Mistercraft Su-22m4R, Iraqi Air Force, 1990, when the going got tough...

Everything is all primed and I only see a couple spots that still need filler.  The red circle designates what use to be (what I think anyway) a machine gun barrel.  There are two, one on each side, and didn't look so good, so I will be replacing them both with plastic rod.

50961908978_53383bf533_c_d.jpg

These two doo-dads are for the reconnaissance aircraft and I would like to build that aircraft unless someone objects.  What I need to find out is what colours they were and where they go.  The instructions are a bit vague.  Any help would be appreciated.

50962619661_65471da2c4_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 1

Ok...figured it out...thnaks Wiki...

The small one is a SPS-141 jamming pod and I think it is mounted off-centre.  The longer one is a KKR (Kombinirovannyi Konteiner Razvedky – combined reconnaissance pod) and is mounted on the centreline.  Colours match the underside except for the noses on the jammer which are radome green.

• Like 1

I think that the ECM pod is mounted on the inner Port wing pylon. There are also profiles of Iraqi Su-20s using the camera pod so I see no reason why the SU-22s would not have carried it. The colour of the ECM pod is allover Green, according to this profile.

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

I think that the ECM pod is mounted on the inner Port wing pylon. There are also profiles of Iraqi Su-20s using the camera pod so I see no reason why the SU-22s would not have carried it. The colour of the ECM pod is allover Green, according to this profile.

Thanks Jabba...Could you post an image?  That would be helpful.  The photos I have seen are of pretty beat up units...banged up, rusty...And the undersides of these aircraft are really filthy too...

In all the hubbub I forgot to show the underside of this beast.  There was little or no detail in the wheel wells so I added some plastic strip and, as you see, have repaired the nose-wheel area.  It may not be accurate but at least it is something!

50964431583_9097c4d834_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 1

I am not sure of the provenance of these two images (the internet), but they illustrate clearly how beat up and worn the undersides of these aircraft came to be.  I doubt very much that the Iraqi aircraft were any better than these Hungarian or Polish birds.

50966839922_983f2f6c4d_c_d.jpg

50966840232_88e919d67d_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 1

The word I was looking for in the previous post was 'grubby.'  They look grubby.  I will make mine grubby too, considering by the time 1990 rolled around these things had already been in a terrible war with Iran.  Grubby.  

So I have given it some pre-shading.  I am thinking of more pre-shading with some other tones, like light brown in some areas, and maybe even some darker greys in others...

50966884706_ac267de306_c_d.jpg

50966180588_30a4d48132_c_d.jpg

And why is my airbrush spitting?  Are the rubber seals worn out inside?  Is it time for a new airbrush?

--John

• Like 2

Hi John,

Pity Serge aka @Aardvark is out of contact as I am sure he would be able to help with the pods. Unfortunately he has not posted for well over 2 months , which is a bit worrying.

Pete

Thanks John,

Hope you are right, but the part of the Ukraine he lives in is a troubled place, and I am not sure how well they are dealing with Covid 19! Hopefully he will be back in contact before too long.

Pete

• Like 3

The underwing stuff gets a round of Vallejo Air 'Underside Blue (faded)'...

50969671371_f8572efd9d_c_d.jpg

As to the rest of the underside...I was wondering how to paint the exposed steel areas of the swing-wing and then it hit me...paint the exposed area, let it dry enough to retract the wing back into the wing root, then paint the rest of the plane.  It seems to have worked.

Just wait until this thing gets some Florywash Grime!  Grubby.

50969671351_f4dfef64e5_c_d.jpg

50969779097_386dfcc9ae_c_d.jpg

Obviously I will retract the wings when painting the top-deck!

--John

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 21:02, John Masters said:

Thanks Jabba...Could you post an image?  That would be helpful.  The photos I have seen are of pretty beat up units...banged up, rusty...And the undersides of these aircraft are really filthy too...

PM sent.

The aircraft is all masked and the sides have been given their line of sticky tack.  Before I did any of that I painted the dielectric areas (nose included) a very nice shade of green (Vallejo 70.967, 'Olive Green') and they have also been masked.  The wheel hubs also received a bit of the same green and they have been masked.  I masked the underside of the drop tanks because I have seen in photos that they are that way.  So...

Tomorrow I'll start in on the paint on the top deck.  Once that is dry I will mask off the rounded areas in front of the wing roots and hand paint the NMF sections that one observes there.  Kind of a complex painting process actually.

50969740003_54d9efb36b_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 4:14 PM, John Masters said:

Everything is all primed and I only see a couple spo

50962619661_65471da2c4_c_d.jpg

hi, great work so far!

but something loos a bit strange on the SPS- 141 pod the seem to be in the wrong place? also not sure about those prodrusions on the rear... he should be slabbed onto the side

sps-141_riss_b.jpg&key=1272668a494db4085

https://combatace.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.manfred-bischoff.de/images/sps-141_riss_b.jpg&key=1272668a494db408584d3d9c4e0947bc1913165f444ae8e6912d0b71ec97f930

a-russian-sps-141-jamming-pod-mounted-ti

https://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/default/flat/pouch/images-medium-5/a-russian-sps-141-jamming-pod-mounted-timm-ziegenthaler.jpg?&targetx=0&targety=-22&imagewidth=777&imageheight=518&modelwidth=777&modelheight=474&backgroundcolor=232420&orientation=0&producttype=pouch-regularbottom-medium

if you are about modifying stuff, I'd allso cut down/shorten  the fuel tanks fins a bit! that whay you'd manage to produce a more representative Fitter! 

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

but something loos a bit strange on the SPS- 141 pod

That's entirely possible.  The instructions are very vague and hard to decipher.  I can easily fix this.  Thanks for the drawings Exdraken.

• Like 2

The Vallejo Air Russian AF Dark Green is on.  I have learned that any green that comes out of the airbrush need to be thinned considerably due to the size of the pigment.  It looks alright.  I need to let it dry thoroughly and then I'll mask off the green and give it some Dark Brown, probably tomorrow.

50973379282_5fb359cf14_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

The masks are on for the Dark Brown.  To be honest it looks like the Fitter has has a run in with a Clay-mation studio!

50976571873_855affb81b_c_d.jpg

The Brown went on alright but I will wait for tomorrow and better light for some photos.

--John

• Like 3

This still needs a bit of touching up here and there. For the most part, however, it is painted.  The similar tonalities of the green/brown is funny, I think.  I hope they separate a bit more once they cure and the Florywash has been applied.  A friend of mine who is red/green colour-blind found very little difference between the two.  

50978506066_4fcb349c19_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

I had a premonition of this event...

50979372973_e39e0c4cc8_c_d.jpg

I scavenged the decals from the Eduard Mig-21 Royal set...funnily the nose cone pieces and the other decals were better.  Just the flags and roundels--not roundels--pennants?

I'll show more tomorrow.

--John

• Sad 4