's not just a standard front canopy? Your drawing shows them the same length, but in reality it's about 20% longer than the front one:

spitfire-t-9-ml407-ou-v-485-sqn-g-lfix-l

Dean

Eeek I actually wasn't aware of that! Whoops, will have to find a way around that then. I'll be building it with both cockpits open, so maybe it wont be noticeable? Hahaha

• Like 1

I'll follow along too if I may - always intended to get a Brigade Models conversion set when they were available, never got round to it and regret it now seeing the ridiculous prices they are going for on e-bay!!

Good start on the engine.

Keith

• Like 2

Yesterday's progess - calling the engine done! Still have the props to do, that should take up some time today. As such, ignore the messy prop blades ! 

A fair amount of scratchbuilding was needed for the ICM engine - all pipes and wires you see have been added, along with the two vertical fastener struts on the sides, along with the one under the exhausts and making the piece behind the exhausts thicker. Also added are ignition rails (i think!) on the side of the stacks, the carb air intake duct on the bottom plus the starter on the left side. Also the first sign of this Spitfire's identity with the red nose! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

And here's the finished thing - prop details done. Not going to win any awards with this engine but I rather like it! Next up: the scary bit.... 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

I just started work on the fueslage - the scary bit (cutting) has been done successfully!

However, I've got to now start work on the cockpits. I have a load of spare parts from other kits that I can use, but I was wondering if anyone had any plans of the rear cockpit? Blueprints would be nice but if anyone has detailed photos that would help massively too!

Yesterday's progress - the fueslage cuts have been made and all is well (i think!). They look very messy at the moment but they will be cleaned up once the fueslage halves are joined (they are currently held together by tape). 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the front cockpit is also pretty much done (atleast the inner part - throttle, gear lever etc. needs to be attached to the wall.)

spacer.pngspacer.png

The instrument panel is Eduard PE that I have recycled from another kit. Several other mods were made to fit PT462 - i.e there is no plate behind the pilot's seat, no headrest and there are triangular supports going from the instrument panel to the rear frame. 

• Like 7

Nice to see you realised the layout of the front cockpit structure is different to the single seater. Nice one. If you want reference photos, have a look on Facebook at The Two Seat Spitfire Page- loads of stuff on there.

As for the identity- PT462?

Dean

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words! 

The spitfire has progressed a fair bit over the past week - all major components are either complete or in the final stages. All is left is really assembly and the markings. 

So, here's the work this week. Apologises for the lack of posting - school (albeit online for the moment!) has started again so I'm a bit more stretched for time. 

Starting with the fuselage halves separate but the cockpit installed. Note the lack of instrument panel and other gadgets in the rear cockpit - soon to change!

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here is said instrument panel. Hand painted so it looks pretty awful, but will  hopefully be okay from a distance. 

spacer.png

Next - the wings. A LOT of filler and anger needed to be directed at the gun panels! Also, with PT462 being fitted with the shorter ailerons I had to use the correct wingtips.  This also required the hacking off of the end of the ailerons. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

And just like that - it's a complete (ish!) Spitfire! Again, filler needed for pretty much anywhere that the wings joined the fuselage. This is also the first coat of paint - Humbrol 27. It seems incredibly flat so might have to buy some satin varnish for it (anyone have any recommendations?) 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here is where I am at the moment - the photos were taken a few minutes ago. Camo applied plus the underside grey.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks once again! 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Olly_5 said:

It seems incredibly flat so might have to buy some satin varnish for it (anyone have any recommendations?) 

Yes either mr Colour aqueous or Windsor and Newton galleria. Both airbrush nicely and are water based.

The mr colour goes on well and is easy to live with.

The W&N can yellow if applied too thickly, but you get a 250ml bottle for about a tenner and is available in most art shops. 

The spitfire is looking well btw.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Marklo said:

Yes either mr Colour aqueous or Windsor and Newton galia. Both airbrush nicely and are water based.

The mr colour goes on well and is easy to live with.

The W&N can yellow if applied too thickly, but you get a 250ml bottle for about a tenner and is available in most art shops. 

Thank you! I'll look into that then. 

Also forgot to mention, I added the longer glass piece between the two canopies. As its made from two 'normal' spitfire pieces, the join looks pretty bad so apologies for that. Along with that, I added the blisters just infront of the gear wells which are fitted to PT462