Port Lyautey Morocco Azur 1/72 Potez 452 **Finished**

JOCKNEY

As you will see from the photos below this build is over the 25% rule so I have asked for permission from Col to add it to this Group Build for a special reason.

This kit used to belong to a fellow kit Modeller called Donald John MacKay, who lived locally in Oban and was a good mate of @Scimitar Donald passed away recently leaving his family with an extensive stash of both books and models from a lifetime of collecting and @Scimitar real name Richard was a great help to the family in enabling them to get proper value for the items.

This kit and others Donald never finished were rescued from the rubbish bin as the family were clearing the house. I have asked Col @Col. for special permission to join this GB with this kit to finish it as a tribute to Donald. He has been kind enough to allow the kit to join the GB, for which I am especially grateful. I know I have too many builds on the go at the moment but this ones personal. I completed an He111 of Donald's in the MTO III GB recently.

As you will see from the picture below there are parts missing so I must have missed them during the bin rescue !

Many thank Pat

IMG_5601

IMG_5602

IMG_5603

IMG_5604

• Like 16

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

Good question. I see they suggest Gris Bleu Clair though some pics I vaguely remember of a WWII French Navy floatplane  were perhaps a little darker. I know you did at least one WWII French fighter in a recent GB - what did you use on that for GBC I wonder? The only problem with this colour is that the nearest Humbrol equivalent I have seen listed was Hu 146 which is no longer in production I think, and has not been for a long time - but it was Gloss Aircraft Grey. IPMS Stockholm quote FS 25189 if that helps. As I type this in the F-15C Eagle I have just built in another GB is in front of me, and the Dark Compass (Ghost) Gray on that is a bluish grey and actually not very dark so that might do as an alternative - Hu128. and if that is too dark maybe the lighter version Hu 127, or a mix - I used Xtracrylic so I don't know how the Humbrol paint actually comes out!

DSC04727-crop

Bit lighter in real life - it was a dull day.

As you are doing one flying boat for this GB, can we look forward to your Perth in the "Anything but Injection" one as well - to quote Enzo "you know you want to".😁

Later, Looked at the Azur Latecoere floatplane and they call for Gris Bleu Fonce uppers and Gris Blue Clair unders which is why I thought it looked darker.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Pat,

Can't help you with the paint colour just yet, but if I get the chance I'll have a rummage.

This is an unusual subject so I'm really pleased to see it, more so when you consider how it came to you.

Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with paint colours.

Determined not to buy yet more paint, I took a pot of Humbrol acrylic light grey and kept adding H65 blue to mix my own light blue grey, I can't vouch for the authenticity but it looks right to me.

Next challenge is making the rear canopy from scratch, just have to find a picture of what its supposed to look like.

I'll pop some pictures on here tomorrow 

• Like 3

I have found somewhere that it should be Humbrol 144 with some white added to make it brighter

That is what I am planning to use for French Navy Gris Blue

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Apologies for the lack of progress.

I have been spraying the engine cowl and tailplane in yellow, ready for the red stripes, for which I'm going to try using decal strips instead of painting. 

The wing strut arrangements looks quite complicated so I'll need to rig up something to hold the wing in place while I work out how it all fits together. 

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Good evening Pat,

this is a great project you are undertaking. Very worthwhile indeed.

I am speechless as I have never heard of this plane... Fantastic to learn something new, even on BM!

Re the light blue grey, the ADC grey would seem to be the norm among the plastic illuminati (of which I am not, be reassured). This would have translated to Hu 147.

But I suspect there is a dearth of Potez 542 pilots and mechanics at this moment in time, so your light grey is just fine!

Re the red decals strip, this is a great idea as long as you do not have bumps along their path. Much tidier than with a paint roller.

Have fun, this is going to look special.

JR

• Like 2

Pat, if I may suggest - I think there is one problem of this kit - the massive struts. The real thing had them more fragile

setN18_0284_q.jpg

maybe it is a good moment to make them thinner a bit?

regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Hi Jerzy

Thanks very much for the excellent photo, I must admit I have been struggling with the struts. It would appear that the previous owner of the kit, cut the struts and now they don't seem to fit, so I have been extending some and trying to get some alignment.

Also I have changed the paint colour as I wasn't happy it was blue enough

IMG_5745

So I added some H15 to make it bluer, not an exact science just added till it looked more how I imaging the blue/grey to look

IMG_5746

Paint changed colour and side floats added along with enough strutting to give a scaffolder nightmares !

IMG_5749

IMG_5750

Looks pretty square from the front

IMG_5751

Hopefully with a bit of filler and some paint all that strutting won't look so clunky.

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

If you remember, I pointed out that there was parts missing from the kit, the most notable of which is the leading edge wing slat. The remaining one I still have was broken.

So with some scrap plastic recovered from the recycling bin, I've made a replacement and added missing parts to the broken one. The plastic happened to be clear, so has also been used to provide the windows in my Focke-Achgelis FA225 in the "anything but injection GB"

IMG_5772

IMG_5773

Stripes next !

cheers Pat

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

We have Stripes !

IMG_5796

The decals worked really well, although the narrow ones I bought for the job are too narrow, and the wider ones are too wide so I halved the wide ones, which look right to my untrained eyes !

IMG_5797

Any remaining stragglie bits are folded over and held down with decal fix.

So just rear wing struts to add and prop, klear coat and decals, the end is in sight !

I'm feeling the great responsibility of being the sole representative of Morocco 🇲🇦 In this GB  :phew:

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

Hi Pat,

Looking good - the stripes worked a lot better this time - I remember you having trouble on a previous build a year or two back!

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

Looking good - the stripes worked a lot better this time - I remember you having trouble on a previous build a year or two back!

Pete

Ah yes my painted stripes looked like a scene from Reservoir Dogs when the masking tape came off !

• Haha 1

Good choice with decals. What it is (the decals set name please)? Still I have few Vichy machines to be done...

Regards

J-W